TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 26, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: TVCH OVER '60ish" Thread : Archive through April 26, 2017 users admin

Abby7

07-17-2002

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 9:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Tex Hugs to you

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 4:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Thank you

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 6:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Texannie, I don't know if this will help, but here are some of my thoughts and maybe something here will help or lead you in the right direction.

1. Instead of getting medical power of attorney, can you be listed as a person at the doctors' offices that they can talk to you (HIPPA thing)? Sometimes people at the doctors' offices can be of some help.

2. Also, if your father can't afford his medicine, sometimes the drug companies has grants for it that will pay for it.

The doctors office filled out the paperwork for my mother for her cancer treatment. She had medicaid, but when her husband died, her income went up by $200 and she lost it. You can also try googling the medicine, the drug company and grants and see if you can find something there.

3. If you are able to be added to the dr.s list of HIPPA people, see if they have a portal, so you can see the doctors notes, etc, online.

4. Make an appointment at Social Security and go talk to them. They should be able to help you. They are actually very nice over there. With an appointment, you are in and out of there fast.

5. Juju! I have some inkling of a memory that she once posted a Web site where you put in the drugs name and it will tell you the cheapest pharmacy to get the medicine from. They all charge different amounts.

6. I don't know how you get health insurance in TX, but around here, we have insurance brokers that will come to your house and help you sign up for Obama Care and find the best insurance company for you. They are independent and are not paid by the insurance companies. Do you have something similar to that? If you have something like that, I would assume they would be able to tell you how much the penalties are for your father not having part B or D. (The SS office should also be able to tell you, too.)

7. Also, keep an eye on your libraries newsletters for events. Every fall our libraries have guest speakers to inform people about what you need to know about medicare changes, etc. It's to late for this year, but they can help you for next year. If they do have these "lectures", I would look up the old newsletters and see if I could find who spoke at the last one and try to contact them. I actually did that this year for my mother.

That's all I have for now. Good luck. I can understand your frustration since I'm trying to navigate my mother's care. It's not fun.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 6:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I have some inkling of a memory that she once posted a Web site where you put in the drugs name and it will tell you the cheapest pharmacy to get the medicine from. They all charge different amounts.

GoodRx I'm not on any drugs, but my dog needs pheno for seizures. With GoodRx I pay 40% - 50% less than I would otherwise. It is good. Says it can help lower cost even if you already have insurance. Definitely worth checking out.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 9:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Way to go, Grooch. That was a LOT of very good advice. There should be several things in there that will give Texannie ideas for further resources and things she can check out.

The person with the website for comparing drug prices was not me. Maybe Seamonkey?

quote:

6. I don't know how you get health insurance in TX, but around here, we have insurance brokers that will come to your house and help you sign up for Obama Care and find the best insurance company for you. They are independent and are not paid by the insurance companies. Do you have something similar to that? If you have something like that, I would assume they would be able to tell you how much the penalties are for your father not having part B or D. (The SS office should also be able to tell you, too.)

Unfortunately Texannie's Dad is in Texas, which was one of the deeply Republican states that was going to/will let half of its population die before they would/will accept anything but the unilateral repeal of so-called Obamacare. Texas is one of the states that did not implement the Obamacare exchanges, and therefore, as far as I know, poor people are pretty much screwed. There are no helper insurance agents for the non-wealthy.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 7:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
We are not alone!

I was just reading a Face Book post that said:

"Locals, can you help me. I have 'CC 12:00 noon' written on my calendar for today. Does anybody know what CC might be?"

Then she adds "It is hard getting old."

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Conference call?

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 7:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I guess it could be anything, Grooch.

I don't know the woman who posted.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Wow, i missed the post somehow. Thanks for all the great info, Gooch.
Juju, we have the exchange here.
The hospital system i work for offers a Medicare Advantage program. The main problem i have is getting the step monster to give me information. She just wants me to pay for things, but if i try to find a cheaper option she throws road blocks my way.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 8:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
No problem, Texannie. BTW, try looking into AARPs Medicare program, if the one at your job doesn't pan out. Joining AARP is only $12 a year and their insurance was the best one I could find for my mother. The broker said that Dr.s like their insurance because they pay on time. Lol!

I'm sorry you have to deal with a step monster. As if your job of helping your father isn't difficult enough.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 - 11:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Grooch!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 12:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

Juju, we have the exchange here.

Texannie, I am SO happy to know that. I had no idea that some areas of Texas had opted into the Affordable Care Act. That does relieve my mind quite a bit.

You stick with Grooch. She could be the kid Seamonkey and I never had. I was SO sorrowful when Grooch disappeared for years, and then she came back better than ever! Can we say Yay Grooch!!! and c'mon Fruitbat!!???

Abby7

07-17-2002

Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 8:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Yay Grooch!
.🌺

Abby7

07-17-2002

Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 8:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
i'm shrinking! Have noticed not reaching top shelf. So, while at the doc I asked for my doc to measure my height. 2.5 inches shorter than when last meaured ( mid 90’s)

Wth!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 2:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Abby, I am going to ask for that! I used to have no trouble getting stuff off the upper shelves, and now I do.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, April 20, 2017 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I can still touch an eight foot ceiling while standing on my tiptoes, but it is getting a lot more difficult. I now have to get stuff off the top shelves for Bigdog.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, April 21, 2017 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
My lifetime of 5'4" is now 5'3".

Abby7

07-17-2002

Monday, April 24, 2017 - 5:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Thinking of trying the product ensure. Anyone here ever try it?

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, April 24, 2017 - 5:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I use it all the time as I have bit of trouble keeping weight on. I don't like it right out of the fridge. I let is warm for about 15-20 minutes and use a straw in the container. The only flavor i like is the Coffee Latte. I drink the original. I've noticed they have come up with newer versions but more expensive.

One thing I've used it for is on the odd occasion I'll have restless leg when I first go to bed. I get up and drink an Ensure and it completely stops it. I think it's because from time to time I'm not properly nourished.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, April 24, 2017 - 5:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Abby, I used to buy it for my stepfather when he was still slive. It is soooo expensive. Even with the coupons. I had switched to the Kirkland brand from Costco. It was cheaper by like $6 and you got more product.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Monday, April 24, 2017 - 7:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
.I just purchased the ensure enlive for muscle weakness. Chocolate 16 8 oz for 33.47. Hope it helps.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Monday, April 24, 2017 - 8:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
I drink 1-2 bottles of regular chocolate ensure daily 1 in morning and 1 at night, think they're 8oz. Just pull straight out of the box, shake well, and chug it out of the bottle. Helps a LOT dealing with my weight loss and weakened legs. Maybe pricey, but better than falling, for myself.

We buy it at Sam's Club after previously @ Costco. Kid Sis always checks prices so when it is on sale she gets more bottles for less cost at Sam's. So then she buys 3 boxes at a time. We've tried different flavors but everything that's not choc makes me burp for hours & flavors anything I eat. We've also tried different generic brands, but I keep coming back to ensure brand, due to flavor issues.

But it has helped tremendously for the past couple of years. Good luck!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 7:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I saw a post on Face Book, asking if you do this:

Take something to cook out of the cardboard box. Read the directions. Throw the box away.

Retrieve the box from the garbage to re-read it.

Retrieve the box a second time.

I also do that with cook books. Look up the recipe. Close the book. Have to go back to the recipe. Close the book. etc.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, that is funny. I never throw away the box until I am finished cooking.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 12:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
You are smart Dipo! I will try to do that from now on.