TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 09, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 09, 2017 users admin

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 - 7:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Yeah Merrysea. Me too. Sometimes getting 6-12 emails a day which I just delete & immediately clear Trash. When I opened one (once) Kaspersky prompted "Phishing Attack blocked". This week it seemed to stop, but today it's back with 2 emails.

At least when I got my BOA credit card bill a couple of weeks ago that I use for Amazon, there were no charges for Amazon. I'm afraid to ever order from Amazon again, we'll just buy gift cards at the grocery store in the future.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 5:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
We've started using Amazon Prime a lot this year and so far it's not resulted any strange emails. Like most scam emails I really don't think there's a direct relationship between using Amazon and the "your Amazon order has been canceled" scam. Those I can deal with. What I'd like to get stopped are the endless "Credit Card Service" and "Microsoft Security" robocalls. The no-call registry is useless and blocking numbers is meaningless as they aren't real phone numbers and they rarely use the same fake number twice.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 5:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I use Amazon Prime a lot. No phishy e-mails.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 5:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
I don't use Amazon Prime, never have. Maybe that's the difference?

Jmm

08-15-2002

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I use Amazon Prime and I get those "order cancelled" e-mails. I don't believe they have anything to do with using Amazon or not. I think they are exactly what they're called - phishing scams. You will get them whether or not you buy from Amazon they just send them to every e-mail they can come up with to try and "hook" someone and get their account information.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 10:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

We've started using Amazon Prime a lot this year and so far it's not resulted any strange emails. Like most scam emails I really don't think there's a direct relationship between using Amazon and the "your Amazon order has been canceled" scam. Those I can deal with. What I'd like to get stopped are the endless "Credit Card Service" and "Microsoft Security" robocalls. The no-call registry is useless and blocking numbers is meaningless as they aren't real phone numbers and they rarely use the same fake number twice.

"Rachel" very faithfully called us EVERY single for the past five years or so to tell us there was nothing wrong with our credit card, BUT ... Until finally this spring, I snapped, and our much older friends bragged about nomorobo.com, which Seamonkey has been preaching here for years. Go to nomorobo.com and sign up your phone. You will learn to love when your phone rings just once and then sends the call to oblivion when it is a robot calling. We almost cheer out loud at our house these days when we get a (diminishing number of) one ring call, meaning nomorobo is doing its job.

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 3:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I will have to check that out. Thanks.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 5:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
nomorobo.com doesn't work with AT&T. AT&T doesn't support it. AT&T

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 9:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have been getting the one ring rollovers with nomorobo.. But also an increase in non robot calls violating the do not call list.

The phishing is not the fault of Amazon (where I shop almost daily, since I buy kindle books, but also many other items), Target, where I don't order, or Walmart, where I never shop, or Chase bank or... Fill in the blanks.

I would hate to boycott based on a legitimate business being spoofed.

Ask Karuuna how much that can hurt a business.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 10:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I can attest to that, it can hurt terribly. For a large business like Walmart or Amazon maybe not so much.

But for a small business it can be overwhelming.

At one time, some scammer spoofed our 800# for their outgoing calls. We were inundated with return calls from angry people, even though we didn't initiate the calls, or do anything wrong.

It overwhelmed our phone lines, our staff, and our minds. Our actual customers couldn't get through. We felt like we had to answer the phones for them, but people would just start swearing at us, blasting us for calling them. Lasted for about 2 weeks.

So I do advocate thoughtfulness before you return any weird numbers. They may be victims as well.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 5:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
When I opened one (once) Kaspersky prompted "Phishing Attack blocked". This week it seemed to stop, but today it's back with 2 emails.

I miss said that last night. What Kaspersky really flashed was "Malware blocked". Sorry for the confusion.

Only got 1 email today. I very rarely shop at Amazon, not happy how they've taken over our town. But got talked into buying 3 graduation present gift cards. Just received my latest bill today and thankfully no charges to these creeps still.

What makes it seem like it's coming from Amazon is they land in my in-box under Amazon web address. Not landing in my spamblocker, as would happen to new web addresses. Maybe they were hacked?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 5:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I was getting those for a while, it's like they come in batches, first the package ones and now the banking ones.

Then, they stop for a bit. It's like new people purchased the email addresses or something.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
And another thing about my lovely Nest thermostats...my upstairs a/c unit quit working Monday night so I shut it off in hopes of containing further damage. My a/c guy came out yesterday and called me (my daughter was supposed to be there but she forgot and went to get a piercing...don't get me started!)...at any rate he was examining the outside unit and I was able to turn on the a/c upstairs from my phone, he was able to diagnose the problem and it was fixed before I got home! SO COOL! (No pun intended.)

Again, thank you Mr. and Mrs. Mack. I'm such a geek but I love messing with this thing!

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 1:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
You're welcome. We're pleased with our Honeywells. They have the phone app too and my wife loves it.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
My husband and I decided to go get sandwiches at Subway for dinner. After the young man finished making my husband's sandwich, I asked him to please change his gloves as I am sensitive to the peppers and jalapeƱos on hubby's sandwich. The kid had a funny look on his face. He thought I asked to please change his clothes.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, July 06, 2017 - 11:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just clicked on an MSN link, "17 Ways to Age-Proof Your Bra". Cool, thought I, extending the life of a bra could be a good thing, it will wear well and look better. I was confused as the article talked about eating a balanced diet, fruit, veg, avoid sugar, get exercise and sleep.
The article is "17 Ways to Age-Proof Your Brain".

This leads me to believe that both my bras and my brains are tired and should likely be replaced or updated or something.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 12:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
hahahahahahahahaha.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 6:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
ROFLMAO -- I can't tell you how many times I think I have read something and it seems odd and I realize I've read it completely wrong!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
it does happen, doesn't it?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 2:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Sugar, I do it all the time except it is absent minded listening. I will hear something on the TV and stop and think...that makes no sense, until I figure out what the word that it was supposed to be and not the one I made up in my head, LOL.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Heh, I have slight hearing loss in both ears and I often hear things wrong. The one that still makes me giggle, Bush was giving his last State of the Union address. I was in the kitchen listening to the tv in the living room and I was ticked because he kept talking about a monkey.

I was fussing up a storm, so many important things going on and he's talking about a monkey? Darren was laughing his butt off and I finally stomped out of the kitchen to see what was so funny. He finally gasped out that Bush was talking about the economy, he'd said money, not monkey. Oops.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, July 07, 2017 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I wasn't a fan of bush and monkeys are creepy so I would have had the same reaction Wargod.

I guess these are the little sillies that can give a good giggle.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 10:25 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Roffling my butt off here that is hilarious Sugar!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 08, 2017 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I know it is normal and happens every year, but it is just weird watching Christmas movies in July. I am watching one, while I cook from a heatwave, but it just feels odd.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Sunday, July 09, 2017 - 3:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I don't like looking at snow this time of the e=year.