TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through June 02, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: Daily Poll: ARCHIVES: Archive through June 02, 2017 users admin

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - 3:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
A) Milk
B) Soda
C) water, tea

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Sunday, May 28, 2017 - 4:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
A. milk, juices, water, Kool-Aid
B. diet soda
C. water

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
A. milk, sweet tea, koolaid
B. pepsi, diet pepsi
C. diet coke, beer

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 9:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
A. milk, Kool Aid, Shasta soda, juice

B. Diet soda (and maybe some things I should not have)

C. coffee, water, wine

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 10:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Oooo got a good question, unless everyone is as boring as I am and answers "no," but:

Have you ever dressed or expressed yourself in some way as part of an identifiable group or sub-culture?

E.g. Goths, punks, hippies, etc.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 10:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
No. I never conformed and never intentionally un-conformed.

Dfennessey

07-25-2004

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 10:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dfennessey a private message Print Post    
I was born in 1962 so I guess like a hippie but that was the style so I guess yes

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 11:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Yes, kind of hippie in high school

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 11:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
If my band uniform and my karate uniform count then, yes

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 12:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
We have a uniform.. Not exactly, but in HS has to wear black or navy skirting jumper and white blouse M - Th, with a colored blouse ok on Fridays. Once a month we had "Civvie Day", but that still meant skirts.I

And skirt had to touch the floor of you got on your knees.

So not much counter culture.

Almost all girls wore JAX sweaters (or knockoffs) and carried little doctor bag purses (leather or a knockoff).

Then I went off to Berkeley, where you could wear pretty much anything, but the first year in the dorm, if you wanted to eat dinner, girls had to wear skirts!

By my last year I was married and in a sea of long hair (both genders) and big Afros I had really short hair and little dresses.. as in small size and really short.. And I learned that I honestly didn't care what others did.. Or maybe it was
bouncing off from the strict code in HS.

But basically I am boring.

Since I destroyed my ACL in the late 80s, I have been exempt from 👠 heels..

I actually love I guess a goth look, but that came along when I was wearing suits to work.. Missed the boat.

Lyn

08-06-2002

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 1:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Lyn a private message Print Post    
No, I've always dressed as me. Whatever appealed to me, whatever was comfortable.

I'm a jeans, t-shirt and runners type of gal

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 2:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Sea, was it an extra strict school, or was that normal for the time/area?

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 3:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
Maybe biker attire, leather jacket, boots, etc. I've spent decades on the back of a Harley. Went from Boston to Los Angeles & back on a Harley... an amazing trip.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 4:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
Brownies and Girl Scouts? Lol.

No, not any sub-culture attire.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 10:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I did some of the hippie look in college, but cool hippie bell bottoms that I made myself. I sometimes wore a scarf folded over and worn tied around my forehead. It was actually a very good look for me with my long hair parted down the middle. And the bell bottoms were a good counterpoint to my very long legs.

I have some leggings now, and even though I am technically too old to wear them, I sometimes wear them because I have really skinny legs, which also seems to be in, oddly enough. When I wear the leggings, I always make sure my top is at least three inches below my cooter. There is a woman among our geriatric set in South Padre Island who wears too-short tops with her leggings, and it just ain't pretty, and everybody is too delicate to tell her.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 12:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Kitt, it was interesting.. a public school in Newport Beach and this dress code was voted in by the girls years before I got there in 1961 as a sophomore.. so in the fifties.

The reasoning was that there was a really large discrepancy in income across the area then covered by that school (Newport Harbor in Newport Beach) so this was a response to that discrepancy.

(I mean we had John Wayne, Buddy Ebson, and other actors living there and they weren't the richest peple)

Now of course girls from some families would have nicer versions of clothing (and I imagine that would apply to hair cuts and many other areas) (and CARS.. some really nice cars, but most without them, like me) but still there were lots of black or navy skirts and white blouses.. It definitely was an equalizer.

My mom did opt for the better versions of the sweaters and purses and got me various colors of tennis shoes just so I'd have some color.

It certainly was simpler, but it also meant I wasn't as prepared to shop for clothing.

I went to Berkeley with my mom's idea of a college wardrobe.. LOL!! I quickly acquired rain boots, an umbrella and some tights.. and a green Berkeley book bag and a Berkeley sweat shirt. I had a casual coat that was my best friend.

After I graduated I think they loosened up the rules and I think the dress code was fairly soon gone.

==========

LOL about the Brownie and Girl Scout Uniforms.. I did have those in elementary school.

==========

Littlebreze, what a great trip!

I love knowing this about you!!

+++++++++++

Juju.. ah yes.. Bell Bottoms!!! Not quite as good a look at my height but definitely had some

Trying to picture you with long parted in the middle hair!! But that certainly WAS the look!! I think I only managed to grow out my bangs one time and hated it but had long hair, sometimes parted in the middle, though I had to give in to a cowlick that demands more of a side part.

In HS I'd sleep in ridiculous giant rollers.. of course my hair came out just as straight in the morning.

And I now love my jeans (not bell bottoms) AND leggings with long enough tops.

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 10:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
Sea, thanks, it was a great trip. To see more of the country, we went out via a more southerly route & back via a more northerly route. There's no better way to see the country than on a bike. We got first floor rooms at night with access to the outside and the bike came in the room with us. It's fully custom & worth big bucks.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I didn't live the hippie lifestyle but I dressed the part, especially in granny dresses, and bell-bottoms with my hair long and parted in the centre. I also had a pair of elephant pants but I think that pre-dates the hippies a bit.

Also consider myself a bit of a Trekkie. Been to tons of Science Fiction conventions. (And met and interviewed many of those stars.)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Mame, please tell me you had Spock ears!

LB.. That was such a wise move, to bring the bike inside.

What was your route?

I did the opposite.. (in a car).. Went from SoCal to the bay area, then east through Placerville, Tahoe, Salt Lake on the way to Iowa, across last Chicago, through Ohio, NY, VT,NH, Maine up to Brunswick, then bypassed NYC down to DC, then NC, Smokey Mtns, Tennessee, Kentucy, Ohio, Indiana, then down to New Orleans, over to Mississippi gulf coast, then back across Texas,cNM, AZ, San Diego, and home.

I had already been to 48 states and NYC, DC,

Later got to Seattle, Key West, Chicago, Nashville, etc.

But not on a bike.. What an adventure.

I wasn't camping but at least half the days I had all my food from a cooler that ran in the car and was also plugged in wherever I stayed. I did learn about regional differences in grocery stores and what was available or not.

How many people went through Birkenstock stages, or Ugg boots???

Now I wear Skechers, better for walking. For so many years I refused to wear shoes I couldn't step into. Finally a podiatrist set me straight.
Ck

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
MB, elephant pants are back!!! I just bought a pair in Vietnam, as did all the other women on the trip with us.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, June 02, 2017 - 1:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Sea no Spock ears. But a couple of nifty tee shirts.

Jooj, not surprised, everything seems to come back into fashion at some point. But good for you for scoring a pair in you travels! I forgot to mention my platform shoes which I still have.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Friday, June 02, 2017 - 1:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Can't think of a single style. I'm more into what's comfortable...jeans, tshirts, sweatshirts, tank tops, and shorts. Around home I have a few pair of sweatpants and yoga pants (and I said this the other day, lol, I actually do do yoga, but I also wear them around the house to do housework cuz they are comfy) and jammie bottoms.

Closest I may have come was wearing my jammie bottoms and a sweatshirt out in public. But...not really. When the kids were in school and I drove them, I would often leave in my jammie bottoms because I would then go home and take a shower and change. Did that until one day I got them halfway to school and realized I was on empty and was going to have to stop and get gas. In my jammie bottoms. They had Eeyore on them. I also wasn't wearing a bra, though I had on a big, baggy sweatshirt so you couldn't tell. I was rather embarrassed standing there in my Eeyore jammies and no bra pumping gas. That put an end to that, lol! From that day on, I got dressed, took the kids to school, came home and got undressed and took my shower. Er, the whole jammie thing is still a thing here, I can't get over how many people have no problem going out to shop in their jammies.

Oh, I wear Vans, does that count? Not cuz it's a thing, but because they are comfortable.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 02, 2017 - 2:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
War, I think a vast number of parents have dropped off kids while dressed in jammies...

I once arrived at work.. No, not in jammies, but fully dressed except I had really ugly slippers on.

And I was 35 miles from home.. I went home..

Trying to picture elephant pants.. I suspect I am too short to carry those off...

Last year I was with a patient at a hospital, dressed, but realized I had two different shoes on! Both Skechers, really similar, but still....

I later donated one pair to a church that had a homeless outreach. If they were that similar, I didn't need them both and hopefully a homeless woman of girl with small feet was happy.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, June 02, 2017 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It seems they have them at Amazon..

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, June 02, 2017 - 10:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yep, those are elephant pants. Mine are just gathered at the waist, not shirred and gathered. they have elastic at the ankles. Of course, my elastic stops somewhat above my ankles, while for others, the elastic is at the ankles, and then the extra fabric drops down over the feet. And I paid $3 or $4 for mine. The real bargainers got theirs for $2. LOL. And then when we came home, Bigdog unpacked a bag of mixed clothing and decided to wash and dry everything of mine he came across, including the elephant pants. Haven't tried them on to see what size they became. Seamonkey! I might be able to send them to you if they now only come to my knees! LOL.