TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through May 28, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Buyers Banter: Roomba Vacuuming: Archive through May 28, 2018 users admin

Rosie

11-12-2003

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Would like to hear from anyone that is using a Roomba or other similar vacuum.

How do you like it?

Is it worth the money?

Will it actually pick-up cat hair?

Will it let my cat ride on top?

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 7:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
We have one. It works for dog hairs, but because we have a sunken living room I find it easier to just vacuum.

If you have a large home with multiple rooms, you'll find that you may need to pick it up and set it in different spaces. There are sensors you can put down, to keep it from going where you don't want it to go, but that's a pain too because you need to keep setting them up in different places.

Mine's sitting in my basement now doing nothing.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have one, have mixed feelings.

There's a lot of set up to make sure it doesn't leave rooms, and making sure everything is out of its way.

It does do a good job on pet hair, but make sure you get a pet hair model. Otherwise, it gets tangled up quite a bit.

I've had mine repaired twice.

My cats don't ride on it. :-)

Rosie

11-12-2003

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
hahahaha

thanks for the information. I didn't realize there was a special one for animals. i keep thinking about getting one and then can't make-up my mind.

they didn't try huh?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
yeah, I'll use it for awhile and then think it's just as much work as vaccuuming and quit again.

I think if you could work out a system where you didn't have to pick up all the dog toys, or cords, or dog beds, etc, and set up the sensors every day, it might be handier.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 8:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
My favourite purchase for dog hairs ever is the Dyson V8 Animal Absolute Cordless Vacuum. It is so easy to use. No setup and picks up all dog hairs. Emptying the bin is easy peasy. I actually love using it and vacuum more often than I really need to.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Do you think it might pick up litter that one that shall remain nameless may accidentally and not on purpose throw out of the litter box?

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
The Roomba might. The Dyson would for sure.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Never used my Roomba on cat litter, so can't help you there.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I don't know if this story is true, but here goes. I heard that someone scheduled their Roomba to go on when they were not home. One day, their furbaby made a poop on the carpet. The Roomba rolled over it and spread brown stuff all over the house.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 8:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Actually I have seen video evidence of that. Not pretty!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 8:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
“Quite honestly, we see this a lot,” said a spokesman from iRobot, the company that makes the Roomba.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/15/roomba-robot-vacuum-poopocalypse-facebook-post

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Monday, May 28, 2018 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Yes. it does a good job picking up cat hair and litter. After using it for the first time, it picked up so much fur that it seemed like a whole kitten!

I bought extra sensors, so I don't have to do as much adjusting placement. One warning - it can get lost. Mine has gone under the sofa and couldn't get out.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Monday, May 28, 2018 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
haha Kitkat. You made me laugh: "Mine has gone under the sofa and couldn't get out."

I saw one for $899. Maybe the price is why I haven't purchased one? I can't believe how expensive they are.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, May 28, 2018 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I think it depends on the model, there are less expensive ones. And competitive brands now too.

Mine was only $350 way back when I bought it.

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Monday, May 28, 2018 - 9:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
I love my Roomba.I run it every day. This is our second one. We just upgraded a couple of months ago. The house is all tile and wood flooring. Living right at the beach our yard is mostly sand and the pups carry a ton in daily on their paws. It picks the fine sand and dog hair up like a champ.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Monday, May 28, 2018 - 9:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
which one do you have Biloxibelle?

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Monday, May 28, 2018 - 3:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
the 890

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Monday, May 28, 2018 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
I have all kinds of vacuums. I like my Roomba and it does well for quick clean ups,but I pull out my dyson for when I need a really really good vacuuming. I wouldn't use a roomba as my primary vacuum. I have been looking at the cordless dyson animal 8,Strategist. I'm torn between that and the Bissell cordless pet vac but you are the third person I know who has given the Dyson 8 cordless pet vac glowing reviews, but it ain't cheap, that's why I'm still thinking about it. The Boswell is $100 cheaper and gets good reviews but no from a " real" person I know.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Monday, May 28, 2018 - 3:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
thank you. this would not replace regular vacuuming but would be to help out with the cat stuff. one of my grands just got engaged and he brought her over here and she is allergic to cats. she is the one that suggested a roomba. lol

Strategist

07-01-2014

Monday, May 28, 2018 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
Lakecat, I'm so glad we have something in common

I got the Dyson V8 Animal Absolute Cordless because I had points on my air miles and I didn't find anything else I wanted. But, honest to goodness it is SO GOOD. It's light. You can work it on carpets and floors. There is no cord to tangle. It picks up dog hairs easily. It's simple to empty (no bags.) It's even fun to use. It's really a winner. I recommend it highly.

When I used my central vac, I pulled out the Roomba from time to time. That was because it was such an effort to vacuum. But now, with the Dyson, I've completely retired the Roomba.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Monday, May 28, 2018 - 3:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
I don't and can't vacuum at all. Someone else does the cleaning. As I said, this would just be for extra cat stuff.

I did look at the dyson.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, May 28, 2018 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Strategist it sounds wonderful... how much did you pay for it, if you don't mind my asking? With two cats that sounds like a godsend.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, May 28, 2018 - 6:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The Dyson is on sale until tomorrow morning:

https://www.dyson.com/deals.html

Zeyna

07-15-2001

Monday, May 28, 2018 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Zeyna a private message Print Post    
We run the Roomba daily, room by room. There is a bit of clean up and set up needed in advance, but I don't mind it at all. It does clean up pet hair quite good. You will still need a primary vacuum as the Roomba is not good with carpets, can't really get into the corners very well, or do stairs.