TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 15, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 15, 2017 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 9:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I was telling a friend of mine about my bra/brain article confusion, after laughing she asked, "OK, so what do we do to age proof our brains?" I had to admit I did not know as I never finished the article after I realized I misread it.
Which we decided was a strong indicator that I should have read it.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Sugar. I do crossword puzzles, luminosity.com, brain candy - http://www.braincandy.net/?8cb4e196-are-you-saying-these-common-english-phrases-correctly ; and stuff like that.

I like to hope that it helps me keep my brain working

Wargod

07-16-2001

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I don't know what research says, but after 13 years or so working with the elderly, and my aunt, my own eyes says those who did puzzles, were crafty, or read were mentally sharper than those who didn't. My aunt did soduko and crossword puzzles until her shaky hands got so bad she couldn't hold a pencil and she was a voracious reader til she died. Drs thought it was great.

One of our men was a college level math professor who worked out complex eqations for fun. In his 90's, he also volunteeredwith an elementary school to tutor kids and he swore it was the mental gymnastics he had to do to bring math down to a young kids level that helped him stay mentally sharp.

Er, not saying y'all are elderly, just that these people had kept their brains active by doing things like puzzles and reading, etc.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 4:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Wargod. I think games/puzzles are the ticket.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 4:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Scam?

Selling an item on Craigs List for $300. Get an offer from someone who says they'll send me a cashiers check. When it clears, they'll arrange pick up (they are out of town).

I said that's fine, but I need more information about who will pick up. He said he will hire movers (it's a large item).

Okay, I say fine. THEN he says, he will include money for the movers with the cashiers check and I pay them.

I say no, I won't pay movers. He says "you understand it's not your money, I'm going to send their fee with your money."

I say "no deal unless you pay them."

Maybe I should just say "no deal". Seems fishy?

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 5:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Scam. Get a USPS money order, if he is legit he should be willing to do that.

The bank can come back a few weeks later and say the check was fake, etc, and take the money out of your account.

To fishy for my tastes.

Plus, let's say he is legit. If you hired the movers with the extra money he sent, aren't you still liable for the item until he gets it?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Over-paying with a fake check or cashiers check is a classic scam. The bank does a provisional clear after a day or two but then in a week it bounces. The buyer will split what you pay the movers and you're out the item and whatever you paid them for the move.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 7:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Plus they know where you live and may return with the truck.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I agree, tell him no thanks.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 9:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
thanks all.. I hate selling on craigs list but there are some things it's hard to sell elsewhere

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 9:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LMAO, tell him to pay you and the movers he needs to go and purchase a bunch of itunes cards, like the IRS scammers ask.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Or since he obviously has the cash (since he's buying a cashier's check) just have him send it Western Union. LOL

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 8:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Well, when I told him he had to pay the movers himself, because if he could pay me then he could figure out a way to pay them, or the deal was off... I didn't hear another word from him.

Then I looked up the phone number online and found it was listed as "unsafe".

I hate Craig's list. :-)

But Love all of you!!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Years ago, before scamming, I sold big heavy thing on eBay. Pretty sure I said it had to be sold locally so it could be picked up. I'm in Chicago 'burbs. Was contacted by someone in Texas. He wanted it. He arranged for pick-up and shipping. I didn't have to do anything. It all went well.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 10:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have seen people selling things on nextdoor.com.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, July 13, 2017 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Definitely a scam, but you already knew that by the time I arrived.

Yes, as Seamonkey mentioned, I would try NextDoor.com. It is still somewhat easy to fool them for right now, but at least you can look at a profile from your replies. We sold a LOT of stuff when we downsized in a small amount of time last fall. I sold some on Craigslist and some on NextDoor, think I sold more on Craigslist, but I was also selling at ridiculous prices, had one woman ask me if I actually meant $30 and not $300, and she insisted on giving me extra money, just as I was laughing up my sleeve about them hauling this heavy stuff away from my multi-level house with the steep freaking driveway on the steep freaking hill.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, July 14, 2017 - 8:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Found an article about Craigslist scams on Kim Komando today:

https://www.komando.com/tips/349850/craigslist-shopping-and-selling-scams

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 14, 2017 - 8:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
yeah, the stuff I'm selling is office equipment. I sell personal stuff on Facebook and do okay. I am having trouble moving some specialized office equipment I no longer use.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, July 14, 2017 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
And I suspect these schemes might be targeted toward people with hard to sell and hard to move items, hoping to snag somebody who might be getting desperate to sell.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, July 14, 2017 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Could be. Darned scammers.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, July 14, 2017 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Do you have any consignment shops in your area that might be willing to pick up and sell it for a portion of the sale price, Karuuna?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Not that I know of. One item I'm selling is listed on Ebay for $1995, I'm selling for $300. That's the one the scammer hit on.

I'll try listing on Ebay and see what happens. :-)

The other is a warehouse ladder, can't be shipped, so it will have to be local.

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 9:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Is Seamonkey around? Does anybody know if you are supposed to tip the "Road to Recovery" volunteers, and if so, what is considered an ok tip?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 11:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Naja, my guess is no tipping is necessary, it is volunteer work. But if you wanted to offer cookies or something like that they might enjoy it.

I did do some google searching and there was no mention of tipping needed.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 15, 2017 - 9:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Naja, we are absolutely not to take tips or gas money!!!

ACS is very serious that the rides be free and a volunteer effort.

LOL about cookies. I have had some patients determined to feed me, but really, a thank you is enough. I have been thanked in any number of languages and have to say the pleasure is all mind in meeting these great people.

Only wish I was local to you to help.