TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 23, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: SCAM ALERTS! : Archive through April 23, 2018 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 06, 2018 - 9:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
She should contact the bank if they ever had her credit card.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, April 06, 2018 - 9:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, absolutely, she should probably have the card canceled, and cancel the first charge too!

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, April 06, 2018 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Thanks, everyone. I will definitely tell her.

Karuuna, you run a business. Have you ever heard about the credit card number being deleted if the computer system crashes? Now, I'm thinking she probably typed in something wrong, or they wanted to tape he voice authorizing it.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, April 06, 2018 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Grooch, most places today do live authorization... so if she is ordering on the internet, they authorize at that moment she places the order. The sale will not even complete if the number is wrong, and the number does not need to be stored unless you are anticipating future charges. Many ethical places do store the number.

I don't store credit card numbers at all, too much liability and risk today.

Pretty sure it's still a scam. I would note that almost every "shipping and handling" only order is a scam. It typically sends you the first item, then puts you on auto-ship and you have a hell of a time cancelling.

Get her a Paypal account, and have her use that to pay online. It's far less risky, they don't allow known scam sites to use them, and if they do by chance slip through and they put you on some kind of autocharge, you can go into your Paypal account and stop them. No need to call your credit card company or the merchant. It's pretty slick.

ETA: Rereading your post, there is no security feature that I have ever heard of that wipes out the security numbers in a crash. If the system crashes, it can't run any security features. :-)

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, April 06, 2018 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Pretty sure it's still a scam. I would note that almost every "shipping and handling" only order is a scam. It typically sends you the first item, then puts you on auto-ship and you have a hell of a time cancelling.

Sometimes "as seen on TV" products are interesting. I would NEVER call the number and order or order from web site given during commercial. If the product is decent at all, it will most likely be on Amazon. Look at reviews there and then order or not.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, April 06, 2018 - 9:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Color, here is something I never knew until maybe a year ago - Walmart carries a whole aisle of AsSeenOnTV products close to the checkout registers. Since I do not watch television, I never see the ads for the AsSeenOnTV stuff, so it is all fascinating to me. And, of course, in my very liberal small town, one does not admit to shopping in Walmart, so I saw this stuff in small-town Texas where Walmart is pretty much the only game in town after the grocery store and Dollartree and Dollar General and the souvenir shops.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 06, 2018 - 11:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Rite Aid does the same thing.. As seen on tv aisle.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 5:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
A few years ago a shopping center here had an "As Seen On TV" store. A store devoted only to those products.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Walgreens has them too. The deals aren't as good, ie, if they offer 2 for the price of one, you'll generally only get 1 for the price of one. But you do save on the shipping.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, April 07, 2018 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And you can see what it is, weight, size, etc.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 20, 2018 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
A scam reported on TV.

People sneaking up on a car while the owner is pumping ⛽ gas and the opposite door to the car is unlocked. They sneak up, snatch belongings and run.

Video showed how the driver was at the pump and distracted and never noticed.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, April 20, 2018 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Seamonkey. I always lock my doors when I pump gas because I leave my purse in there and I usually have my tablet with me. It must be something left over from my living in Miami days.

I keep my car completely unlocked at home, even at night. Go figure.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 20, 2018 - 11:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I do that in my locked garage, but I gather there are ways to get by garage door openers.

And there are ways to activate a remote key to open locked car if the remote is close enough to the thief, and the car.

In some areas there have been quite a few thefts from unlocked cars parked in driveways, but also from locked cars.. as reported in Nextdoor.com

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, April 20, 2018 - 12:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Just a general note that it is very easy to break into a locked car. In fact, there are “helpful” YouTube videos showing how to do it. I locked my keys in my car and the guy from the auto club opened it in about 30 seconds. It was quite eye opening.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, April 20, 2018 - 1:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I figure that since I don't leave anything important in my car at home, and if a person is determined to break in, I might as well just leave it unlocked. It saves me from having to get a broken window fixed. Plus it's annoying to walk out to the car to get something and finding the car locked.

Btw, yesterday I was at Lowe's. It was sprinkling, and I saw the window wipers make a sweep on the empty car next to us. My friend said, "Oh, they left their wipers on." I told him that if the car is off, the wipers shouldn't be going.

Sure enough, they left the car running and the doors unlocked. We went shopping and when we came back, the car was still on. We left and didn't do anything. We didn't know if it was some kind of prank, or if we went and told the store, if they announced it, somebody else might come out and steal the car.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 20, 2018 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, I had to have my last car broken into.. Same reason.

Current car (Prius C) has a smart key and twice I have been about to lock the key in and the car wouldn't allow it.

However there was a woman at Curves who did manage to lock the key in her new Prius and Auto Club was unable to open up the car!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, April 20, 2018 - 4:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I did check and if I just exit my passenger door the other three doors remain locked. I fill my gas tank on the driver side, so the sneaks would encounter a locked door.

Mack

07-22-2002

Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 8:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Like Seamonkey and others both of our cars are set up so only the driver’s side door unlocks when we stop and open the car door. I especially like that for my wife as she still works and commutes to and from work by herself and will stop for gas or other errands on the way home.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
This was a new one on me!

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/robocall-can-you-hear-me-scam/?utm_content=inf_10_2862_2

If a robocall asks ‘Can you hear me?,’ hang up immediately

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 3:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Interesting. I don't usually fall for these things but this is definitely a new one. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 5:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
You don't want to let them record a yes..

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
We had a Can You Hear Me Call about three days ago. We had both already heard of the scam. The Can You Hear Me came immediately after Bigdog and I had simultaneously answered the call on different extensions. We both shouted NO and hung up. LOL. I did then Google the phone number and make a report on it, although it likely was spoofed.

We signed up with NoMoRobo on our home landline about a year ago, so we don't get a lot of these calls, but this one came through with a second ring.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 10:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
More are getting through NoMoRoBo, but more are being caught.

I had one number that tried, and failed four times yesterday and four today.

I called the number and it said to leave voicemail, which I did.

My number is 🚫 blocked, so the number comes up as unavailable.

I did turn this one in to the FTC.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, April 23, 2018 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
So... I just got this phone call....

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, April 23, 2018 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Hahahahahaha, that is great! I guess people reporting these things might be having an effect. Unless, that caller ID is just to get us to answer the phone to see what the scam is, LOL.