TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through January 11, 2018

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Suggestions, ideas, etc: Archive through January 11, 2018 users admin

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 2:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Hey all. My sis is going in for surgery (has to have three cervical disc in her neck replaced) in Jan and we're trying to prepare. She'll stay in the hospital at least one day and they will have her up and walking pretty quickly, but for the first couple weeks won't be up doing all that much.

Bil will be home to take care of her and mom and I will help out with the girls and I'll be taking on more care of aunt. I'm trying to come up with dishes I can make ahead of time and freeze for, I dunno, the first week or so. Older two nieces can make simple meals themselves and can heat up things like frozen lasagna.

I'm thinking sheppards pie, lasagna, maybe a batch of chili and a pot of beans. Any suggestions for simple casseroles or one pot meals that will freeze well and be easy to reheat if the girls are cooking it? I may pick up a couple Stouffer type family meals rather than making it myself to save some time. I just want to make sure that if it's a busy day for bil with sis, they have easy to heat options and don't have to worry about what's for dinner.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
How about a crockpot stew. Your choice of meat, chicken, pork, beef, kielbasa, Italian sausage. Your choice of veggies.

I especially like to put kielbasa or Italian sweet sausage in my 3 bean stew. The three beans are kidney, white and black.

When it is done cooking, portion it out appropriately for the family and freeze. I think I would let it sit in the fridge for a day or so before freezing. I can taste the difference that one day makes in letting the flavors blend and develop.

I am not a cook, so that has always been the easy way for me to go.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Meatloaf is always a good easy option to make and freeze, Wargod.

Maybe some spaghetti sauce, over cooked pasta.

Jewels

09-22-2000

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 4:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
http://happymoneysaver.com/freezer-meals/

There are a million freezer meals out there. A lot of them can be cooked in a crockpot to make it even easier. :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 6:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
HOw about a nice mac and cheese casserole. Comfort food is always a great idea.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 4:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Thank you guys! I had a few ideas but really was coming up blank. What was tripping me up was the idea that things have to be simple enough to reheat for the girls to handle if they need to.

Heh, Dipo, my kids would love a mac and cheese casserole, homemade and baked. My nieces however love Kraft mac n cheese in the box with the fake cheese powder.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Wargod, I have to admit, I made some homemade mac/cheese a while back and it was ok, but not as good as the kraft box, hahahahahaha. I don't think I made it creamy enough, ended up throwing most of it out.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Thursday, December 24, 2015 - 4:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
a boneless spiral sliced ham with sliced cheese & a loaf of bread for quick lunch sandwiches. Could get a variety of canned soups to go w/that.

a bowl of chicken or tuna salad with a box of crackers or a loaf of bread is also good to have around for quick lunches.

Florin

08-27-2006

Friday, December 25, 2015 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Florin a private message Print Post    
Here is a chicken spaghetti that freezes and reheats really well. It is a little spicy

Chicken spaghetti

1 1/2 LB chicken breast cut in 1-inch pieces
1 large onion chopped
3 to 5 stalks of celery chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 tsp. marjoram,
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. accent
1 tbsp. Tony Chachere's seasoning
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can sliced black olives
1 can rotel tomatoes diced
1/2 to 3/4 stick butter
Parmesan cheese

Saute celery and onion in butter until onions are clear add rest of the ingredients. Cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Cook one pound pkg. of spaghetti per pkg instructions and drain. Add spaghetti to sauce and put in large dish and cover in Parmesan cheese. Cook in oven at 350 until hot.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Niece's coworker gave her a recipe for leftovers.

Mix chopped turkey, chopped green bean casserole, grated cheese. Plop dollops onto stretched out crescent roll dough. Pinch on all sides.

Bake in oven for mini pot pies. Sounds good, we're going to try that day after tomorrow.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, March 17, 2017 - 7:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
wish they would bring back old-style recipes of canned stuff. Like old Campbell's soups. I miss old versions of cream of chicken, meatball, cheddar cheese, etc.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Hecka - do you mean you want the original canned versions or do you just want recipes for soups like cream of chicken, etc.? I make a mean cream of mushroom soup from scratch. :-)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, March 19, 2017 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I'm actually talking about the old versions the company's sold before the "new and improved" versions came out. I miss them.

All recipes are appreciated though! : )

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 4:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I'm looking for some vegetarian and no meat recipes. We're going meatless one day a week, and while I'm big on throwing on a pot of beans or lentils during the winter, I'd like some variety, lol. Dakota's got some black bean enchilladas planned for this week. I'm looking forward to that one.

I'm not super picky, but I have a whole list of foods I can't eat (a lot of vegetables unfortunately, cuz I love veggies,) but I can usually tweak stuff to leave out things I can't eat.

Any recipes you guys love and want to share? I'd really appreciate it!

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 5:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Google Mediterranean diet recipes. Lots of plant based ideas

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 9:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Ramen - any kind but super easy to add veggies, broth or no broth, tempeh or egg as protein. We do some sort every week.

Last night I made egg roll bowls. Foundation of either wild rice or quinoa. While rice cooks, sauté onion, garlic, ginger, red pepper (and I added a poblano last night because I needed to use it up) in a combo of sesame and olive oil. All of these I chopped super fine and small. Then I added two types of sliced mushrooms and cooked with Bragg's, ginger powder, salt, white pepper and ground cardamom. Finally, I had run most of a head of cabbage in my food processor until finely chopped. Add that and cook until wilted. Put that whole mess on top of the cooked rice and top with a bit of spicy Chinese mustard or your favorite dipping sauce for egg rolls.

I've made the above and put it on top of Udon noodles, too, when I didn't have time to cook rice.

I have a blog with different vegetarian options we've tried and loved if you're interested: https://foodfamilyfriends.tumblr.com/

Texannie

07-15-2001

Monday, January 08, 2018 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Yum!!! Teach

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 12:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Thanks guys! Teach, that egg roll bowl sounds delicious. I'll have to use noodles (or do white rice) and skip the ginger, but that's going on the next menu after grocery shopping. I'm also going to have Kota check out your tumblr.

Tex, thank you. I'll do some searching, and seeing you say that, I'm pretty sure I have a Mediterranean cookbook somewhere. If not here, I loaned it to my sister.

Kota cooked the black bean enchiladas tonight. Kind of. She decided to use pinto beans because I had more of them and switched to enchilada pie because she didn't want to roll them up, lol. We all agreed it'd have been better with black beans...and she made the most beautiful enchilada pie ever. Seriously, I've been making them 20+ years and never had one come out so pretty and neat. Such nice layers and it stayed in nice layers even cut and served on plates. Also tasted really good.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 12:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
yummmmmmmm, enchilada pie, I must put that on my menu soon.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 5:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I make something called stacked enchilladas where you layer the tortillas almost like a lasagna.
Is that what enchillada pie is?

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 5:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Yep, Tex, that's pretty much it. My friend who gave me the recipe years ago added corn to hers, but I can't eat corn so I skip that. When I make it, I make 2 or 3 at a time, have one for dinner and freeze the rest for a quick meal later in the month. It's also my go to dish when someone has a baby or a serious illness in the family.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 - 7:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
It’s a great dish! I make one with roasted veggies and black beans tossed in a salsa verde with Monterrey jack and then avocado on top when it’s done.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 1:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
It's very adaptable, and it's a favorite around here, lol. I make it for birthdays, holidays, parties, etc. We usually eat it as a meal, but I've also served it (the way my friend always has) with a bag of chips , sour cream and avocado and it's eaten almost like a dip.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 6:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Never thought of it as a dip!!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, January 11, 2018 - 8:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I love enchilada casserole/lasagna, but we tried it with quinoa and actual corn, and I will NEVER go back! The texture was fantastic! That wonderful little surprise is also on my blog (can't remember if I put on my recipe for my homemade enchilada sauce - but it is so much better than canned - and SO easy!)