TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 14, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through November 14, 2017 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, October 09, 2017 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I was just thinking I wonder if I could put something at the back of the shelf on the floor to keep it level. So maybe we will try that first.

Apparently the track at the back has a broken plastic piece, so the draw slides back and then tilts up.

That might work and then I wouldn't have to replace the vanity.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, October 09, 2017 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
A good handyman could probably just fix it for you rather than replace the whole thing. They know how to do those odd jobs.

Mack

07-22-2002

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 5:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I have learned to replace the plastic bracket at the back of the drawer and actually keep a couple of spares on hand. They have them at either Home Depot or Lowe’s and they’re not expensive. A bit of a hassle to reach to the back of the cabinet but it really doesn’t take long to switch out.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Mack, I will look into that.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 6:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
I had the plumber, that was replacing all my pipes after mold abatement, replace the downstairs sink. Yikes! $500 job, but I can't complain since he saved me THOUSANDS over other bids to replace the pipes.

Later, the contractor (which my mechanic referred me to & still works on my house) did the upstairs sink for about $100, including sink & $45/hr. They're the exact same sinks.

So check Nextdoor, to get a handyman/contractor referral lined up for when you need one.

Mine has become a dear friend too.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, October 12, 2017 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I did receive my jury summons today. It's for federal court. It says I will need to call to find out how to report in about three weeks. The jury duty is also for approximately three weeks. I don't know what my boss will say about that.

I did ask for a postponement to spring/summer when daylight hours are longer. It says check back in 10 business days. That will only leave about another week to report.

I plan to tell my boss about it when I go in on Saturday. So they are aware either way.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, October 13, 2017 - 5:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Wow, that seems like a long time, does your summons indicate any way to postpone service?

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, October 13, 2017 - 6:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
It gives these reasons:

medical procedures, or appointments, prepaid travel plans, a practicing physician, dentist or nurse, 70 years or older, care and custody of a child 10 years or younger (my excuse when I was younger) or care of an aged or infirm person, full-time teacher or student, or service will cause undue hardship.

The last one is the one I chose. Told them I cannot see to drive at night. So I need longer daylight hours during spring or summer.

So we will see. I intend to tell my employer tomorrow. Will show them the summons. I can't imagine they will be happy about three weeks off. We don't even get that for vacation.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, October 13, 2017 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I got federal summons for service in January '91 -- a lot of years ago. IIRC, I had to call the night before to find out if I had to go in the next day. If I didn't for three days in a row, then I was done. If I did have to go in and wasn't chosen for a jury, I was done. That was when I was chosen for a three day trial. Done. Very interesting experience.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 13, 2017 - 9:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mine was really long ago, in the seventies and we were on call for six months. I was on six juries.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Wow, six months? What did you do about a job?

I told my second boss about it. She made a copy of the summons. She asked me how it works? And I said I'm not sure. If I get the postponement, guess we'll go from there. I don't think my main boss knows about it yet.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It wasn't did months nonstop.. But they didn't take kindly to excuses.

My company paid my salary and took my jury pay.

I withheld one day when I had been called in at 3am, then drove to downtown LA, got on a jury, came back to work.. So I had worked a whole day.

I had a small team, so we kept the payroll going.

I was on 6 trials several days each.

Now one trial I did get excused.. There were two panels called for the two espionage trials of Andrew Dalton Lee and Christopher Boyce (the movie was The Falcoln and the Snowbird).

Those were sequestered juries, several months.

We were told by one judge that once they had called in the secretary to a bank vice president, and she brought a letter that convinced the judge that it he didn't excuse the secretary, the bank would fail 😵

So he excused the secretary and called the boss in for jury duty.

But now there are more locations for Federal courts and shorter time commitment.

Most businesses are obligated to allow people to serve.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahahahaha, I loved that he called in the boss, best excuse ever.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 9:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
He said that bank never wrote one of those letters again.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, October 16, 2017 - 1:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
LOL Sea.

Talk about no excuses, my sister told me today our aunt got a jury summons in the mail Friday. Let's ignore the fact her dr filled out the medical excuse section when she broke her neck because she was pretty much bed bound, in generally poor health, and elderly. But, shes been dead what, a year and a half now!

We're not quite sure what to do about it. Heck, even voter registration was taken care of right away...she got her sample ballot for the primaries before she died, but no mail in ballot when that rolled around a couple months later and no voting stuff since.

Mack

07-22-2002

Monday, October 16, 2017 - 6:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Right after my mother passed away four years ago she got a jury summons. We thought, and she had said years earlier, that she had gotten a jury notice and had opted out because she was over 70 years old and supposedly was put on the permanent exemption list. Anyhow, I called the number of the court clerk on the notice and said mother had passed. They asked me to fax them a copy of her death certificate. I should have saved it but a week or so later go a form letter addressed to my mother saying they had put her in the exemption list. Really?... A bit funny now but wasn’t at the time.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, October 16, 2017 - 11:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
It is so weird how some things/businesses never get the message. Wargod could they be pulling your Aunts name from their record of her California ID (I am assuming she didn't still have a DL, LOL).

On Linkedin, I occasionally get messages of new contacts I should "friend" and one of them died about 4 years ago. I have reported it to them twice.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, October 16, 2017 - 1:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
My mom got a jury summons not long before her death at age 89. She was both physically and mentally unable to serve. I'd never known her to get a summons before.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 2:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Wargod, you send it back with a copy of the death certificate. Nothing more is needed

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Landileigh, good to see you are back!!

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 4:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Hi Landi. And thanks guys, I'll have sis pull one of the copies of the death certification.

I don't know why, but I guess I thought once social security admin was informed it'd take care of all the official stuff.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - 10:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Depends on how the court pulls people for jury pools.

At one time, back when I was in Data Processing on contract to County of Orange (the one in Califw), our program pulled from the Registrar of Voters for the county and CA DMV files.

In California you can change your address with the DMV and it supposedly updates the ROV database, but an awful lot of people say it didn't work for them.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
My deferral is granted! They said I will be resummoned at a later date.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh yeah!!!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 12:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I have a question... I'm interested in knowing whether these things are typical with medical insurance, or whether this new insurance we've got isn't very good. I've been fortunate enough to rarely need a doctor so don't know what's normal and what isn't.

I needed a prescription for cream for a rash. The doc happily gave me a prescription and the insurance said no, that's not covered, you have to use something else. Is that common?

When I finished the cream I asked the doc for a refill, as I'm meant to use if for 15 days and it had only been 9. Doc happily said yes. Insurance said no, you can't refill the prescription until Day 14, so now I have to have a break in treatment (actually I'm using an OTC cream) for four days or pay the $60 for the non-insurance price. Is that normal?