TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 09, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Cakes, confections, cookies, etc.: Archive through March 09, 2018 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
It did turn out well. I took some to youngest niece & nephew today and the instantly knew the treats were coins and a shamrock. They had a good chuckle when I told them about the pots looking like birds nests.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I love to make strawberry shortcake with Angel Food cake and I had been buying them at the grocery store bakery. They weren't as I remembered them from years ago, they were almost like pound cakes, short and dense. But you know how it goes, often you remember things better than they truly were. I decided to test that theory and picked up a box mix, just add water. I'm happy to report that the bakery has lost a customer because the one I made was a good as I remembered and so easy.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, March 17, 2017 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Yep they did change the shortcakes, I noticed that a few years ago, really annoyed me. But then I found some at Trader Joe's, a specialty baker was making them and selling small packs. They were great but are only available for a short time.

I love angel food cake though and those mixes are fabulous.

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Friday, March 17, 2017 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
I stopped buying bakery made Angel Food cake for the same reason. I went back to making my own. After the last 2 comments about the mix I am going to give them a try

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, March 20, 2017 - 7:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Speaking of baking...I have been thinking about buying a new oven because mine is old and getting balky (and let's not talk about the crack across the cooktop from when my daughter dropped something out of the microwave). For some reason I have always thought that I had a gas connection behind my electric stove so this weekend I started trying to get my stove away from the wall to check...and the door came off in my hand! I looked at my daughter and said "Hey - looks like we're going to get a new stove!" We both just cracked up! (And yes, I think I do have a gas connection in case you were wondering if there was a point to this rather pointless story.)

Suz

10-13-2005

Monday, March 20, 2017 - 3:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suz a private message Print Post    
Good story. Do you want a gas or electric? When I get a new one I can't decide which kind to get. Good luck on picking your new one.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, March 20, 2017 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I'm thinking of selling in a few years...I think gas might make a more attractive option to a potential buyer.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, March 20, 2017 - 11:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I am afraid of gas stoves. Don't want to catch a sleeve on fire. I insisted we get rid of the gas and replace it with electric when we bought our house. I think it is because my mom didn't like gas, there were a lot of us and we are close together and I think she worried at least one of us would be burned by fire.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 - 5:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
My parents built their retirement condo 2 years ago and put in a flat top stove for the very reason you cite, Sugar. Within 6 months, they'd yanked it out and gotten another gas top. If you truly love to cook, flat tops just don't cut it. If you don't enjoy spending time in the kitchen, it wouldn't matter much. I'd never be without my gas stove top, but since I do love my convection oven, the combo style is perfect for us.

Biloxibelle

12-21-2001

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 5:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biloxibelle a private message Print Post    
My husband is the same way. I would give anything to have a gas stove. My husband hates gas and refused to install it when we built our house.

Teach, I love my convection oven also. I do wish I had put in the double oven like I originally wanted.

On the plus side I have outgrown my kitchen and have a huge room connected to it that I can extend. In my dream world I would build a summer kitchen where my screened porch is. I would love that for my canning, pickling and freezing projects.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 8:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
So trying to watch my weight (Weightwatchers) and tried a recipe last night if any of you are interested and counting points...use 1 box of cake mix (I used spice) and 1 15-oz can of pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling - just regular pumpkin). Preheat oven to 400, mix two ingredients together (it will be thick), spread in sheet pan sprayed with Pam, and bake for recommended time (mine was about 28 minutes). Cut into 12 pieces - each piece is 2 WW points. It made for a good breakfast this morning!

Still working on figuring out my gas stove. Seems like it takes it longer to come up to heat but it is spot on on cooking times so far. And it is very pretty.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 8:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I used to like the WW cake "trick". Take 1 cake mix and add 1 can of diet pop, that's all. I liked white cake and Diet Orange Sunkist pop. Make them as cupcakes and I believe they were 2 points. They were quite tasty.

My hubby used to make the pumpkin treats you mentioned Roxip, he made them as muffin/cupcakes.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 9:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I was just too lazy to put them in the muffin tins...LOL!

I think I would like the orange cake also.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, October 30, 2017 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I am going to attempt a German Chocolate Cake for my dad at Thanksgiving. Anybody have a sure-fire recipe? Should you toast the nuts and coconut before you use it in the cake recipe? I have found a recipe by Trisha Yearwood that looks pretty good but I know there are some amazing bakers here!

German Chocolate is my dad's favorite cake and my mom always made it for his birthday, but he hasn't had one since she fell ill and eventually passed away, mostly because I'm too chicken to tackle it. However, after he has gone through 34 radiation treatments over the last 6 weeks and subsequently lost his sense of taste (the radiation was on his neck and affected his tongue) I am hopeful that his sense of taste returns and feel like he deserves a real treat. Besides, he's 90. He always deserves a treat.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, October 30, 2017 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'll be following. My grandma always made my grandpa a German chocolate cake, and I've never had a good recipe...it's the only one she never wrote down. :-(

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 1:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Roxip, I have made homemade German Chocolate Cake for my husband for the last 30 years. I have a tried and true recipe for cake and frosting. Everyone who has ever eaten it wants more. Just email me at my screen name at yahoo dot com and I will email you the recipe.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 - 7:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Thank you. I have sent you an email from a Haynes & Boone account (so that you will recognize it and not think I am a scammer!).

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 4:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Recipe was sent back. Please follow to the letter, and you will have the German Chocolate Cake you have dreamed of.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 6:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Landi, I sent you an email...thanks!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 7:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Darn work - I want to go home and make that cake now!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, November 13, 2017 - 1:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I'm on day 2 of the german chocolate cake...since I didn't start making the topping until after midnight last night and discovered it had to be cooled...it was time to go to bed. Will finish tonight...but the cake batter is delicious!

It made me miss my mom so much though. I would have loved to have called her as I worked my way through the recipe for her opinion and advice.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, March 09, 2018 - 1:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I wanted to make a couple of inlay cakes for some events I have this month. The directions on the Wilton site were terrible and did not give a complete recipe/directions. Found another site with better directions, however, have decided it is probably a bit more complicated than I want it to be so will have to choose something else. Maybe another cake within a cake with a shamrock.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, March 09, 2018 - 1:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
That sounds good...shamrock inside the cake.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Friday, March 09, 2018 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Roxip, Never heard, how did the German Chocolate cake turn out?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, March 09, 2018 - 7:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I made one a few years ago Dipo and people seemed to enjoy it and were impressed that there was a pretty green shamrock in the center of each slice of white cake. I'll post a picture later if I can find one.