TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 06, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through September 06, 2017 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Looks like the stats say the numbers are pretty stable, and death rates from it are falling:

https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/brain.html

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 11:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
They don't have enough years of data with cell phones to know.. The biggest studies so far are in Sweden where cell use started sooner than here.

I had one patient who was convinced his. tumor was from cell use, but hard to say.

Best advice is to use earbuds, not hold the phone near you head (some docs say keep is out of your pocket, or bra) and that a wireless receiver in your ear may not be so great.

But definitive answers may be too late for many if there is a connection.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, August 21, 2017 - 8:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I think that the diagnostic tools available to doctors these days show things like brain tumors earlier than before...which makes it seem like a lot ore people are diagnosed whereas perhaps in the past it would have been too late for treatment? Just thinking out loud...

I know I have a friend who has been fighting colon cancer for two years - several times she has had scans that were so "almost clear" that the doctors have told her in the past that she would have been considered in remission but because scans are so much more precise now that they detect even minute amounts of cancer cells.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, August 21, 2017 - 9:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
My step-son fought colon cancer for 5 years before succumbing to it. But for a whole year he had ignored rectal bleeding. HIs choice killed him.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, August 21, 2017 - 11:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My friend got diagnosed comparatively early...but only because a dear friend of hers had died from it the previous year...he had ignored symptoms for a while - and had no excuse because his mother had died form colon cancer...symptomatic and strong family history - total avoidance of the problem!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, August 21, 2017 - 11:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Interesting, I think that it seems like there are more "ssss" now when in fact it really is that diagnostics and testing are so much better.

I just thought it was odd to see so many brain tumors, you just never used to hear about them, probably as Roxip said. And maybe people died without them being diagnosed so it only seems like there are more now.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Baby Boomers.. The first hitting the 70s.

Age is a factor in developing most cancers, and for Alzheimer's and other dementias and for so many other conditions and diseases.

There is this big group aging together.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 9:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
When I was young one always heard 'hardening of the arteries in the brain' that caused dementia.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Dementia can be caused by trauma to the brain like stroke, head injuries, concussion, Parkinson's (Lewy Body) etc.

Alzheimer's is the most common form and is associated with plaques (tau, beta amyloid) in the brain .. but some who have plaques remain cognitively ok and some with severe cognitive impairment don't have the plaques.

And some people carry genes for early onset Alzheimer's.

People with Down Syndrome are more likely to develop early Alzheimer's than the general population.

Hardening of the arteries is build up of like within arteries that continue to grow and clog the arteries and restrict bloodflow.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 3:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
New Question!

What does twitter mean when you try to look at someone's Twitter account and it won't load and you get the message, "sorry but you are rate limited, please wait and try again"?

What is rated limited?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 11:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well that is weird, I haven't ever seen that, and don't have a clue what that means. But I am not an expert on Twitter, LOL.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 1:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Huh, no idea! 😵

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Here's what it means.

In order to control the use of the Twitter API (the service which provides the twitter data for 3rd party Twitter applications such as TweetDeck) Twitter sets a limit on how many times it can be used in an hour. This limit applies to your Twitter account rather than the applications which make the calls to the API i.e. you have 100 API calls per hour in total regardless of which Twitter applications you use - it is NOT 100 API calls per application. It is also important to note that this limit only applies to 3rd party Twitter applications, the twitter.com website does not use it’s own API (mmm doesn’t seem particularly fair) and therefore has no limits.

https://blog.twitter.com/official/en_us/a/2008/what-does-rate-limit-exceeded-mean-updated.html

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 1:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, thanks Naja.....Now what the heck is Twitter API?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, September 01, 2017 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, September 01, 2017 - 2:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Thanks guys!

I guess I've been checking Twitter to much. Damn that 45. Lol!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, September 01, 2017 - 3:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So how do I know if I am using Twitter API, I still don't get it.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, September 01, 2017 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Dipo, if it helps at all, I dont have a Twitter account. I just read them on google.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q: So today my cable TV and Internet went out. The internet came back in a couple of hours (which I don't really understand since they both run on the same cable), and the TV came back, went out, came back, went out and I think may be back on for real.

Anyway here comes the question, I take a lot of greif for still using a VCR to tape shows, but if you have a DVR/Tivo can you watch it when the cable is out?

I was able to watch my tape from last night and I wondered about that.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 6:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Yes, you can watch shows you've previously recorded on a DVR/Tivo when the cable/satellite is out. As long as you still have electric of course.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I do not believe I have been able to watch a recorded show when the cable was out.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
If my cable is out, my DVR is out.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 7:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
If my satellite is out, I can watch my TIVO. I LOVE TIVO!!! We have a lifetime subscription (got it the first year it came out), and I have never regretted it. Honestly, if it weren't for Survivor, Amazing Race, and Big Bang, we'd give up satellite completley and just use Amazon Prime and Netflix, but I adore my TIVO when we get free channels for a weekend.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I cannot watch recorded shows on my Comcast DVR is the Comcast service is down.

It may depend on what type of service and equipment you have.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 8:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I thought it would be the same for everyone. Mine is Satellite, so everything is recorded actually on the device. With cable perhaps when you press play they send the recording back to you down the cable. Sorry for the bad info.