TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 22, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 22, 2017 users admin

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
When I was in H.S. my friends mother had a machine in the family room that they called the mangler.

You fed clothes through it and I guess it came out the other side ironed. I never saw it in action, and I wanted to because I was fascinated by it. Has anyone else ever used one, or heard of it?

Kearie

07-21-2005

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kearie a private message Print Post    
Nope. If I sewed I would love to have one.

My first sewing machine was a beast. It came in a 'case', you took off the top and the bottom was built into the sewing machine. It was a dark teal color and weighed about 30 lbs. Very heavy. The best thing about it, was that it was a deluxe Singer sewing machine, it came with the new, deluxe zigzag ability.

I thought it was old, ugly and heavy. Wish I still had it. Quite the conversation piece.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Actually, we had the "mangler" in our family but it was called an Iron-rite, huge machine. My Mom spent years using it to pay off my ear & spine surgeries, bartering with the surgeons to do their wives' ironing. Mom picked up the clean laundry and then ironed sheets, docs' boxer shorts, everything with that machine! Then redelivered the ironed product.

She was a stay at home woman with 5 kids, and it was a way to pay the bills. She made years long friendships with the wives, sometimes made homemade bread for them to buy. Gotta tell ya, nobody ever made bread like my Mom! Firm solid bread, she beat the heck while kneading, that was also high demand item.

The Iron-rite was triggered to roll the hot rollers by pushing her right thigh against a levered appendage to start/stop. Wonder what ever happened to it.

I remember one wife that became a close friend... had a teenage daughter. Mom said she was happy to continue to iron the teen's stuff too, not a hardship. Wife said No, my daughter is old enough to iron her own clothes. Some day when she's married, I have no intention of subsidizing her marriage so she has to learn to do it herself now.

Hey Mom & us kids all agreed - from an early age us kids had to do our own ironing. That wise woman's thought has always stuck with me.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 9:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
We MUST have an ironing board in our house. Both Bigdog and I like to iron. Go figure, eh? When he wanted to have his OWN iron and ironing board in his cave in the big house that we sold last summer, I did not walk I RAN to get him his own iron and ironing board. When we moved, we downsized to one set of ironing board and iron, the professional Rowenta iron I bought for Bigdog. The iron is in his office, LOL.

I currently have one of those small two-sided sleeve ironing boards. It is a brand new vintage item I acquired in an estate or garage sale. I think I have used it once, which is probably one more time than the original owner. It is useful for sewing, when one needs to press open a seam on a tubular item, such as a sleeve.

Grade school friend's mother had some sort of disease that she couldn't walk around the house much. She had one of those manglers in their family room. Never saw her use it. In fact, we rarely saw the mother, and we were at this girl's house a LOT. She had like a zillion comic books, and we would go over there and read them by the hours.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 9:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I have an iron and ironing board. They're a nuisance to get out of the closet and set up. Have used them in a few years. I don't buy anything that needs ironing.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 7:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
My ironing board is set up in the spare bedroom upstairs...likelihood of it being used is relatively slim but since as a larger woman I hang dry most of my work clothes every once in a while I have something that needs to be pressed to make it presentable...50/50 whether it actually gets done or not.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 7:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Roxip, I'm very similar. I only dry things until the wrinkles fall out, then hang them while still damp so they hang out nicely.

I occasionally think 'I should iron this', and it's about equally likely that I'll choose something else to wear as I will iron. :-)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 8:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Sometimes I'll just wear it anyway and hope the wrinkles fall out, but I have a relatively new pair of slacks that just seem to wrinkle just enough to look sloppy. So frustrating!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Heh, me too. I pretend no one will notice, if they don't fall out too. :-)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I figure nobody is ever looking at me anyway.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, April 16, 2017 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I ironed this morning.

1top 1time for Easter as the bottom seams would not lay flat. It did look very nice post ironing. I think I last pressed something in 2002. To be honest, if the iron & ironing board weren't easy to use at the hotel, I would have lived with the wrinkles.

I don't like it when the seams aren't flat but I dislike ironing more.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 8:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Anybody else remember learning to iron by doing the sheets and pillowcases for your mom? And dad's handkerchiefs?

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I used to have to iron my baby brother's diapers.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
We ironed hankerchiefs, pillowcases, sheets!, Everything.. Not his suits and ties. Most of our clothing.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Oh, the suits and ties went to the dry cleaners!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 4:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
One of my sisters is working as a caretaker as she goes to nursing school. They have some elderly well to do clients who want the caretakers to iron the sheets and do several other chores that the household staffs of their younger days would do.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
It was a big to-do to set up in the ironing board in front of the tv and get out the sheets and hankies. You were "grown up" when you graduated to ironing dad's dress shirts!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 6:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes, my dad dressed very well until he retired. Nice ties, beautifully ironed white shirts, nice suits.

Then in time if he went out he'd wear a jacket, like a suit coat but not really and he started wearing string ties!

So out of character but it was fine..

I am pretty sure we ironed his boxer shorts, too!

My brother wore "wash pants" to school until finally I convinced my mom that he'd fit in better at the new school in California in jeans.. but she stubbornly refused to get him BLUE jeans.. He survived it all.

At least sheets (unfitted) are easy to iron, I guess..

Abby7

07-17-2002

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 6:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
I' don't want to post about ironing (it's to do with nuns robes).

Dh 's mom would not buy him jeans. But, he found a way to buy them (mailed to him). His father was on the city council (this is in New Zealand). He was finally able to get the board to pass this: allowing city workers to wear shorts. I always thought it a bit strange, though. They also wear socks almost up to the knees.

ETA this was "way back"...... not now.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, April 17, 2017 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Bigdog irons our dish towels. He might sometimes iron the sheets too, depending on which ones we use. Man likes to iron. What can I say? I can always get him to iron my shirts if they come out of the wash a little wonky. Oh, he also likes to do laundry. I don't mind doing laundry, but he has completely taken it over. In 1987 I had to go work a temporary assignment in Washington, D.C. for five weeks, so I taught him how to do laundry. And when I returned, he kept doing the laundry! Huh!!! Sure, I have a lot of pink underwear that started out white, but pink is a nice color. LOL.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 1:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Bigdog is a treasure!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 8:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Can I send him some things to iron?

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 6:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
I agree, he is a treasure!!! and so is his beautiful wife :-)

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 - 9:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
A single gene has been found that may be the answer to pain control. Two people with different mutations of the same gene resulting in one person who feels no pain and the other person who is always in pain.

How a Single Gene could become a Volume Knob for Pain.

https://www.wired.com/2017/04/the-cure-for-pain/