TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 11, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 11, 2017 users admin

Rosie

11-12-2003

Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
sorry Dipo have not tried one

i think landi had food delivered a while back? don't remember the name of co.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I think this was where I had asked if there was something I could make to repell mosquitos since I didn't have any citronella candles.

I got this article from facebook..... http://organichealthremedies.com/bug-repelling-mason-jar-mosquito-summer/

Now I am not sure it is cheaper to make these than to just purchase a couple of citronella candles but I thought it was interesting.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 7:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh and I am trying out Blue Apron, I got a 65% off email so it is only costing me $20 for the first week, after that it is $60 per week for 3 meals for 2 people.

The best thing is that I can skip weeks, which I am sure I will have to do since there will likely be more food than I really need.

I also looked into Sunbasket.com which is a local group and maybe a little more organic. It is a little more expensive at $75 per week.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 4:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So I received my Blue Apron package, and now I have two Nordic Ice Packs and I don't know what to do with them. Will they melt, are they recyclable, LOL. I have put them into the sink in case they melt.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 4:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
it looks like you could put them in the freezer and re-use them later

happy cooking

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 9:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
What Rosie said.. You can freeze them and use in a cooler later.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 10:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Yeah, they are sort of melting, no water leaking out, but what am I going to do with 6 of them per week, LOL! I never even use the ice packs that I currently have in my freezer.

Also I have this silver insulator thing that I need to figure out what to do with, I guess it just goes into the trash.

Sylvester seems to like the box everything came in.

I think I will email them and see if I can send them back along with the silver thing, I wonder if they can reuse them.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 11:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Dipo, my aunt had some shots mailed to her monthly, always came in a little styrofoam cooler with the ice packs in them so we had tons. They come in quite handy for a bunch of stuff, though maybe not for you.

Kids fall down and get owies, wrap one in a washcloth and there you go. Packing Darren's and my sister and bil's lunches for work, couple ice packs worked great to keep them cool through the day. Heck, even when my aunt got hot and we were worried about her overheating, we'd give her a couple to cool her down. And they last forever, lol, I still have a few in the freezer.

You don't have kids that are falling down or running into things, or packing lunch for work, and probably aren't worried about getting too hot in the summer, so might not have much use for them yourself. I guess if you are taking a cold dish to a potluck or maybe bringing home meat or ice cream from the store you could use for that?

Hehe, I also found plenty of uses for the little styrofoam containers as well, they work well for some crafts and Kota has used them to build cupcake stands.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 11:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I'm impatiently waiting to hear how the meal turned out and if it's worth getting it. :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 12:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahaha, Wargod you said, I don't have many uses for them so I will have to see if I have friends who can use them. Plus they are pretty big, bigger than the normal ones I have.

Grooch, I will be reporting on the results, first dish tomorrow.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 1:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Heh, Dipo, I was sitting here thinking, those ice packs are pretty useful! Then thought about what I've used them for...and yeah, they probably aren't all that useful to a lot of people, lol.

It might be worth it to keep a few in your freezer for emergencies. I certainly hope not, but you might have an "owie" that needs an ice pack or need to keep food cold. But, yeah, you probably don't need six of them every time you get a box of food.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 7:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Dipo, what about a local day care center. They always have lots of little ouchies.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 10:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I get both the Styrofoam container and ice packs regularly. Found that one of the packaging/shipping stores take both items and recycle them. This store is owned and run by a local couple, so I'm glad to help them out and they help me and the environment. Good deal both ways!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 11:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks Kitkat I will check around. Now that my brain has kicked in on the addition, I only get two ice packs a week, LOL, not six.

But still that will add up and I don't have that much storage space, or freezer space.

Jmm, these packs are 14x10 so they are huge. Not sure they would work for those ouchies!

Rosie

11-12-2003

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 11:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
you could leave out by the trash area to see if someone wants them?

Jmm

08-15-2002

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 12:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
LOL Yeah, might be a little big for little ones.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
You might also contact local nonprofits to see if they could use them.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 1:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Here's what Blue Apron says:

http://blog.blueapron.com/how-were-upcycling-our-blue-apron-boxes/

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 1:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Good idea, I wonder if the food bank could use them.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, my kitties have already been in the box! And I always reuse the little paper bags, they are great for ripening avocado.

Just have to figure out what to do silver bag thingie, I am thinking food bank might be able to reuse.

I didn't get any bottles, but I already put my first baggie into the drawer to reuse.

And the meal I cooked was excellent, plus I have a second meal leftover ! Didn't take that long. I would say probably just as long as they said, roughly 25 minutes.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 3:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Grooch...I made Seared Steaks & Salsa Verde with Fingerling Potatoes, Asparagus & Radishes.

It was fantastic, didn't take long to prep and make, probably would have gone faster if I had made it before but I followed the instructions exactly.

The only thing I couldn't seem to do was get the garlic to make a paste but it was fine in the dish as mincy as I could get it. I should have used my zester.

The meat was superior and the surprise was the cooked radishes, I would never have thought of that and they really did add to the dish.

I really enjoyed the dish for my Sunday dinner.

Rosie

11-12-2003

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rosie a private message Print Post    
do we have to address you as a chef now? glad it went so well.

if you have a clubhouse, perhaps you could put some of those packs in there.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 6:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
So glad you are our Blue Apron test person. I've been thinking of trying it, but too chicken.

I'll be interested in hearing more!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 6:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I think you have plenty of ideas, but nextdoor.com is a great place to find people who can use what to cannot..

Very interesting..

Now, if they had this service for microwave cooking, I might be tempted.

Sounds very good!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 6:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Karuna, what do you want to know?

Hahahaha, Rosie, I have always enjoyed cooking, this was fun and I have never seen such small vegetables, I have two more dinners to make. I have some tiny baby bok choy in the fridge and 2 of the dinners came with pink lemons.

The thing that is interesting is I really wanted to know about the menu but all of these services make you sign up with all details before you get to see the menus.

I had gone on their site and signed up all the way except to pay, so they started sending me emails, that is how I got a 60% off offer, I think it was. Anyway my first week was only $20 instead of $60 (for two people).

And you can mark each week "skip", the week before it ships, and pick a ship date, mine is on Saturday so between now and then I need to decide if I want the next shipment.

I am not sure I want a box every week since I know the 3 meals will make at least 6 meals for me. Don't want to waste food.

But I am excited to try the catfish dinner and the chicken dinner I have coming up.

Will report when those are done.