TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 09, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through March 09, 2018 users admin

Pamy

01-01-2002

Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
we have drills at my work and there is no way a random person can set off the alarm. I think it was like that at Dylan's schools also. I dont remember seeing any alarms that a student could just set off

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, February 22, 2018 - 11:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
If you know the school layout, you can figure out where the fire alarms are,

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, February 23, 2018 - 10:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Our fire alarms were always in the hallway. Glass case along with fire extinguisher.

And smoke alarms in the bathrooms because that's where the smokers always tried to sneak in a smoke. We had an outside smoking area, but no one wanted to use it when it was cold.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Friday, February 23, 2018 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I think it would defeat the purpose of fire alarms it they were not abundant and easy to use.

I have another question: On school lock downs, are people prevented from coming in AND leaving? People are sitting ducks if they are locked in. Yes, the shooter could get out, but that would be a good thing.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, February 23, 2018 - 11:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Generally they are thought to be safer if they lock down. If they are running through the halls to get out, they are in more danger. However, if they are close to an exterior door, they are taught to get out immediately. If not, they enter a classroom (or whatever room they can find), lock the door, and have black paper to cover the windows. Then they put themselves in a corner or closet farthest from the door. If a corner, they use desks as shields.

And just typing that makes me horrified. I can't imagine what it's like for them.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, February 23, 2018 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
we smoked in our bathrooms in high school so I dont think there were any alarms there. crazy when I think back to how smoke filled that room was...the poor non smokers back then. Im so grateful I dont have the beast inside me anymore!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, February 23, 2018 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
my hubby just told me there are alarms in halls at my sons high school. shows how observant I am, I swear I never saw one

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Friday, February 23, 2018 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, February 23, 2018 - 10:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
On a lockdown, no one is allowed in BUT it depends on the situation whether students are being evacuated. We go into lockdown if there is a threat in our community (we had a bank robbed at gun point once). In that case, kids are safer IN the building. We had a lockdown this week because of a threat on SM. We stayed in our rooms while local and state cops investigated to determine the veracity. We were VERY fortunate that it was a hoax that had gone viral on FB, but our school's initials were in the post, and we didn't take any chances as the first thing a student saw was only a screencap - not the entire post. Again, in that case, kids are safer in the classrooms while cops/admin check lockers and investigate.

If it's an active shooter, it is not considered a lockdown but the procedure is similar. We shut our locked doors if they aren't already closed and pull blinds until it can be figured out where the shooter is. If the shooter is not in our hallway - we evacuate using whatever exits/windows possible. If it is in our hallway, we barricade doors and head out the window if possible. If a shooter manages to get in a room, you do whatever you can - throwing things, distractions while still trying to get kids out.

It's scary AF and I have hated every. single. drill. we've gone through as a staff for training. We're just starting training for our kids, but by the end of next year, they'll have the same training we have. The SOP is no longer hide or cower - sitting ducks = more casualties.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 7:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I work for a hospital system. We started having active shooter training about 3 years ago when a shooter came into one of our ER’s.
It’s scariest as hell.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 7:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Teach, for the 'active shooter' policy.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I am spoiled.

I have always wanted to try a McDonald's Shamrock Shake.

My friend just stopped by and brought me a Big Mac, fries and a Shamrock Shake!

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
When I was a kid, Shamrock shakes were just vanilla shakes with green food coloring. Now I see they actually put mint flavor in them.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Yes, they have mint swirls. Very good!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
As a manager of a small Accounting Department, I always struggle with wondering if a new hire will stay very long with the company. I get more concerned about an employee if I see that they have not made 'friendships' within the company or stay to themselves. My experience has been that those who keep to themselves usually don't stay because they are not vested.

Right now, I think I have a good group of 3 working for me. No inherited or "transferred" employees from another department, which is what I've dealt with for the past 5 years. All were my interviews and my hires. This was the first time that I didn't focus so much on skills, in my opinion they needed basic accounting skills and I would train the rest. I combined that with "Did I think they would mesh in the department", during the interview process. The longest one is 3 years and the shortest is 9 months. My boss kept focusing on the system skills. I just said that I can train them in that. I want to make sure that we get someone who will fit our corporate culture with the accounting skills required, some of which I could just train. We went through 'rounds' of interviews a couple of times and the person we ended up hiring was the one I thought would work out in their first interview.

This morning, I was tickled to hear that the 9 month employee has a book club and the other 2 employees have joined it. I had no idea that they talked so much.... not sure when that happens because I have never noticed it. It just makes me feel good today because I tried something new and it feels like it's working well.

On the other hand.... maybe they are all talking about me behind my back! No worries, they are allowed... as long as they stay with the company.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 3:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I like your attitude towards your employees Kookliebird. I suspect they don't talk negatively behind your back...you sound like a supportive boss who is trying to make them better...your fear might should be that you will train them so well that they will become highly sought after employees by others!

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Thursday, March 01, 2018 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Thanks Roxip.... It's been a struggle being a manager at times, but I still remember being in their positions and the problems I had with my manager. So, even if I have to correct them about something, I try to do it in an even handed, matter of fact attitude and then move on from it. I had bosses that would harp on the same thing to me over and over... for something they told me about months ago and I corrected. They just couldn't let go of the 'mistake'. In one case, one boss had 'issues' with me, so he stopped talking to me for a couple of months. Like that works. Said we weren't getting along... Heck, he wouldn't even talk to me. It's the closest I came to leaving the company when that happened.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 02, 2018 - 7:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
It sounds like you have a very good handle on what is important for long term success when hiring for a position.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Tuesday, March 06, 2018 - 11:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
Timeline. Yesterday at about 2pm my dad was in a major car crash. They reached my brother at about 6 pm. I got news at 9 pm, too late to drive to hospital 3 hrs away.

I got to the hospital at 10 am, found him still in the emergency room bed.

He had no gown on, stated that they were bringing him food.

Room was littered with old gloves, bandages, all the things they used taking care of him hours before.

Nurse came in, telling us she was on his case now.

Time Passes.

PT came in.... looked around, cleaned up a bit, found a gown and did what he needed to do. Also communicated with me more than anyone else what was going on.

Time passes.

Monitors start going off like crazy, but dad seems fine. Another person comes in and turns them off. I ask about food. He says he will ask the nurse.

No one comes.

Time passes.

Finally transport comes in to move him to a room.

We move and nurses come help and questions are asked and pain meds are given and food is found.

My feeling right now that once the emergency passed, he was just a person waiting to be moved and the emergency peeps did not care about him for hours. No gown, no clean up of his room, no food. I wonder if it had been the same if I had driven there hours earlier.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 12:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It always helps to have an advocate in situations like that.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I would be furious but I would also wonder whether another more pressing emergency came in that relegated your dad (not that it should have) to a forgotten status? I would certainly speak to the people at the hospital about it once your dad gets stabilized.

And I hope he recovers quickly.

I don't know how old your dad is, but I know my dad would have probably just hung out without making a complaint on his own behalf (which frustrates me to no end - right now at his assisted living center he refuses to ask for help sometimes "because they are always so busy" - excuse me - we pay them a LOT of money so you can ask them for help!). I think it is generational to a certain extent.

Yes, having someone to speak up and demand attention (nicely) is always helpful but it wasn't your fault that you couldn't be there earlier. Thank goodness you got there when you did and was able to step in an intercede for him.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Yep, sometimes ya gotta speak up. I was recently in a care place for three weeks rehabbing a broken hip. The first two days the food was a lot of grease. I got LOUD about it. (I have no family. That's what happens when you're an only child, never marry, don't have kids. No good friends close by.) The food improved. Had to speak up couple more times about other things. I wonder what happens to those who don't / can't talk to in-house management as I did.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 - 11:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
well if it is generational, I am in that generation. I tend to fend for myself in hospitals. hate them so much I try to show them that i am ready and able to leave. the day that my heart stopped, my doctor said go to the emergency room right away, but i stopped to eat lunch because they don't feed you in the emergency room and i was hungry. when I went in after lunch, they took me immediately (I think I must have looked like crap) and hooked me up to machines. 10 minutes later my heart stopped monitors went off and I saw the crash cart come in, then I blacked out. Good thing I ate fast.
Glad your father is better, but you will not change who he is.

Overnight seems like a horribly long time to leave him there, that is bad for even an emergency room. all complaints are valid for that length of time, even I would have been complaining by then. hope everything is OK now and he is home.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, March 09, 2018 - 11:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
NATIONAL DAY OF UNPLUGGING...I just saw on the news that staring tonight we are supposed to "unplug" for 24 hours. Mostly they are talking about not using your cell phone to access apps, using it as a phone is ok, they didn't mention computers. It was interesting to see how some of the anchors were having a hard time even considering it, LOL.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, March 09, 2018 - 12:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
No problem with that. I am one of the few who is not attached to my smart phone. It is mostly a camera with other things attached.