TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 03, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: SCAM ALERTS! : Archive through September 03, 2017 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 1:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I am sure I have received calls on this number, but it's not on the list... might be because we moved here in 2014 which is when the period ends. My previous phone number is there, so I have filed a claim. It says you can file up to three claims per number but I only claimed once, no idea how often we were called.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 1:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's legitimate? I don't mean to suggest it isn't (I'm sure you've checked it out) but I'm just surprised.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
When i click on the link it says the website isn't secure.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I just googled and saw serval news stories with this link,
It's secure
https://www.rmgtcpasettlement.com/Landing.aspx

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Well, both my dad's and our home phones are on the list. I filed for both of us. We will see.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yes, it is legitimate. :-)

It was a class action suit, and is well documented.

The link I posted was provided by a news station in Florida.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 9:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I was pretty sure we would be on it, as we have been on many cruises and have a listed telephone number. We are on the list. Thanks for posting.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 5:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Not on the list. But one time I was part of a class action and got a check for $90. It's always good to try.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 5:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
They're back! By "they" I mean the fake Internal Revenue Service scammers. There was a large group in India running a phone scam pretending to be the IRS calling to threaten you with jail because of unpaid taxes and penalties. This group was busted a few months ago and the calls stopped. Obviously they've either resurrected themselves or a new group has taken up the scam as I got my first call yesterday. Amazingly the old group was actually quite successful as it is estimated they scammed citizens in a number of countries out of an estimated $40 million.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 9:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have participated in several class action suits. Usually by the time the payout occurs, I have forgotten what it was about.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, August 17, 2017 - 9:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Same here.

The one that worked for me was when Steve Jobs colluded with a number of publishers to prevent Amazon from selling e books at lower prices.

There were two settlements and I got a surprisingly nice amount in each of them, which I took in Amazon credits.

In those cases Amazon had the records of every purchase that was affected by the collusion.

Allietex

08-16-2002

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 3:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Allietex a private message Print Post    
Juju, I once got a "settlement" of 17 cents from a class action suit. Literally a check for 17 cents. The bank clerk had a big laugh at that one s when I deposited it. I was determined to " get my share ". L OL

Allietex

08-16-2002

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Allietex a private message Print Post    
Got one this morning from the "government grant department." I had been approved for a $9000. grant from the government for being such a good citizen. All I had to do was go to the Walmart store, buy an ITunes card for $200. To cover the cost of registering my name with the New York government bank. I strung the guy along until it was time to give him the I tunes card number and then told him I knew it was a scam. He was so indigent with me for wasting his time.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
hahahahaha, Allietex.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
If you have the heart for it, wasting the scam artist's time is often one of the most satisfying ways to fight back. Those folks HATE it, just hate it, when YOU cheat THEM out of their valuable time when they could be cheating somebody more gullible than you.

Seamonkey, thank you a million thank yous for staying on our butts here at TVCH and reminding us many times that we can stop a LOT of these annoying calls by signing up at nomorobo.com. We almost never get any robo calls at home anymore.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 11:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Juju, I agree, that was a great service Sea provided us! Now every time I hear the phone ring, I wait a moment, and then most of the time relax because it doesn't ring a second time.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 4:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I got the tip on nomorobo from someone here.

I get at least 5 rolled over calls a day.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 5:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
AT&T traditional land line still does not support Nomorobo.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Here's a new one. I got a call on the land line today, and the caller id said "illegal scam".

I turned it on and off real quick. Has anyone seen this before? It did make me laugh.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Have not seen that one yet, Grooch. Yay for your carrier doing that!

Oh, and Seamonkey, you do get the credit because you reminded us over YEARS to get on nomorobo.

Odd that ATT doesn't support it, when Xfinity does, and it should be the same sort of VOIP service masquerading as traditional land line.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I need to check with Spectrum. They have some ways to block some robot calls.

But nomorobo has been good.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Saturday, September 02, 2017 - 9:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
Verizon supports NoMoRobo, plus they started their own service. I run both.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 5:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Odd that ATT doesn't support it, when Xfinity does, and it should be the same sort of VOIP service masquerading as traditional land line.

I have traditional over wire land line -- not VOIP.

Suz

10-13-2005

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 2:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suz a private message Print Post    
I have had VOIP calls on my land line caller ID but, not answered it. I should probably already know but, what is VOIP?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, September 03, 2017 - 3:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Voice Over Internet Protocol. It's not coming from a regular phone line, it's someone using a computer to call you by accessing the phone system via their computer.