TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 07, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: SCAM ALERTS! : Archive through November 07, 2017 users admin

Suz

10-13-2005

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suz a private message Print Post    

Suz

10-13-2005

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 3:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suz a private message Print Post    
Thank you Karuuna. Maybe, I should answer it to see who's calling. Whoever it is they never leave a message.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    

quote:

Thank you Karuuna. Maybe, I should answer it to see who's calling. Whoever it is they never leave a message.

That is a good sign that it could be a scammer. I figure if it's important and anything that I'd want to hear, they'll leave a message.

Suz

10-13-2005

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suz a private message Print Post    
Thank you Jmm. Think I will just keep letting it go to the machine.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
In most cases these are scams. There are a few legitimate users, but as JMM notes, if it is legit, they'll leave you a message.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have learned to let most unknown calls to go the machine.

Sometimes they actually leave a silent message.

The other day I got what sounded like butt dialed message, just voices in the background.

Suz

10-13-2005

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 6:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suz a private message Print Post    
Thanks...I was afraid someone was trying to call me that I knew. I do get a lot of those crazy calls and hang ups. Drives me nuts.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 10:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I use nomorobo.com on my land line, it is free for for voIP land lines where they gather all the scam numbers, but they charge $2 a month for for cell phones. I have not had the problem with my cell, but when I have to give over a phone number to a company or web page, I always give my land line. I get about 20 calls a day right now, rings once, if it is a scam call, that it is one ring, other calls ring through. so far it has worked perfectly for me. Well last week I got two calls through after 3 years of none, so I added them to the database at their website and so far so good. I recommend it if you only want real people to get through.

Suz

10-13-2005

Thursday, September 07, 2017 - 8:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suz a private message Print Post    
Sadiesmom, I have AT&T, and don't think I can use it. Thank you for the advice.
My daughter added something called "Should I Answer" on my cell phone Yesterday. Anyone use that?

Jmm

08-15-2002

Thursday, September 14, 2017 - 10:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I got a call today from what appeared to be a local number. I didn't recognize it, so I didn't answer and they didn't leave a message. I did what I usually do and Googled it. I about laughed my behind off when the first listing said, "This number has been googled seven times in the last 15 minutes. This is not a good sign.". LOL

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, September 15, 2017 - 3:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
They're probably doing it in other areas Jmm but more and more of the robo calls I'm getting are spoofed local 210 area code numbers. Apparently in generating fake numbers they sometimes actually hit a real number. Last week I got a call with a local number with a name attached on the caller ID. For some reason I actually answered it and there was a live person on the other end. Guy said I'd just called him and he wanted to know what I wanted. He was a bit miffed and I told him I hadn't called anybody. His response was something along the lines of "Don't do it again!"

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, September 15, 2017 - 8:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
That happened to our business once, but it was our 800 number. They spoofed it and called THOUSANDS of people, who then angrily called us back.

It was a nightmare. Our phones were ringing non-stop with angry people.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, September 15, 2017 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I remember that, Kar. It was such a mess for you all for a while.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, September 15, 2017 - 8:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Yeah, Mack. This was supposedly a landline in Lockhart. I don't know anyone who lives in Lockhart. LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 15, 2017 - 8:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I got a call the other day that said American Red Cross.

It rolled.

I was curious and called the number and it WAS Red Cross.

I think this was a split of a legit number but if you answered, they would try to get a donation sent to them for disaster relief.

I went ahead and scheduled myself to donate blood, which I did today.

For cell phones, nomorobo site says only works on iPhones, Android coming soon, but it has said that for a long time.

I almost always have my cell off anyway.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, September 15, 2017 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
When I looked into nomorobo for iPhone a week or so ago, there was a $1.99 a month charge for it. We don't get that many real phone calls on our cell phones, so I pretty much never worry about answering it or even checking for messages.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 15, 2017 - 10:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, they charge monthly .

Wouldn't be worth it for me, either, for my cell.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 29, 2017 - 7:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/
2017/09/28/how-much-is-that-doggy-on-the-website-it-might-not-even-exist/?utm_term=.dbfb512dc378&wpisrc=nl_rainbow&wpmm=1

I cannot imagine buying or selling a dog or any living thing online!

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 6:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Hopefully not but the iTunes/Apple email scam may be coming back. This scam started or at least was happening frequently in 2010 and then tailed off. The scam is you get a very authentic looking email from iTunes/Apple wanting you to confirm or deny a fairly expensive purchase. Of course what they want is for you to hit the link to deny the purchase. There they ask for your iTunes/Apple account number, password, and credit card information. Obviously don’t hit the link and don’t answer the questions for personal information.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 8:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
By the way, you can usually tell it's a scam by looking closely at the Email sending address. There are often misspellings, and it's not usually from Apple.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 11:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Mrs Mack got the scam email Sunday. We sat on the patio looking at it carefully. Have to say this was one of the better done scams I’ve seen. What gave it away was right at the bottom it had a run-on sentence with bad grammar, no capitalization, and no punctuation. Mrs Mack checked her iTunes account and no purchases in ages. Naturally we deleted the email without hitting any of the links.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
This scam was reported last night by our local TV station:

Everything you need to know about the email scam targeting Netflix users

"•Netflix users are being targeted with a scam email claiming their account has been suspended.
• The warning calls for subscribers to update their account information in order to avoid an interruption in service.
• Clicking on the link provided will take you to a fake Netflix site set up to steal your personal and credit card information.
• There are some signs to look out for in order to avoid having your information stolen."

http://www.businessinsider.com/netflix-users-could-be-the-target-of-a-big-email-scam-2017-11

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I just got a phone call from someone, it was never clear who was calling, just kept saying my key license was expired on my computer and to call a number, which was an 800 number.

It was an electronic voice and they repeated the message about 3 times. Have no clue but maybe I will check out the 800 number on the the reverse phone book.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 1:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
The Microsoft “key license” scam. Your “key license” never expires and actually all it is is the authenticating key you enter when you first install a new Microsoft operating system or other software. Once it’s done it’s done and never needs to be renewed.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 07, 2017 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Interesting....I knew it was a scam but they were really bad since they didn't even explain who they were.

I just checked out the phone number on reversed directory and it shows the 800 number as a mobile number. When did they start giving out mobile 800 numbers!