TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 19, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 19, 2018 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 5:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Dipo, CBS This Morning is going to do a story about if smart phones are listening to your conversations and that's why people are getting ads to match their conversations. I'm not sure, but it might be even when you're not using it. If I'm lucky enough to catch the story, I will report back.

Ok, I had to wait to post this because the board was doing maintenance. The story is coming up after the commercials, and yes, it is even when the phone is off.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 - 5:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Ok, bottom line is no, they're not listening. Advertisers are tracking us by every little thing we post, search for, facebook, email, etc.

Use duckduckgo instead of google.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 11:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have used Duckduckgo for some time, and it cuts way down on ads that match something you have just searched for.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I have Malwarebytes on my computer and it runs scans everyday but since I turn off my computer at night will it still run a scan? I have it scheduled for 2am but now I am wondering if I need to change that to run when it is turned on.

Thanks.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 12:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
If the computer is off then the scan will not run.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 1:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thank you, I need to change the time it runs, LOL.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Does it have a setting to run when the commuter isn't busy? That way if you walk away from the computer for awhile, it will do it while you're away. That's what I do. Then if I come back, it automatically stops, and then continues the next time I walk away.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I will check Naja, that is a good solution.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, March 04, 2018 - 11:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
So, we were gone for the winter, and had the internet service with Comcast on vacation hold during that time. When I put my laptop back in its docking station six days ago, on returning home, I started getting all kinds of connection errors and failing to open websites I NEEDED to visit, like my e-mail. (Googling revealed it was probably a DNS problem) But I don't have three hours to spend on the telephone with Comcast, so I did a few re-sets, cleared some caches, ran some malware scans, etc. Laptop seemed to have settled down since then.

So a day or so ago, I needed to go to my Comcast account for something or other. And I was trying to do something or other, and I got a message that I couldn't go any further because my equipment was obsolete. So I followed the prompts and found out it was my combination internet/phone modem/wireless router which always was a worthless piece of equipment, and which I replaced five times in the old house and finally bought my own wireless router and had them disable the wireless aspect of Comcast's combo router. So I will be getting a new combo phone and internet modem/wireless router.

Any bets on whether this one will work as one would expect? As in, you plug all the stuff in, and it just works?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 10:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Are you buying your own or renting from Comcast?

Buying is definitely less expensive. I bought one in 2013 and it only died last month. It was $200 but it saved me $11/month in rental fees over 4.5 years.

If they install, they'll stay and make sure it's working.

If you buy, you still have to call and get them to set it up once you have it all plugged in.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Juju, they work fine. And you can self install now. I had it for about a week, but ended up going to a different modem so I could use my own router. With the comcast combo modem/router, they block some settings to the user...settings that I needed for using a VPN.

They do still have stand alone modems that are up-to-date.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, March 05, 2018 - 11:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
In the stress of just having returned home after 5 months gone, and all the things to repair or replace or fix, I totally forgot about buying my own modem/router, so thanks for reminding me of that, Karuuna. Since we are gone 4-5 months of the year, and suspending service, it could still be cost-effective for me to buy one. I will be self-installing the equipment.

Naja, I thought needed a combo phone/internet modem, since I have both internet and phone service bundled through Comcast. I have a perfectly good Netgear wireless router for the internet, and have been using the Comcast rental combo for just the phone and internet modem, with the wireless aspect turned off. If there is another modem that works with Comcast and is JUST a modem for both internet and telephone, that might be my preference, and then wire it to the wireless internet router I already own.

Would you be so kind as to tell me the manufacturer and model you are using if it is a modem for only Comcast internet and phone, minus the built-in wireless feature?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 10:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Arris makes one. That's the brand I had that lasted for 4.5 years.

http://www.arris.com/surfboard/products/xfinity-subscribers/tm822r/

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 12:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Heh, thanks. I think that is the one I replaced five times and finally gave up on, and bought my own wireless router and had Comcast disable the wireless internet router part of it. Or, wait!! The one before this one was an Arris too, and it worked great, never a minute's trouble. And when I was having all the trouble with the current one, I managed to buy one of the older ones on eBay and didn't tell Comcast about it, and I had wonderful internet and phone service again briefly until Comcast found out about it and told me it was obsolete, and I couldn't use it.

Edit: The Arris TM822R is the one I was using until Comcast told me it was obsolete, and cut off my service and made me get the one I hate.

Anyway, new one arrived today, will install it as soon as I can get to it. Things are piling up around here. If it works, I will look into buying my own of that model.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 8:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I wanted to write to the TVCH administrator but I couldn't get in without downloading Microsoft Outlook. Should I download it? I don't want to mess up the computer.

(All I wanted was to know if someone would move the new Survivor to Featured Topics and to start up Recent Discussions)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 12:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
The best thing for you (or anyone to do) if you have a general request like that is to post it in the Questions to the Moderators thread which is located here:

https://tvclubhouse.com/forum/read.php?file=/1099615/11061.html&lm=1519753269

Then when one of the Moderators sees it they can respond/take care of it.

Changing the main page requires programing so I'll pass this request on to Draheid (just in case he doesn't notice it here). :-)

Another way to contact us (without using email) is by Personal Message. Just click on any Moderator's name and look at their profile. There should be a link to send a PM to the Moderator account.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The Arris TM822R

This is the one I had for 4.5 years. Worked just fine, and it doesn't have wireless, so it doesn't need to be disabled. I used it until just 2 weeks ago.

Right now I have a Comcast one (renting) because I didn't have time to go shop.

But I have 2 internet accounts at home, one for business, one for personal use. The personal use one is only getting used now because my DS moved back home temporarily. Once he moves out again, I'll cancel the home internet account.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, March 08, 2018 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Kar!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, March 12, 2018 - 11:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I am being dogged by the wazam yahoo redirect virus,. has anyone here gotten rid of it? I have tried everything but if I go to google, it redirects me to yahoo ads. I feel like it is punishing me, although I realize it makes money from clicks, hate is to mild a word for how I feel about it and other software, I have spy bot and malwarebytes installed as well as microsoft essentials. all up to date and did full disk scans,
help.
Oh and I can't google for a solution because it won't give me one. even under the redirect, heh. I have tried on my tablet, but nothing there seems to work.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, March 12, 2018 - 12:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Do you mean wajam?

http://www.wajam.com/howto/uninstall

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, March 12, 2018 - 12:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Here's another link that may help:

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/ads-yahoo-com-virus-removal/

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, March 12, 2018 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
thank you, I have to run to the store before the storm, but I will come back and read this. I seem to be accumulating a lot of dog treats that Holly won't eat. guess someone else will be the lucky dog to get them.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, March 18, 2018 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Karuuna, for suggesting multiple times that I get my own telephone and internet modem/router. I received the new rental one from Comcast and got it working. And then went to see how much that model cost to buy. $240 everywhere it is sold, which might not be worth it for me, since I am gone 4-5 months of the year. Today I decided to look again, after realizing I have a perfectly good Netgear wireless router I had to use with the piece of equipment I just replaced, since I had replaced it five times. I could just get a telephone and internet modem and hook that up to the perfectly fine wireless router I already have. So I Googled a lot and ended up at Xfinity.com, looking at the approved equipment, and of course it was all $240 +, but then I discovered the See More button inconspicuously lurking down there. And as I kept hitting See More, the price started going down. It appeared I want an Arris TM822 g or r, never did figure out what the difference is, and use my own router. So then I googled for best price on that and ended up at Amazon for $129 (normally $169, the site said) for one of them and $139 for the other. But the $129 one had a $40 coupon, which worked. So I have a new telephone/internet modem coming for $89 plus tax. And watch, now that I have prematurely said thanks, it will be the modem from hell, LOL.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Monday, March 19, 2018 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Juju you are my favorite bargain shopper! It always fascinates and amazes me how you score these incredible deals. 👍
I love sales! It tickles me that I will have the same thing or similar, that someone else has, and they paid top price while I got a deal.