TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 13, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through June 13, 2017 users admin

Grooch

06-16-2006

Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 2:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
What is next door? I never heard of it before.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Nextdoor.com

They have "neighborhoods" .

Unfortunately a much larger condo complex sort of expanded its actual boundaries to include my complex and one other, and then apparently entered all the addresses. I actually got a snail mail postcard invitation with a code and decided to join based on Juju getting help before her EYE surgery..

We seem to be hooked up with neighborhoods throughout the area, so sometimes posts are super local, other times not.

I am sure you can find your area and ask to be approved.

One time I got an email asking me to vouch for someone in my complex, but didn't know them.

It does give a place to discuss local issues and people offer services, items for sale of for free, tell who is hiring, etc.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, May 21, 2017 - 8:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I was getting help before my eye surgery. I am still a she, although I would probably be able to use either bathroom on the blue, or "wet", side of Washington, even if I had had she surgery.

nextdoor.com is a neighborhood message board where people who don't know each other but live nearby can share information, sell things, trade things, recommend tradespeople, give things away, and fight about dog poop. When we were moving, I sold some furniture on NextDoor. It does require some minimal verification to join, and it seems to be less full of people preying on others than Craigslist.

Interesting little fact. We were living in San Francisco when Craigslist started, and I think it started in San Francisco. I discovered it early on and thought it was a super idea.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, May 22, 2017 - 3:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Thanks ladies. I went to check it out. I have to enter my home address and email address before I can check it out. I'm leery about doing that. I doubt there would be much where I live, anyway. But, thanks! :-)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, May 22, 2017 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey - I wonder the same thing about people who go on fan sites of shows and then bash them and talk about how much they hate them - why do they bother reading them? I don't watch any of the Housewives shows but I wouldn't go on their forum and trash them!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, May 22, 2017 - 7:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL, Juju.. blame this one tablet I use that loves to twist my words, literally.

It seems to be used here for local news, which is good..

And lost pets.. or found pets..

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, May 22, 2017 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Agreed, Sea. Same here. Lots of missing pets, and they get recovered more often than not. One was missing for three months, and somebody somehow got him home.

In our old neighborhood, since we covered quite a bit of territory on our morning walks, I always made note of the missing pets and told the owners I would look for them on our morning walks. And then I did. Never found any, though.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 7:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Heads Up Folks! I have received about 5 notices from Amazon in the last 2 days, canceling book orders that I never made. Haven't even logged into Amazon since buying graduation gifts 2 months ago.

Never even heard of these books before. Saved the emails until I asked Niece tonight.

She clicked on the last Order Number link and Kaspersky instantly flashed back "Malware" and blocked it.

Just letting folks know, in case they start receiving this stuff and don't have Kaspersky.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Sheesh.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 4:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I get emails all the time about supposed orders from various sites. Usually it you mouse over the sender address of a link it is clear it is fake..

Rosie

11-12-2003

Friday, June 02, 2017 - 7:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
not sure where to put this

do you know what MAROCAIN means?

not fair looking up the word

a 6th grader won a spelling bee and $40,000 for spelling the word.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Friday, June 02, 2017 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
shoot. i should have that posted in the "good news" thread

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, June 02, 2017 - 10:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Yes. I'm pretty sure it's a type of cloth......and I didn't look it up.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Friday, June 02, 2017 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
Mack wins. I had to look it up. lol

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, June 02, 2017 - 11:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, not a clue!

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 1:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
New Q

I'm reading the local paper and there's an article about an upcoming recruitment event for a hotel that's opening here at some point in the near future. Since a lot of the kids I know are in the 17-21 year old age range and looking for various degrees of employment and job types (everything from they're still in school and looking for part-time or just finishing school and looking for something that might turn into a more permanent full time job) I always check these out.

Anyway, it's fairly normal stuff. The date, time and location of where the event is. Dress professional. Bring copies of your resume and ID/Drivers license and social security card. Something I haven't seen before, bring proof of residence.

Is showing proof of residence for a job something new? I've never seen that outside of registering the kids for school and little league/fall ball league stuff. Seems kind of odd to me.

They also say bring your DD-214 if you have one, I can't say I've seen that either, though it doesn't surprise me the way proof of residence does. A lot of companies out here (and maybe it's cuz we are near Edwards AFB and an aerospace community?) like to hire vets so a DD-214 would be logical to bring to apply for a job.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 7:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Is proof of residence the same thing as showing you are eligible to work in this country? Why would that be a surprise? When I have applied for jobs in the last few years I have had to show my birth certificate or passport and social security card, and they take a picture of my drivers license and keep it on file.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 7:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I'm wondering if they have to hire local people in the area first because they got tax breaks to build there. It might have been one of the conditions.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Wargod, it may have to do with immigration paranoia.

But Grooch has a good point, if they got any concessions on the permit/building process they may have conditions to meet.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 12:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Proof of residence should include something like a utility bill with your name on it.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Or perhaps they don't want homeless people applying so the applicants have to show they have a home?

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 4:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Yeah, I doubt it's immigration status because that would be covered by other paperwork. Proof of residence is just, like Merry says, a utility bill. Or car registration. It's used to show the kids live in the boundaries to go to the public schools near us or join the right youth sports leagues.

Now that I' ve heard it here, I'd be willing to bet its a requirement to hire local for tax breaks. Lancaster and Palmdale have been trying to lure businesses to each city using tax breaks and other incintives for years.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
And thank you! That was driving me nuts wondering about it. I' even asked Darren who has recently taken on more duties at work, including hiring, and he had no idea. Said their main concerns for hiring were being legal to work, clean background check, vets get priority, and passing a drug test.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Anyone know what this plant is? It sprung up on the east side of my basketball court, and I can't decide if they are weeds and I should cut them down, or if they are flowers.

I would add that they are spreading rapidly, so that's why I'm suspicious.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 5:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Karuuna, if you pull a leaf off, is there a milky substance? If so, it could be milkweed.

If it is, it can be invasive, but on the positive, the monarch butterflies need it.