TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Weighted Blankets

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Buyers Banter: Weighted Blankets users admin

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I'd like to buy my DS a weighted blanket for Christmas. Wondering if any of you have experience with them, and can make any recommendations. I have read a lot about the fill shifting, so if I'm spending over $200, I'd like to know I"m getting one that doesn't have this problem, and also one that has a removable cover for washing.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I've never heard of them, so I googled them. Really interesting. I may look into for my son too!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, November 18, 2017 - 10:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Same principle as a Thundershirt for dogs.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Very interesting concept. I imagine it could be very reassuring.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I have a friend who used to have a weighted blanket. She got it on Ebay.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, November 19, 2017 - 1:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
You know every time I go to the dentist (and I have done that quite a lot lately) and they lay the xray shield on me, I find it quiets my anxiety, it's very reassuring.

For many years, at the center where I volunteer, we have advocated squeeze machines for autistic kids (as discovered by Temple Grandin). I imagine the blanket works the same way.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, did you ever buy one for your son? If so, how did you guys like it? I'm thinking about getting one for my mother.

Thanks!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 2:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I did. I bought one on Amazon that had really good reviews. He REALLY likes it, but he has struggled getting the room temp cool enough to be comfortable all night long, he gets too hot.

So, get one with a light cover, that helps. And I'd suggest you don't go over 10 lbs for your mom.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Seems like a good concept for the right people.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Off-topic but does anyone here use an electric blanket? Any thoughts or recommendations on that?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 3:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I stopped using them years ago over concerns about
Electromagnetic energy, but one practical issue to look for is the length of cords.

It seems some electric blankets and up with the cord that allows you to turn the heat on or off of up and down are at the bottom and or they are too short to stay in a nightstand.

So read reviews of the blankets you consider.

Also it is good to have two controls if two people are using the blanket, since individuals differ in desired sleeping temperatures.

Cats and dogs love sleeping on them, too!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have an electric blanket, with my muscle pain, couldn't sleep without one.

Since it's just me, it's single control. But for a couple, you'd def want two controls.

Mine is a Sunbeam.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 3:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Also read reviews about the wires.. Some are better padded so you aren't so aware of them.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 3:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, my mother is constantly cold, so it just might work for her. Thanks. :-)

Egbok

07-13-2000

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 3:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I recently bought an electric blanket with dual controls which works great for my dh and I. He likes his side to be warmer than I do. We really like having this blanket as it adds such warmth and comfort plus we can warm up our bed before getting in for our ZZzzzz's.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Grooch, it would work better for her then.

Just one more tip - make sure you get one where the weight is secure, so it doesn't bunch.

The cover is still a good idea, because the blankets are very hard to wash.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 7:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
We had heated mattress pads which we loved. We can't use them with the type of mattresses we have now and I certainly missed them the last few weeks with the bitter cold.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, January 15, 2018 - 7:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks for all the information. The last time I used an electric blanket was at a cottage my family had years ago. The cottage was a bit rustic (to say the least) and the electric blankets made a real difference.

Our bedroom is quite a bit cooler than the rest of the house so I think an electric blanket might be a good addition.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: