TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 23, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 23, 2018 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 09, 2018 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well just staying off my cell is easy.

Night before last, when my internet and my landline went down, I used my cell to call Specrtum, but while I was on hold the landline came back and I used that phone.

Going without email would be hardest, and without internet..

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, March 09, 2018 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Yeah me too, I just carry my cell in my pocket in case "I fall and can't get up", LOL. I only have it because I don't have long distance on my landline.

I don't really know how to access stuff on it and just recently used it to watch some of the Olympic events.

I do get local news updates but I usually just check out those pings after I have received several notices.

Too funny Colordeagua, I never take any pictures, hahahahaha.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, March 09, 2018 - 3:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
When I was in an Apple Store last year, they said sales of point & shoot cameras are down because most are using their smart phones. That's true of me. My current phone is an iPhone 6 Plus. I'd like at least a 7 Plus because new camera feature on it is depth of field.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 2:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
That's funny, Color. Darren and I are taking a trip later this year for our anniversary and I'm already in the planning stages. We were talking last night about the different things we like to do in San Diego and what we might like to do this time and I told him before we go, I want to get a new point and shoot camera.

I've had mine for about 10 years and it'd been dropped more times than I can count and is wonky, lol. I know some smartphones, like the iphones take fantastic pictures, but mine is a Samsung and it doesn't take that great of pictures. It's ok for those times one of my little nieces or nephew are doing something cute, but I'd be really disappointed with the picture quality for something like vacation pictures.

I admit, it'd be really easy for me to put my phone down and not touch it for a day or two. While I do occassionally use it for checking TVCH, Facebook, or Twitter, I'm happier on my laptop for that. I prefer my kindle to be used just for reading books. I'd rather have a camera for pictures and videos. And use my phone for phone calls and texting.

I didn't even have a smart phone til a little over a year ago and the only reason I got this particular one was that it was on sale when we walked into the store, lol.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I live with my DD who is going on a 2 week vacation. I though about getting a medic alert system which don't come cheap. I am going to put my little flip-phone in a holder around my neck in case of an emergency. How's that for thrifty?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Sounds like a plan, OG.

Just make sure it is charged!

Those devices work, but only if you stay home. If you go for a walk, the cell phone is useful, as it is at home.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 2:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, OG, I call my cell phone my "cheap medic alert".

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mine is for emergencies and for texting some patients and for them to contact me.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, March 10, 2018 - 10:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Excellent idea, OG. And you do know that by law (I think), all cell phones must be able to call 911 for free without a paid plan? Um, be sure to check that out before you bet your life on it.

And if you are interested in having a very inexpensive monthly phone plan that can also make calls and do some other stuff (take pictures duh!), look into Tracfone. Bigdog and I both now have iPhones, and I pay $20 each for 90 days of service that is sufficient for our needs, AND the minutes and texts and internet time accumulate if you don't use them. You just have to remember to refill the phone every 90 days. You do have the outlay of purchasing the android or iPhone, but you might have a friend or relative willing to give you an old one. Then if you go down and have to call 911, you can play solitaire on your phone while waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Sunday, March 11, 2018 - 5:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Be sure to check out Consumer Cellular. I get 250 minutes each month for $15. That is plenty of time for me as I never even come close to using that much time.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, March 11, 2018 - 10:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OG, does that $15 include any texts or data? I ask because I don't have a monthly cost, just when I run out of service time, or minutes/text/data (never happened in the last 5 years, LOL).

thanks.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, March 11, 2018 - 10:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Good question, Dipo. My $7 a month ($20 for 90 days) also includes some texts and data which I only turn on usually if I want to use the phone as a GPS or have some emergent need to see something online and away from Wi-Fi.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, March 12, 2018 - 5:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I don't know Dipo. Give them a call to find out.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, March 12, 2018 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My dad always carries his cell phone in a little case around his neck...he's so cute...LOL! It helps him because his hearing is not good so he can feel it if it vibrates.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
So yesterday I had to do something that I haven't done since 1983 - write a letter of resignation. can I tell you that it actually gave me an anxiety attack? I had to google samples!

I was at a law firm for 31 years and got laid off. I then worked a temporary job so of course when I got a full-time job I just left via my temp company. Then the next job it was a mutual decision (I hated the job and my supervisor and I agreed that it wasn't the right job for me). So the job I have had now for two years is the first one I've resigned from in decades. I knew my boss would be livid and apparently he is giving me the silent treatment today but I only have to endure it for two more weeks so it's all good!

There's really no point in this...I just needed to vent...LOL!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 10:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Roxip, kudos to you for leaving a place that wasn't right for you. What's next on your horizon?

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 11:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I have another job at another law firm. Honestly this was a great place, but my primary office was 44 miles away from my home. They have another office which is only 25 miles away from my home and it became clear to me that they were never going to let me move to the office closer to my home (it sounds weird but it took me 1-1/2 hours most days to get to work at my primary office, whereas the other office only takes about 45 minutes...it does make a difference I have discovered!) so I was offered this other opportunity and I took it.

In some ways it is very sad. I like the firm I'm working at, and my boss - although considered to be a very difficult man - and I have established a good working relationship. I am, however, way too old to spend three hours a day commuting to work. It keeps me from having any sort of a social or church life and I'm tired of it. I was hopeful I would get to move to the downtown office but that's not going to happen so I found something else.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 10:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Good for you, Roxip. Best wishes in the new job.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 23, 2018 - 6:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Thank you. I'm very excited. (And my current boss and I still haven't spoken...I was stressed about it yesterday but I'm over it today!)

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, March 23, 2018 - 7:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Congrats, Roxip!

Rosie

11-12-2003

Friday, March 23, 2018 - 7:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
congratulations Roxip!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, March 23, 2018 - 7:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Mondo congrats!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, March 23, 2018 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
congrats Roxip!!!! I also have a total of 3hrs per day commute, it does take it's toll!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, March 23, 2018 - 9:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
If a boss is upset with you for moving onto a job that is better for your work/life situation, then he is not a good boss at all.

I have been extremely disappointed when people that work for me quit, but never would take it out on them. Everyone gets a choice as to how they want to live their life. How could I ever be mad at them for chosing a different path than what I expect of them? The reality is that the 'boss' does not want to expend the effort to hire and train a new person.

While it may be uncomfortable, this is his issue, not yours. I would suggest just treating him the same as before and possibly offering suggestions for the transition. If he takes them, fine... if not, fine. Once you are gone... you will have no regrets.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, March 23, 2018 - 9:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Congrats on the new job, and on doing what is best for you!