TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
House Upkeep

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Home and Garden: House Upkeep users admin

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, September 04, 2017 - 2:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Tub drain. S L O W er than usual lately I think. I'm in a one-bedroom condo if that matters. Someone here said NO, person on other side of my bathroom wall (tubs are end-to-end) wouldn't affect my drain. He said use a plunger. That should bring up black gunk. Didn't. Looked on internet. Baking soda, vinegar, HOT water. I did that three times. Maybe it's a little better -- what it had been. For a while lately it was extremely slow. Almost not draining.

And maybe it's as good as should be? When I turn on faucet with stream to fill tub and drain open, water does start filling tub. Is that a normal drain? I've lived here for 32 years and never gave a thought to tub draining before.

P.S. I have NEVER let hair go down the drain. Have always caught it with something. Few months ago I got a TubShroom. Excellent at catching hair.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Got it fixed.

Mods, you can delete this thread.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, September 05, 2017 - 2:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
What did you do? LOL....the only thing I know to do is call Roto Rooter, LOL.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, September 06, 2017 - 5:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Started by trying plunger. Person who suggested that didn't tell me / know to close overflow drain when using it. That didn't do any good. Also suggested big pan of boiling water. Didn't try that, but don't think water alone would have done any good. Looked on internet. Many sites suggested baking soda and vinegar followed by hot / boiling water. Did that three times. Didn't help. Finally was able to get into drain with long skinny needle-nose plier type things. Brought up hair etc. Not an awful lot, but enough to plug-up drain. Then used chemical drain cleaner.

My tub drain is draining.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 12:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I have an old house with pretty clogged pipes, so I use and enzymatic substance in my drains every month to keep them flowing.

Dlkuhn4

07-13-2002

Monday, January 22, 2018 - 3:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dlkuhn4 a private message Print Post    
We have a old house too and lots of roots our plumber told us to use rock salt once a month. Its worked

Suz

10-13-2005

Monday, January 22, 2018 - 12:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suz a private message Print Post    
Dlkuhn4 did he say how much rock salt to put in which drains? My sister has the same problem and had to call a plumber twice.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 22, 2018 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
My go to is ZEP, which you can get at Home Depot. Works like a charm through hair in the drain. Pretty strong stuff.

Suz

10-13-2005

Thursday, January 25, 2018 - 12:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Suz a private message Print Post    
Thank you Kookliebird. I'll get her some. Can you put it in the tub drain also?

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 1:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I had the wind capture my storm door last year (mailman could not get mail through door slot, so he left it between the storm door and the front door, and wind caught and slammed my storm door open and off the hinges.
I called several storm door repair businesses, and they all wanted to sell me a new great door, there was nothing wrong with my storm door except the hinge had pulled out of the door. They would all tell me how cheap my door was and how I needed a strong door. this cheap door was 20 years old and still looked good. today I called in handy andy, a chain of local repair men. they fixed the door for 150 dollars saving me about 1000 dollars for a new door, looks great, I pushed it and they put on a chain to limit how wide it will open, pretty great. even though the storm door people said they did repairs all they wanted to do was replace.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, October 25, 2018 - 3:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Excellent! I will remember the Handy Andy next time I have a "weird" job. Thanks for the info and glad you persevered to just have it fixed. I get so mad that everyone wants to throw away perfectly good things.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 4:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
and now for a traumatic confession. Last summer I started getting bit. I had my dog and I blamed her because what was dead in the bed looked like fleas to me. then I went and did some yard work and seemed to arouse a bunch of the new (to me) asian tiger mosquitoes that attacked me in the daytime and every time I went outside through my clothes. well. as we went into fall, I could no longer blame those things. and had to start thinking I brought a "friend" home from the hotel I stayed at in the spring. I searched and searched the bed it took me about a month to find one bed bug. since then I found plenty of bed bug poop. and today I had an inspection they said a very low infestation. I would hate to see what a big infestation would be like. I have been sleeping in the guest bedroom since I first suspected BB. so I am good.

so I had a company come and give an inspection, I was told over the phone it was free, after they inspect with just their eyes, no magnifying glass, no dog, the guys come to me and ask for 50 dollars for the service. I said what? who has to pay in cash for this kind of stuff? I said they should bill me. so the guy gets on his phone and then gives me a guy who asks for my credit card number. I don't know who is on the other end of the phone. I am not giving them my credit card number. the whole thing seemed suspicious to me. I am calling another company tomorrow. and I am double locking my door tonight.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
(((Sadies)))

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, February 14, 2019 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
We had bed bugs this year in the rental condo we have rented for about 15 years in South Padre Island, TX. At first I absolutely freaked out, and then I calmed down. I am now a bit of a bed bug expert. Yes, change bedrooms, as the other bedroom is likely not infested. Very carefully and slowly remove all the bedding from the infested bed and put it in big garbage bags and take it to laundromat and wash in HOT water and dry on hot. Bed bugs are actually fairly fragile creatures, and cannot survive heat. Get the bedroom treated. After you move back into the bed, check the bed every hour or two by slowly turning over every pillow and seeing if anything moves. Then do same with each layer of bedding. I found the fumigation survivors either on the pillows or between the top and bottom sheets. This too will pass. It happens. It is treatable. I am not the least bit worried that I will be taking bed bugs home in my luggage from this rental place, because I now KNOW bed bugs, and they only want to be in bed with me, not in my luggage.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, February 15, 2019 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Sadie, so sorry you are going through this. Nobody deserves this. Someone suggested to me that home owners insurance should cover this, but I googled it and it doesn't. It is considered maintenance.

But I did find this article from an insurance company with good tips on getting rid of them.

Link

And here is a link to help you find a good bed bug company.

How To Choose A Pest Control Company

Sending positive thoughts that this will just be a very minor infestation and is easily taken care of.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
OK, I don't think I posted the resolution as I am back sleeping in my bed. I called another company, the guy came and said I was not infested. and the boiling sheets etc was a good thing. but my mattress was clean. He also said the other company was scam artists, he could bring the dogs but it would cost me and he had a good eye. Sadly had to throw all my many many pillows out as I had stored it out side and moisture got in and they were moldy. but not a big deal, bought more. so I told him about the one big bug, drew a picture and he said it was a bed bug, but he said the bugs I was catching now were carpet beetles vacuum more. so I moved back in and not bitten,he said I probably had a few but they were either in the missing pillows or the sheets. I did spray my mattress with alcohol a few days in a row and the headboard and put the bug catcher foot stuff underneath. no bugs in it. I hung my down comforter in the sun and the coldest days for several days and put it in the drier but never washed it. I did boil the duvet. so far so good, but I do still have some carpet beetles. will keep vacuuming.

so never put you suitcase on your bed when you get back from a trip. never empty the clothes out on your bed.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, May 20, 2019 - 12:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Sadiesmom, I missed your post. So, so very happy for you! I was worried that you were going to have to fumigate the whole house and everything in it.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, May 20, 2019 - 1:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I was going to post in the garden thread last night about this cauliflower that I have to grow for my cousin's son's third grade project. I'm a gardener but the thing they gave him is the size of a nickel and it's late for starting it in this neck of the woods. It's never going to make it.

Anyway, like a good aunt, I went outside to dig the hole and prepare it. I attach the hose to the outside faucet and water the hole. Oh, crap! Gotta go find where I left the bone meal before the dog gets it! Be right back.

Found it. Last summer she ate a bag of plant-tone fertilizer and almost died.

Anyway, I walked back to the patio to get the bone meal and noticed my cell pack of lettuce needed some water because it's so windy. As I walked into the house I hear water and I'm wondering why the washer machine is on. I did a load this morning, but am I losing it and put a second load on when I got home and just don't remember?

Then I realize it's not the washing machine, the noise is coming from where the kitchen sink is! The hose faucet is on the outside of that wall. I look at the floor and it is completely flooded and the Mississippi river is just about to enter the living room and pantry.

I ran outside and turned off the water and spent the next half hour cleaning up the mess. I flung every towel and rag i could find on it. Thank goodness theres only a crawl space under the kitchen floor. Because last week, my aunt left her kitchen sink on by accident and a rag stopped up the sink and she had left the house for and hour and a half. She has over $30,000 in damages and counting.

Waiting for my bil to get here and check out the situation. I'm not turning anything on til he gets here.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, May 20, 2019 - 1:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
BIL just left. The "frost free" faucet that was installed 2 years ago froze. Thankfully that's it and easy to replace.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, May 20, 2019 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, what a surprise that must have been Grooch, so glad it turned out ok.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, May 20, 2019 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Welcome to your senior years way early, Grooch. Glad you weren't racing to the airport when this happened. And that you have a Fix-It BIL.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Monday, August 17, 2020 - 10:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I am running on empty 3 weeks ago a pipe broke under my sink. I didn't notice until my floor started bubbling up. So I called a guy in for estimate, he saw the leak. I called a plumber and he fixed it. A few days later I went in the clear and the floor was wet. Called plumber back but before he came, the washing machine broke and flooded the floor. The plumber found a broken pipe in the wall behind the cabinets and black mold growing in the cellar. I called my insurance company. They said don't fix it until the assessor gets there but the floor started smelling moldy, so I had to rip up part. The assessor came and said he would send someone to fix the pipe Friday. He did not because the insurance company did not approve the claim since I did not send in the pictures?
What pictures? They had sent me a letter requesting photos. I got the letter Saturday 3 weeks with black mold and I could not reach them today. Oh and my hot water heater broke Saturday and the down stair sink pipe in the wall broke then too, so only there upstairs sink and shower cellar sink and toilets are working. And I have do tor appts every day. If I don't hear tomorrow I will sit in the insurance office after my appt.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 8:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
OMG Sadie's. That is an unfortunate series of events to happen all at once! Good luck with the insurance company... Big hugs!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So sorry, Sadiesmom, hang in there, hope that the insurance and other can help you soon! I know it is very draining and hard to deal with the insurance people.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Sadiesmom, call Serve Pro. Their motto is "Like it never happened." And it's true. They deal with the insurance company, too, so you don't have to.

I've known people how have used them after flooding from hurricanes, and when my aunt flooded her kitchen.

Here's a link for the company to read about them. There might be one closer to you. the%20like%20before%20the%20disaster,Link

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, August 19, 2020 - 11:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
I am working with serv pro, we are waiting for the insurance. If I had gotten the letter earlier, I could have sent in the pictures earlier. My niece spent a day with youtube and fixed the water heater. Something about the dial being off, so she had to light it in a spot that didn't say pilot.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: