TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 30, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: Daily Poll: ARCHIVES: Archive through August 30, 2017 users admin

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 1:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
PS - this caused great consternation when the Harry Potter movies came out and the movies did NOT match the movies in our heads....nor did the voices match those of Jim Dale's! LOL

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 1:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
A

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
A. I also took the test in the link.

This score suggests that your visual imagery is more vivid than usual. Scores at the upper end of this range are suggestive of ‘hyperphantasia’: exceptionally strong powers of visualisation. About 23% of people score in this range, the highest of our five bands. If you consider your imagery to be exceptionally strong, and would like to be included in future research, you can contact the team at Exeter University through this email: a.zeman@exeter.ac.uk
Your score:
36/40

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
Teachmichigan, this is the reason I cannot see a movie if I read the book. It never lives up to my vision.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 5:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
A. I took the test as well and I was in band A.

Oddly enough though I'm sure my Mom would have been a C or worse. She had no ability to remember images (though she was exceptionally intelligent in other respects). One funny thing my Mom and Dad told me. My Dad was in the Navy in WWII and one time my Mom told him "You know .... when you go out to sea, I can't remember what you look like." Pretty funny ..... afterwards.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Sunday, August 27, 2017 - 5:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
A. I have trouble watching movies and tv shows based on books I've read without complaining.

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Monday, August 28, 2017 - 5:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
A

Test results: This score suggests that your visual imagery is more vivid than usual. Scores at the upper end of this range are suggestive of ‘hyperphantasia’: exceptionally strong powers of visualisation.

Books definitely play out as movies in my mind. I figured it was that way for everyone because I really can't imagine it being any other way.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, August 28, 2017 - 8:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
So far:

A: (vivid) 6
B: (blurry) 1
C: (nothing) 3

I hope people keep answering as what confused me as the article spoke as if everyone saw this movie thing you're describing when I had no idea it existed, I thought it was just a metaphor. Both hubby and I see nothing, and so far (although tiny sample) 30% of you, when in the article says it's about 5% of the population. I bet the 5% is a complete guess, they just assume everyone else is like them, lol.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Monday, August 28, 2017 - 8:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
A

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, August 28, 2017 - 4:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Another thought... anyone who answered A (or anyone else really), what about sounds or words?

If you imagine a beach can you hear the waves? If you remember your spouse asking you something do you hear their voice again in your head, or just remember that they said those words but with no associated sound?

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 5:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
My answer was A and these are interesting follow-up questions. I'd never have thought about any of these questions, figuring if this is how it is for me then it's how it is for everyone, all of it simply normal brain function.

To the second part of your question, yes, if I imagine a beach with waves I can hear the waves and yes, when I recall words spoken to me I can hear the voice speaking them.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 7:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It is just something where you assume everyone else is the same. It never occurred to me people could actually "see" things that weren't there (and now I guess you "hear" things that aren't there too!!) and it kind of throws you for a loop for a while!

I've asked on facebook as well and I'm up to 24 replies with 38% of them Cs, much, much higher than the 2-5% the articles are saying. What might be telling is that five of the nine Cs (56%) are physicists or computing people compared to two of the 15 As/Bs (13%), so I have a very sciencey sample.

If any of you guys want to put yourself into a category (science/computing vs not) feel free to entertain me with this! The only person I knew who was computing is Sea, so I put the rest of you as non computing/science.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 8:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
If you imagine a beach can you hear the waves? If you remember your spouse asking you something do you hear their voice again in your head, or just remember that they said those words but with no associated sound?

I remember everything. It's like watching a movie in my head.

I've done both arts and science.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 3:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I can hear things.

I also can feel things like the sun's heat or ground that I am walking on.

I have to be in a meditation to do that though.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Yup, I hear the waves. :-) I'm a language arts person and piano player, so definitely not science. I try to teach my students stress relief in our jobs skills class, and one of the things we talk about/practice is visualization and deep breathing.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 7:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
If I concentrate I can hear sounds to accompany visualizations.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
You seem to be somewhere in the middle, Mame.

I have another side question for the As! How does this work with memory? Just because you recall someone visually, I presume that means the picture isn't necessarily accurate?

Like if you'd just been to Safeway and I said "imagine you were back at the bakery counter, describe the person serving you" you would recall the person visually but if you didn't remember the colour of their apron, say, you'd envision them wearing some generic apron that felt correct, but wasn't identical to theirs, right?

I guess what I'm asking is how reliable are the images of things you've seen (not things you just fantasised from books or whatever)? And are you aware that parts of them may not be accurate, for example would the server's apron be fuzzy in your image because it's part of a real scene that you don't remember enough to recreate?

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 9:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    

Yes, I hear the waves and the voice of the person talking.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I find this topic so interesting. I think I'm in the "B" category.

I remember things like the sound of waves or my hubby's voice, but I only have a fuzzy "picture" of those things.

I'm a very pragmatic, computer, science type of person. I also suspect that many people like me are more like "C's"

I think the artsy type are more like "A's"

I feel like I'm missing out. I wanna be an "A". Boo hoo.

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
If I'm interacting one-on-one with the person at the bakery counter, I'm not going to forget the color of that person's apron. I'll see the person and their apron clearly in my mind's eye.

However, if someone asked me the color of his shoelaces, I would have no clue because I didn't see his shoelaces and I'd envision them as generic brown laces.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
I envisioned white running shoes with white laces.

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:39 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
There are some great exercises here to help with learning to create mental images. It seems that it takes a lot of time and, based on the comments, some people don't get any results. But, I want to give it a try anyway.

If nothing more, I hope it will build some neurons in my brain and it might help improve my memory. LOL

http://unchainmybrain.com/learn-to-visualize/

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Let me know how you get along, Strategist! I have read a couple of posts (elsewhere) from non-visualisers who have tried really hard to visualise and have suddenly heard voices... which freaked them out so much they immediately stopped trying! I just feel very weird about it, like shocked that people can experience this and also that I didn't know they could. Everybody just assumed they were like everyone else.

For a while I as wondering why anyone would want to live in the real world if they could conjure up a fantasy world whenever they wanted. But I guess if you always have had these images they seem commonplace not magical.

Also a lot more things are making sense. Like the appeal of things like Dungeons and Dragons.

Thanks for the replies about the baker's shoes. Just what I was trying to get at.

Sorry (not sorry) for hijacking the thread! If anyone wants to change the poll question please feel free. Please also feel free to continue to indulge me with more answers ;).

Strategist

07-01-2014

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Strategist a private message Print Post    
[It's a fascinating topic.] I believe that extremely high mental image visualization is what people use to win memory contests. Also, magicians and em-paths may also have this ability. Even people who teach people to memorize people's names and things like that use this technique.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Huh! I don't see my original reply to this post, but I replied A. I am a science-y computerish person.

I can also hear things mentally. I do not consider myself to be musical at all, but I can often sing songs and remember lyrics from up to six decades ago. And if I start on a forgotten tune, I will keep working on it until I get the melody right with my recollection. Not sure if this is the kind of thing they mean. I just think everybody can do this.

Oh, and I also have bizarre coincidences occur ALL the time. For example, about a week ago, I was mentally working on melody and lyrics to some obscure song from the sixties. Next day I walked into a store, and the song was playing on the PA.

Which reminds me - Prior to the internet (where one can now look up every obscure fact), I could often get the answers to extremely obscure questions simply by thinking about them. I would be trying to remember or puzzle something out, and the next day, or within the week, there would be an article about that very topic in the local newspaper. I am not making this up. I sort of think not everybody could do that back in the old days, but I always found it fascinating.

And, of course, all of this was back in the days when facts were facts, which is sometimes not the case these days of alternative facts.