TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
VOIP Phone Service

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: VOIP Phone Service users admin

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have this service? I am considering it. My cable company charged me more than $50 a month for my cable, internet, and phone service last Saturday. I called to ask them why it went up so much and they said our trailer park quit paying for internet so we have to pay it. So I called again and they said I could have a cheaper offer. She said she would have to reset my box. When she did, I no longer had phone or internet. I bought my own modem. The internet came back, but I still have no phone service. I have an appointment Thursday, but I doubt they will be able to fix it. Plus the whole point of me buying my own modem is so I don't have to rent theirs. I've been looking into buying VOIP phone service. It seems like it would be much cheaper. Anyone have any experience with it?

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 4:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
We have VOIP provided by AT&T U-Verse and it works fine. I won't say we were forced into it but locally AT&T converted its DSL Internet service to U-Verse and that meant we'd either have to have two lines into the house, one for the regular landline phone and one for U-Verse for Internet, or combine the phone and Internet in one line. For the most part it's transparent to us and might even be a little better in terms of voice quality. If there is a downside it's that if there is a power failure U-Verse goes down and so does our phone whereas with a landline service would typically still work. Years ago that would or could have been a problem but truth is with my personal cell phone and my wife's two cell phones, one personal and one work, we've always been reachable or can call out. Fewer and fewer family and friends call us on the house phone as they know we almost always have our cell phones no matter where we are so the house phone is kind of redundant.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Guess I already had VOIP phone with my cable, but I'm thinking of getting a stand alone box that would be used with my router.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 4:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
U-Verse is kind of an all-in-one router with basically Internet and separate VOIP components. I feed the Internet side into a wired and wireless distribution system to the whole house so that we have Internet in some form or fashion in the house and around the pool. The VOIP side is fed into the existing house telephone wiring with standard phone connectors just like a land line.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Thanks for your feedback, Mack. I actually ordered the stand alone box on Amazon. Supposed to get it in a couple of days. Will see how it goes.

Read a warning that when you try to cancel your phone service, they may cut all the services off. I'm going to tell them I want to keep my cable and internet. Hoping for the best.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 - 9:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Read a warning that when you try to cancel your phone service, they may cut all the services off. I'm going to tell them I want to keep my cable and internet. Hoping for the best.

Either cut off other services or raise monthly cost. Ive got ATT for regular land line, U-verse internet, and cell. Sometimes I think of changing cell carrier. But then what would ATT do to charge for internet? After I had it for a couple years, told me monthly charge would NEVER go up. Made him repeat that a few times and got his name and employee number. It hasn't gone up since then. But if I changed cell service?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: