TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 20, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Meal Delivery, Cooking Kits - Costs, reviews, etc.: Archive through June 20, 2017 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 7:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I am starting this here instead of cooking thread so everyone can find it, and we can keep all the comments that have been made.

I will copy pertinent ones over.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 7:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Dipo Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 7:05 pm
Oh and I am trying out Blue Apron, I got a 65% off email so it is only costing me $20 for the first week, after that it is $60 per week for 3 meals for 2 people.

The best thing is that I can skip weeks, which I am sure I will have to do since there will likely be more food than I really need.

I also looked into Sunbasket.com which is a local group and maybe a little more organic. It is a little more expensive at $75 per week.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 7:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Karuuna Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 1:50 pm

Here's what Blue Apron says:

http://blog.blueapron.com/how-were-upcycling-our-blue-apron-boxes/

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 7:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Dipo Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 3:01 pm

Grooch...I made Seared Steaks & Salsa Verde with Fingerling Potatoes, Asparagus & Radishes.

It was fantastic, didn't take long to prep and make, probably would have gone faster if I had made it before but I followed the instructions exactly.

The only thing I couldn't seem to do was get the garlic to make a paste but it was fine in the dish as mincy as I could get it. I should have used my zester.

The meat was superior and the surprise was the cooked radishes, I would never have thought of that and they really did add to the dish.

I really enjoyed the dish for my Sunday dinner.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Karuuna Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 6:34 pm

I'd like to know what meals you get...and how much choice you have. Do you pick from a list of meals offered?

Like you, 3 meals a week for just me would be too much.

You say you can skip a week, but is there a certain frequency you have to meet?

Can you cancel at any time?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Dipo Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 9:20 pm

Karuuna, you can cancel at any time. There are 6 options per week. And I didn't see any frequency requirement.

Seamonkey and Abby, I think that would be Munchery.com; I want to try them next after I give Blue Apron a couple of weeks.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Dipo Monday, June 12, 2017 - 11:02 am

I don't know Naja, I don't watch that show. The ones I know about are...SunBasket.com; plated.com; hello fresh; munchery; terraskitchen.com
and purple carrot.

I was trying to figure out what the prices are for them and what their menus are but they make you complete too much info before you can access that.

However, once you have completed some info they start sending you %off emails, LOL.

I got a 50% off my first box email from Munchery today.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 8:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey Monday, June 12, 2017 - 1:32 pm

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2462892,00.asp

Just one of many reviews out there.. She compares to other services, but mostly not in the west.

Munchery reviews are mixed in your area.

Also I read to look on Groupon for first time user offers.

I think I will stick to what I am doing, for now.

I will be interested in your future experiences.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 8:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Abby7 Monday, June 12, 2017 - 6:05 pm

I checked the munchers site. Found the ready made food. Found a salad and salmon that looked good. However, to order they asked cc info before giving me price of delivery. I like knowing delivery charge before giving cc info (even though I know I have to approve charge before it goes through). So called, couldn't get a person. Just want to know delivery charge.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Rosie Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:13 am

i went back to munchery and there definitely is NOT a delivery service [fee].

i looked at the deserts and while they might be good, i wouldn't think they would be worth an additional cost. Could not see the cost because i did not sign up for the deserts.

they really like to block us. lol

SEA, why not? as long as it would be local.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 8:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Dipo Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 2:38 pm

LOL Rosie, have you tried chewy.com? I find there prices really reasonable, they deliver (fee is 4.95 if less than $50), and it comes really fast, in 1 or 2 days.

And yep I was just looking at my Crispy Catfish & Spicy Vegetable Curry recipe and decided I would cook it tomorrow morning for breakfast, hahahahaha.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Dipo Wednesday, June 14, 2017 - 2:43 pm

I was doing some research on dietstogo.com and got this:

WEEKLY PLAN (Edit)
Menu: Balance
5 Days per Week (10 Meals)
Lunch, Dinner + Sides
$117.59/week

1200 calories

That sure seems high.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Dipo Thursday, June 15, 2017 - 8:44 pm

So I made the vegetable curry portion of the catfish and curry meal. The veggies are good, but I am not a fan of curry apparently. Will cook the catfish in the AM.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, now it is all gathered here, LOL.

I got my second delivery today and promptly put all the meat into the freezer....I have also cancelled my service since I don't know when I will be cooking again.....hot, hot, hot, here and I don't want to heat up the kitchen. I just hope the veggies don't go bad, I know the potatoes will be fine but I have squash and other stuff.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
My first weeks menus:

Seared Steaks & Salas Verde ... excellent and easy to prepare.

Crispy Catfish & Spicy Vegetable Curry...the veggies were good, but I am not a fan of curry, so I should have just prepared them and left out the curry stuff, LOL. Catfish looks easy to prepare but the heat wave hit so it is in the freezer.

Persian-Style Chicken & Crispy Rice...haven't cooked it yet, instructions are easy and clear but rice thing looks a bit involved.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Second week menus:

Roasted Beef & Farro Salad with Sweep Peppers, Summer Squash, & Olives ... looks really easy

Crispy Chicken Tenders with Roasted Potatoes & Summer Squash ... this one looks pretty easy and even comes with a chimichurri and aioli sauce.

Smoked Trout & Asparagus Salad with Fingerling Potatoes & Garlic Croutons ... this one is probably easiest and came with a little loaf of ciabatta bread! I might even be able to make this in the heat because all I have to do is roast the potatoes and squash, and croutons. The trout is already smoked and reay to go.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 8:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
The normal cost is $59.and change; I had six meals to choose from. You have to cancel a week before the delivery but you can mark the weeks as skip a delivery and then go back if you decide you want it.

I don't really have any complaints, the food was fresh and fabulous. Prep time didn't take that long but I prefer the dishes that don't take several pans like the curry did. I want one pan cooking and most of these recipes indicate that you cook one thing, set it aside and cook the next in the same pan and then plate it all together.

Instructions are really easy to follow and the meal comes out great. I think they also have menus that can be tailored for dietary needs, I think I saw that on the site but have been looking at so many I don't remember for sure, LOL.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Waiting to hear what Rosie thinks of her Munchery.com delivery next week.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 17, 2017 - 8:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Also the article that Seamonkey posted, the author said the HelloFresh.com meals were fewer ingredients (so therefore easier to cook) than some of the other groups.

I may check them out when the weather gets cooler, for now I will probably live on sandwiches and microwave food. And that trout salad, hahahahaha.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Thanks. Dipo!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
AND FYI: LOL, I am using one of the Nordic ice packs to try and make a cool place to lay on the bed, hahahhaha.

So far, Sylvester laid on it after it almost all melted, LOL, and I laid on it while it was frozen.

I just wrapped it in a kitchen towel.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 7:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I could have used the ice packs this weekend - fell and twisted my ankle...EXERCISE IS EVIL!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, Roxip....well they are a little large for an ankle, hope you are doing better. AGREE...exercise is Evil, LOL.

Once they are almost out of cool, the kits will lay on them. I walked in last night and Nala was laying against one, LOL.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, June 19, 2017 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
LOL...my dog slept on the ice pack after I took it off my ankle...but under the covers at the same time...go figure!

Rosie

11-12-2003

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 9:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
ding ding ding

received munchery delivery this morning from a friendly male in what appeared to be a private vehicle. GSO is listed as delivery co.

it looks like it was sent from san francisco and was delivered into my hands a few minutes ago. it is marked ok to leave too.

it arrived with 2 huge frozen ice packs - one on top and one on the bottom. put them both in the freezer and will re-use them.

New York strip steak - i put in the freezer

spanish style tri-tip steak - i put in the freezer

provencal steak & pasta salad - put in fridge

salmon w/fennel & potato salad - put in fridge

something looks like a munchery apron, or perhaps a table cloth? sealed in plastic - have not opened it yet.

the big guy (charlie) was entranced with the box and watched with great interest.

it looks like plenty for 2 meals per item.

the size is about like a frozen meal from store.

what is fennel and will i like it?

had a large breakfast so probably won't taste anything until dinner.

i will let you know.

p.s. i thought i had ordered 2 salmon meals but perhaps i clicked wrong?