TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 11, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: TVCH OVER '60ish" Thread : Archive through April 11, 2017 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 9:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Congrats Y2Krazy!♡

As for me I hit 62 today. ;)

Jeep

10-17-2001

Friday, April 07, 2017 - 7:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jeep a private message Print Post    
Congrats Y2krazy! Happy B-Day Mame, a day late! Now you're my age! A great age to be!

Y2krazy

09-17-2002

Friday, April 07, 2017 - 9:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Y2krazy a private message Print Post    
Thanks everyone. I've been coming to this thread for ages, since I felt "60ish". But now it's official.
Happy Birthday, Mame. Hope we can get together one of these days....

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, April 07, 2017 - 9:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thx ladies! :-)

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, April 07, 2017 - 12:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I went in for a 'wellness' exam yesterday.

The PA asked me questions like "Do you get enough to eat?" "Do you have transportation?" "Do you have a place to live?" "Have you fallen in the last 3 months?"

I asked him "At what age do you start asking these questions?"

He said 65.

They also made me bring a photo id to get my examination.

The whole thing was uncomfortable.

Dogdoc, was that you're first Medicare Wellness exam? I started those at 65. Same thing pretty much every year. Kinda "how ya agin' / doin' exam". Not really for any specific health problems. I have to go for the "exam" to get orders for my mammogram and dexa scan. I like my doc so look forward to seeing him once a year (so far).

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Friday, April 07, 2017 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Color, this was my second wellness exam.

The first one was 2 years ago at the same office. I don't remember being asked those questions. I am 73.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Friday, April 07, 2017 - 8:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Starting at age 65 when I went on Medicaid, my exams changed. Like they give you three words early on in the exam and then later ask what the three words were. It helps to be expecting that one, LOL.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, April 07, 2017 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc, I'm 70. I must have started those annual exams at 66? As I said, really are to see how you're aging. To get radiology orders, I need to see my doc.

Egbok

07-13-2000

Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 12:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Juju, thanks for the heads up on the three words . . I'm going to start practicing now!

Dogdoc, I'm sorry you've had a rough ride in just having a wellness exam.

I'm over 60 but not quite 65 and during my exam, I was asked if I've signed a DNR. I also had to show my ID for the MD appointment and also when I went to the lab for my blood tests and the hospital for my MRI tests. I'm starting to fall apart health wise but that's another story.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Okay, Eggie: button pill starfish

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 7:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Does anyone know if you can have both medicare and Medicaid? My dad receives medicare but is basically broke, can't afford to buy supplemental insurance, is disabled and has dementia. I pay most of his living expenses, but i only make so much.
There are so many more services I can get for him if he has medicaid, but wondering if that will take away his medicare income.

Bluejaxrock

04-23-2004

Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 9:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Bluejaxrock a private message Print Post    
Texannie, I'm not sure if all states are the same, but somehow I qualify for both. I receive SS disability and BWC benefits and didn't apply for Medicaid. My teenaged daughter receives Medicaid, and the last time I verified income I started getting a Medicaid card. When I called to ask why, I was told that when they processed my daughter's verification, they found that my husband and I qualified, too. Really? I've not used Medicaid, but I get a monthly insurance card. Meanwhile, my 76 year-old mother is getting SS, has Stage 4 cancer, yet she doesn't qualify for Medicaid. Smdh

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 10:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
Texannie, I know that in California you can have both.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 11:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Thanks. I keep researching TX but it's confusing. I will just plan to sit on hold for a day and call in. ;)

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Don't know if this will help, but post anyways. When I went to sign up for Medicare last year it was confusing as far as the supplement plan stuff went. Not cheap $157.71/mo but with my Mom it proved vitally necessary so I wanted it. In the end, I'm paying about $100 less per month for everything than I did with my cheapest Seattle Retirees insurance, so no complaints.

Where I started was AARP.com. Didn't have to sign up for AARP, but they had links that might steer you in the right direction and answer some questions.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, April 09, 2017 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Texannie, looks like this link is relevant, but you have probably already found it.
https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/help-paying-costs/medicaid/medicaid.html

It seems you will have to inquire with the state in which your mother resides, but just a quick Google check seems to indicate yes. On the other hand, if she lives in Texas, which went SO badly wrong on social safety nets after Ann Richardson left office, your mother may have to both get a job and get drug-tested to ensure she is not screwing any Texas billionares out of a nickel for her Medicaid.

Landileigh

07-28-2002

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 12:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Landileigh a private message Print Post    
I am on SS Disability and have Medicare, Medi-Cal (Medicaid), and Kaiser-Permanente Senior Advantage Supplement plan. They each pay different parts, so that I don't have to pay that much, since I am on a fixed income from SSD. Prescriptions cost $1.20/month. Considering one of my prescriptions is almost $4k/month, I am very lucky indeed!

My lumbar spinal fusion that I Had in January - we got the final tally from KP was $348,000. I paid $0.

I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be on disability at the age of 49 (I am now 54), but am grateful for it all.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 9:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Be very happy you live in California, Landi. You would probably be dead or had multiple bankruptcies by now. God bless California. And Kaiser! Thing I miss most about moving from California in 2000 is Kaiser. My first couple years in CA I thought it was extremely weird that EVERYBODY at my work had Kaiser and loved it. But these were all very bright people, and I finally figured they must be onto something, so I joined up too. They were definitely onto something.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
HEY!!!! MODS!!! Landileigh is in the over 60-ish thread!!! Is she allowed to stretch "ish" that far? I find it extremely offensive that the kids are allowed to play in here.

<666> Don't push it, Juju.

Aaaaiiiieeeee!!!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, April 10, 2017 - 9:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
In '03 - '04 I had an on-line friend in L.A. who was diagnosed with and survived stage 3 or 4 ovarian cancer. She would talk about Kaiser-Permanente. Dina certainly survived.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 4:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Yes, my dad lives in TX. It appears if he didn't have part B or D for a certain period of time, it will cost more, but i can't seem to find out what more is. I just paid $300 for a 30 day supply of his dementia meds so i am thinking anything would be better. I need info to proceed but he is not the best historian, His wife won't answer questions, i have no power of attorney but everyone expects me to pay. It's a little frustrating.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 12:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Darn, Texannie, maybe now is the time to get a medical power of attorney so you can figure all this stuff out.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
His wife won't let that happen, sadlyl

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yes, I recall there was a fairly substantial penalty for not enrolling in Part B within a certain number of months of becoming eligible for Medicare, and it accumulates over time. Not sure about Part D, as my supplemental covers drugs.

Good luck, Texannie. ((((Hugs))))

Abby7

07-17-2002

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
We had Kaiser until feb. dh' company changed plans, so now have UHc. We paid for 2 months on our own. New company that took over reimbursed dh for insurance we had to pay (wasn't expecting that).

First doc visit with Uhc 2 weeks ago. Sent for usual blood tests (plus a rheumathoid arthritis test) Going back tomorrow for results.

Hope I get some answers.