TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 06, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: SCAM ALERTS! : Archive through April 06, 2018 users admin

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Typically the Microsoft scam is run out of India and they use 800 numbers just like we do. Unfortunately they basically have no rules or laws about how they are used or at least they aren’t enforced. Typically the India 800 number is just a drop and incoming calls are routed to an unlisted “call center” transparent to the caller. How they do that with a mobile number I don’t know but the Microsoft scammers have made millions of dollars from US, Canadian, and Australian citizens. They obviously focus on English speaking countries.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, November 10, 2017 - 7:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I have to give my 90 year old dad kudos. He told me he got a call from the IRS the other day but hung up on them because he didn't think the IRS would call first. Then of course he called me to double check...LOL!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, November 10, 2017 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Good for him!

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
Sorry if I did not make it clear, nomorobo is only free for land lines through cable companies.
While it is not worth is fora lot of people, if you have someone who answers the phone who is susceptible, it might be worth it for them rather then have them fall for a scam.

newest phone scam - you did not show up for jury duty, pay us now through your credit card or the police will come and take you to jail.

Sadly, I always go to jury duty and I always get the notice. 3 more years until I will be considered too old.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Saidiesmom, I didn't know it was possible to be too old for Jury duty. Is that state by state?

And what age is considered too old?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, November 11, 2017 - 2:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
My mom was 88 when she got a jury summons. I'd never known her to get one before. She was in NO condition physically or mentally to serve on a jury. She died not too many months later at age 89.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 12:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
75 is too old for jury duty in NJ. You can volunteer, they just won't ask anymore. I hate driving places where people are bad drivers and tend to bump into each other i.e. Newark NJ so i will skip it in not to distant the future, I went every time asked every other year.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, November 20, 2017 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Gosh, I can drive patients all the way to 85.. I would think it would be quite individual.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 5:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
They had to pick an age, the age for being old in NJ is apparently 75. You have to get your eyes examined at the motor vehicle dept to continue to drive at 75. My parents drove into their 80's when it was left to me, of all the children, to take their keys away and sell their cars. With my father, it late stage Parkinson's and he was not happy, he really told me how much he hated me. My mother had a stroke and lost part of her vision and she also told me how much she hated me.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 5:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
But I came here to talk about a scam,
On dot media - if you have an android phone and use it for banking, which I don't yet.
Infected flashlight apps are stealing money from Android users

two days ago I downloaded the flashlight app from google play on the advice of a friend. now I don't think I want to bank. certainly won't be downloading anything else from google play.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 5:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
sorry, on rereading, it is a possible scam not a definite scam, basically the possibility exists because the apps over ask for permission and some use your information for marketing, one flashlight app settled on this already.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, November 23, 2017 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
((((Sadies)))) I'm sorry your parents were so hurtful. It was probably just old age and misery and not their real feelings.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, November 25, 2017 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
my parents were loving, not hateful, we were the lucky kids in the family on both sides. According to my cousins, they were all envious of us. We weren't the richest, we weren't the most spoiled, but it was obvious our parents loved us within the family. It hurt when these short term angers occurred, but I like to think it was the medication and strokes and not my parents talking. IN their illnesses, they also would tell me how much they loved me and they did not want to be a burden. My father actually got well enough at one point to tell us why each of us were unique and why he loved each of us. I was special because I never gave up on anyone and tried to stay in touch with everyone - that is true, I am the lynch pin of the family, the only one who talks to everyone, including cousins who do not talk to their own siblings.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
there is good news on the scam alert.
i saw this in a localpaper, it is national, not just NJ
The fund is part of a multistate settlement with Western Union. New Jersey residents may be eligible to receive compensation if they were the victims of a fraud-induced money transfer using Western Union services between Jan. 1, 2007, and Jan. 19, 2017.
Western Union scam victims in NJ get access to $586M pot of money
this article ws from September, so this is a little late.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I got another comcast/xfnity scam email. Don't click if you get this. The word "scam" is actually in the URL they want to sent you to. LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, January 22, 2018 - 7:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have gotten several scam emails from "Apple" threatening my iTunes account.

Oh! But I don't have an iTunes account!

Jmm

08-15-2002

Monday, January 22, 2018 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
That's ok, Sea. My PayPal account is always being compromised. I might worry if I had a PayPal account. LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 12:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have one of those, but still a scam is a scam.

Also in real life someone did have that account and PayPal notified me that they changed the password and we got the password changed.

I guess they don't care as long as someone does c!I'm on the link..

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 5:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I have a paypal account that I only use for paypal, the scams all come to my general e-mail that I don't have paypal on. Ditto a separate e-mail for my e-bay account.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 10:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
This morning, I received a call telling me I was due a refund because "they" could no longer give me security protection for my computer. They give a phone number to called for more information.

I suspect this is also a scam. No company name was given. I imagine once you call, they will want an account number so that they can deposit the refund. Once they have the account number, say goodbye to the funds in that account.

No, No, No. Don't do it!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
They use everyone, I keep getting them for USAA, and I got one for BT&T and chase. I have forwarded the emails to the appropriate companies but it is amazing how many I receive for companies I do not have accounts with.

I did get one for BofA once a while back and I called BofA to ask if they sent it, confirmed it was a scam.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 10:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
The one I posted is pretty much the only one I have ever gotten that was on the mark. That's why I posted it. I do have comcast, they did send it to my comcast primary email, and I do have it on auto-pay. I guess they must hit the hat-trick just by chance enough to make the scam profitable.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, April 06, 2018 - 7:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Is this a scam?

Shark Tank made a deal with two women for an anti-aging cream. It was the largest deal Shark Tank ever made and all 4 sharks got in on the deal. This part is true.

My aunt came to me last night and said that she saw an ad for the product. You could get a free sample, you just needed to pay $5.99 for the shipping and handling. She ordered it on line. Some time later (I have no idea how long) she got a phone call from the company. The caller id was from a town about 20 miles away. She said the caller was a nice gentleman (but with an accent) and said they had received the order and was ready to ship it but he needed her credit card number again. He said they had received so many orders that it crashed their computers. She told him to call back in 45 minutes.

She got another phone call, this time from a town about 20 miles in the other direction. I don't know if it was the same guy. She asked him why if they had her name and address they didn't have her credit card info. He said it was because of a security feature. When the computers crash, the first thing that happens is the credit card numbers are wiped out for security. He explained it better than I am typing it so it made more sense. She believed him, but told him that she felt funny and she would just buy the product when it hit the stores. She said he was very understanding and didn't pressure her.

As I type it out, it certainly sounds like a scam with spoofing of phone numbers. But, the part about computers crashing and the cc numbers being wiped out, is there truth to that? Otherwise, she had given it on her original order. Why wouldn't they have it?

Thanks.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, April 06, 2018 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Yes. It is a scam. Not sure if this article speaks directly to your aunt's situation but apparently the anti-aging cream thing is definitely a scam.

https://www.onlinethreatalerts.com/article/2017/12/26/beware-of-claire-hydrafirm-anti-ageing-cream-scams/

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, April 06, 2018 - 8:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
She couldn't remember the name of the product, but she thinks it had the word rejuvenating in it. But that link certainly sounds like the same thing.

It also reminds me of the scams using the actress from NCIS and Joanna from HGTV for "their" product line that they don't have.