TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 19, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through July 19, 2017 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 1:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
A weird movie I thought. Why am I thinking there was an equally bad sequel?

Rissa

03-19-2006

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rissa a private message Print Post    
Aww, John Wyndham is one of my absolute favourite authors. Trouble with Lichen and Chocky outrank Triffids but read it a few times and have seen the movie with Howard Keel (also a fave!!) as well as one other adaptation that is a blur at the moment.

ETA: I didn't know about a sequel but took a look for you and there is one! Written by Simon Clark and called: Night of the Triffids

Also Spielberg has purchased film rights to Chocky FYI. Wish someone would take a big screen stab at The Chrysalids. Lol

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 4:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
There was an old film, that I haven't seen, but what I remember most was a tv miniseries, which - I suppose I was young at the time - was absolutely terrifying! Hiding behind the couch stuff! Although having found it on youtube a few years ago I'm not quite sure how I was so scared, the triffids moved so slowly.

There was a sequel that didn't do so well, and then another tv series remake, which, as is often the way, should have been left undone.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 5:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I'm familiar with the Rocky Horror Picture Show song.

Thanks for another great image of plants against Karin.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, June 16, 2017 - 8:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Funny, I've heard that song probably a hundred times (at least) and never caught the triffid reference...LOL!

And ever since the discussion got started I keep thinking about tribbles, another 60s reference (Star Trek).

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q: So where do June bugs go? Do they just have a short life span.

I never see them for more than a couple of months, all of a sudden they show up and then all of a sudden they are gone.

things that I wonder about, LOL.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Tuesday, July 04, 2017 - 10:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
I look forward to the answer Dipo, I have no idea.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 3:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
i don't know, dipo but you come up with some great questions

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 5:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Interesting question as I was just wondering why this year was relatively light for June bugs. Not a June bug expert and actually don't like them as we like to sit out on our patio and at night they're attracted to the light. Some years we can literally get forced inside by them but not this year. Easy answer might be to turn off the patio lights and sit in the dark but then we get four legged critters like raccoons, skunks, and possum dropping by. I know from previous experience that June bugs have a very short adult life, about four or five weeks. I also know that they can, if there are enough of them, wreck havoc on plants and lawns.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Apparently nobody knows where the June bug goes! I have been reading about them and they talk about their long (relatively for a bug) life before they reached adulthood, but very little about their adult life. I guess they eat, mate and die! And get all over my laundry area in my garage.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 2:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, too funny. I have been busy and haven't managed to do any research. Thanks Roxip!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, July 05, 2017 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Probably eaten by crows.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 9:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
As far as I know we don't have any junebugs here in Portland, but I do remember them when I was a little girl in WV.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 10:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Absolutely despise junebugs, gross flying missile bugs. Once upon a time, I had an apartment where there were so many of these little horrors flying into me whilst I was unlocking the main door, I'm surprised I don't have permanent dings on my head. I can still hear it hitting my headband, ugh! My apartment was on the 1st floor by that main entrance door as well, so I could never go outside.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 11:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
i remember them being around when i was very young but do not remember seeing them recently. of course, i haven't thought of june bugs until your question dipo.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, I only have 2, but I remembered that they just sort of appear every year.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oddly enough, after this discussion started, I actually saw a June bug, which is a beetle, when I was walking! At the time I was pretty sute, but just looked up online and yes it was. It was just on the ground.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 1:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I hope you stepped on it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I've never minded june bugs, but then again I've never had them hitting me in the head either.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 16, 2017 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
No, didn't step on it.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q: I am watching a fascinating show on National Geographic Channel about the Airport Security in the Colombian Airport. Man that sure seems like a scary airport, I think I would get nervous even tho I would never smuggle drugs.

Anyway, I just wondered who do you know when you need a visa to travel to a country, does the airline tell you? I haven't ever flown anywhere that I needed a visa so I don't have a clue how you figure that out.

I imagine if you use a travel agent they would tell you but since so many people make travel arrangements online I was wondering how you would know.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/americans-traveling-abroad.html

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
You have to look it up yourself. Sometimes when you book a flight the booking site also reminds you you must have a visa to travel, or you have to enter pre-flight details that make it clear you need an extra document. But if you don't do it and get to the point of check in at the airport the agent at the gate will ask to see your visa or authorisation to travel and oopsie, guess you won't be taking that flight after all.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 1:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh, thanks Kitt. I know my friend had to get a visa for Russia but that was like a no brainer, LOL.

Do you visa for Canada? I know we didn't for Mexico, I was very bummed that they wouldn't/didn't stamp my passport, LOL, and it has been ages since I went to the Caribbean, and that was back in a time when I doubt visas were required.

So interesting.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I don't know of a Caribbean island that requires a visa and, in fact, I'm pretty sure none do. Tourism, and particularly the cruise variety, makes it counterproductive to require visas. Now you cruise far enough south out of the Caribbean to South America and visas can become a requirement. Luckily neither our immediate neighbors to the north or south require visas.

As for passports stamps.....that's kind of hit or miss with a lot of misses. While entry in and out of the European Union usually garners a stamp in the passport, and even that sometimes doesn't happen, the stamps themselves are nondescript. Gone are the days of what was at one time a unique stamp for each country in the EU. As for reentry into the US I don't remember the last time my passport got stamped. My present passport was issued in 2014 and in four trips out and back I have not one US reentry stamp.