TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 20, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through August 20, 2017 users admin

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Help please. Had our trees trimmed yesterday. Anyone know how to get tree sap out of dogs fur? While Cleo has enough I might be able to shave her and get it out, and she is horrible about getting trimmed, Pj was just shaved a week or two ago and is still pretty short. Considering my hands are still sticky from picking PJ up after washing them, I'm fairly sure shampoo and water isn't going to do.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 2:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
How about Dawn dishwash soap, that's what they use on the birds.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 2:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Peanut butter?

http://ontariospca.ca/blog/removing-tree-sap-from-your-pet/

Abby7

07-17-2002

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 4:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
War, take Cleo to a groomer as soon as you can. It will not cost that much... more than usual though.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 5:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
Jmm areyou familiar with yellow box sandals?

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Thank you guys, that took some work! Kitt's link suggested olive oil, which I had a whole bottle of, no pb here. Soaked all the spots on both dogs with oil, let it sit a couple minutes and then washed them with dawn to get the oil out. Then used their dog shampoo. Both are sap free. Unfortunately, tree is still dripping right where both of them like to lay in the sun. We're trying to throw dirt down often so its not sticky.

Cleo is horrible getting clipped, Abby. She literally screams like we are torturing her. takes at least pne person to hold her, and has taken up snapping at people. She's somewhat better with scizzors, but we have to be quick and she always looks choppy and uneven. I hate the thought of taking her in to subject some poor groomer to her or traumatize her even further. Oh, and as far ad we know, no reason for her to act like that.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I haven't heard of them, Lakecat.

Lakecat

10-01-2006

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 8:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lakecat a private message Print Post    
They are at Belk, Steinmart various other places. Different styles,Super cute and very squishy.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I'll have to see if I can find some locally. Thanks, Lakecat.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Jmm, I love FitFlops!

Might not be squishy enough.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 4:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I'll look into them, Sea.

I'm just looking for something to wear around the house, maybe out somewhere with less that 10 minutes of walking. My knees and back are bad so for any amount of walking at all I wear shoes.

Gidget

07-28-2002

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
Jmm, I started with heel spurs in addition to really bad knees. My doctor recommended a slight heel and that helped. But what really helped was when I found them in the form of a flip flop. Since then I have been wearing flip flops and it keeps the situation tolerable. Only do shoes outside the house in cold weather. I don't even go barefoot in the house.

But my point got lost there. I just looked for flip flops with a slightly thick sole and it is magical. I don't buy name brands unless you count Joe Boxer. I don't buy the dollar store ones with the pegs in the side because they hurt my feet. The ones I bought in Kmart this year were $12 range. Spend that much an you might find what you want.

I will admit I do covet a pair of sketchers but there is no way I would pay $45 for a flop flop. Just call me old fashioned. I remember $1 flip flops from Zody's when I was a kid. Those were the only rubber flip flops.

Some years back I bought a brand called Sugar Floaties. They were too squishy for my taste but definitely memory foam like.

l

Gidget

07-28-2002

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
Does anyone know this to be true? I always thought if you went out early 62 you received whatever your 62yr amount indefinitely.

What if I Want to Start Receiving Social Security Benefits Early?
If you start receiving Social Security at age 62, your monthly benefits will be reduced accordingly--by as much as 30%. They increase with each year as you approach full retirement age, at which point you will receive full benefits.

So, for example, if your full retirement age is 67, at age 62 you would receive a 30% reduction in benefits. At age 63, you'd get a little more: a 25% reduction in benefits. You'll get a 20% reduction at age 64, and so on.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 7:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Gidget, my understanding is they reduce it because it has to last longer, and that in the long run you receive the same amount of money.

But I am not an expert and I wanted my money now, LOL, not sure how long I will be around and with the news lately I am glad I took mine early, LOL.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 7:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yeah, it's a bit of a gamble.

Take it early, and you get less, but if you live long, you might end up with more money.

Or wait and get more money, and if you don't live as long, it works out better for you.

If you start taking it at 62, you'll "break even" if you live to be 77-78.

To answer your question; the amounts given are the amounts that are *permanent* reductions based on the age you start taking benefits.

So, if you start taking benefits at 62, you have a permanent reduction of 30%.
If you start taking them at 63, you have a permanent reduction of 25%.
If you start taking them at 64, you have a permanent reduction of 20%.

So, the reduction doesn't change by year. The reduction is based on the year you start, and it's always the same. The way your quote above is written is a little confusing.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Yeah, the speaker at our retirement class suggested we might want to take it early. He said that there were no guarantees in life that we would still be alive by the later date. Turned out to be true, all of my friends except one, died early from various cancers.

So I & Kid Sis & Big Bro all opted for early SS.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 8:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
That makes sense, Gidget. I think I'll try and see if I can find some Sugar Floaties. I like squishy. LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 8:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Social Security.. Definitely it is a gamble.

I managed to wait until 63 but at that time I had incredibly high medical insurance costs, and had two major projects needed on my home that required being done in order not to face finds from my HOA.. so I didn't see how I could hold out another year of two.

Six weeks later, I was dx with cancer, and happy to have that insurance.I

And after saving up, I was able to get those projects done.

On the other hand, it is a substantial reduction.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 8:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And speaking of flip flops, and also of investment in better footwear (I don't mean designer, just better for foot health), I got this link in email this morning.

TheTroublewithFlipFlops

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 9:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Social Security -- I took it early. Started at 62. Then the next year was the first ever there was no COL increase!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

Does anyone know this to be true? I always thought if you went out early 62 you received whatever your 62yr amount indefinitely.

Gidget, I am older than 62, but there comes a time when we all have to figure this thing out. I am sure you can find an answer on the Social Security website, but from recollection, if you decide to start receiving benefits at age 62, you stay at that level for life, unless you opt to pay it all back as a lump sum when you reach the regular age. But by that time your payback will be a very large amount, so you won't want to do it.

In short, it is a crapshoot. Roll them dice, baby.

Gidget

07-28-2002

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Gidget a private message Print Post    
Thank you for all the answers. Literally (j/k) I always thought you received what ever you got when you first went out. Not counting COL increases. But then I read the paragraph I saw above and thought maybe I had it confused or they changed it.

So it all seems to be the same. Now if I just had a crystal ball. Joking aside there may be some extenuating circumstances involved in my decision. I like gambling but my idea of a big bet is a $5 scratch off.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 9:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
The COLA adjustments vary year to year. The following link shows the percentages over the past years.

Cost-of-Living Adjustment (COLA)

https://www.ssa.gov/cola/

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
If it helps, I noticed that in all cases your break even point is 77 years old. If you die before age 77 you'll have received more in SocSec than you would have if you'd waited until age 66 to claim; if you die after age 77 you'll have received less in SocSec overall than if you'd waited to age 66 to claim.

If you live until 90 you'll have "lost" 13% overall if you take early retirement at 62, lost 10% at 63, lost 6% at 64 and 3% at 65.

That's ignoring the effects of having the money early on to pay off debt or save or whatever, and ignoring COLA increases.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 6:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
NEW...
So I was scanning the obits, I like to see what people born in my year die from, you can't always figure it out but I try. Anyway I realized that it seems like I have been seeing a lot of people dying from brain tumors so it started me thinking.

I used to work with a gal who didn't want to use cell phones because she was certain they would cause brain tumors. This was back in 2000, and she was a super nerd programmer young gal.

So I got to wondering, are there really more people coming down with brain tumors now than in the past, or is it just that we now hear more about them than we used to?

Any thoughts.