TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 12, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 12, 2017 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 6:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Sugar I had no clue but was curious, I did a google search and found this!
I would suggest that brownies are not ideal in a mini-muffin tin. Instead, cutting them smaller would be a better solution.

If you do want to try it again, I would suggest:

1.Don't overfill the tins. You don't want the batter more than about 1/2 inch deep; you want about the same depth it would be in the pan for which they are designed.
2.Let the batter sit for about 5-10 minutes after portioning into the muffin tins. This will give some additional time for the sugars to dissolve, and the flour to hydrate since they won't have as much time in the oven. This should help texture and crust development (the shiny crackly top).
3.Reduce or eliminate the chemical leavening. I would experiment with cutting the baking powder by 50% to start.

There are ways to incorporate air into brownie batter mechanically, by (for example) beating air into the egg-butter-chocolate mixture, but the exact way to approach it would depend on your particular brownie recipe. If you go that route, you can probably completely eliminate the baking powder.
4.Reduce the oven temperature by about 25 F (maybe even 50 F in a second trial, if they still over bake and are too crusty too rapidly) or so, to allow the baking process to slow, and give more time for the mini-brownies to rise and settle.
5.Check them much sooner. Mini-brownies are going to go from not-done to overdone very, very quickly. I would start checking as early as 15 minutes, until you have an expectation. When you can smell the chocolaty aroma is a good time to start checking.
6.Bake only one mini-muffin tray at a time, so that they are even. You don't want shadow effects and changes in oven convection to throw off the baking by having more than one tray in the oven at the same time, although that is more an issue of consistency than it is of the complete character of the outcome.

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/34436/how-to-adapt-brownie-recipe-to-cook-well-in-a-mini-muffin-tin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 6:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Sounds like you may just have to experiment.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 11:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for on google. I want to use a box mix. I called the company and they said not for cupcakes.
I had a fun idea to make & decorate mini or regular sized cupcake brownies for the holidays. Just wanted something bite sized. Perhaps I will just make a pan of brownies and use a small circle cookie cutter to get the little circles I want. I toyed with using the leftover brownies and making a reindeer cake pop. I have never made or tasted a cake pop as I thought they would be too sweet but thought my idea could be quite cute.

I will be making red & green chocolate chip cookies, Butterfinger, and Heath toffee bits cookies. So that is 3 batches. I plan to make 4-6 batches of the brown sugar cookie recipe I recently tried and really liked as well. I have already chosen 18 holiday/seasonal cutters and am going to try using my 12 Days of Christmas cutters as well. That is 30 different shapes. So I guess I don't really need to make brownies. Maybe next year.

Sunday is make cookie dough
Monday is bake cookies
Tuesday is decorate cookies
Wednesday the cleaning ladies come so need to have it done. The ladies have said they like my cookies and I usually make some for them each holiday.

I must be crazy. Hope my knee holds up to all this baking.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Sugar, how did all the cookies go? I can't believe how many you were making.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 1:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q: So I made a spinach quiche, which has both feta and cheddar cheese in it, I read the comments which all said it was a bit salty so I didn't add any salt.

It is still too salty for me. I don't want to throw it away because otherwise it is really good.

Any ideas of something I could make and maybe put it with the quiche? Oh, and my quiche is crustfree.

Thanks!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Dipo, the only idea I have is to fry up some potatoes with chunks of the quiche to make a hash. The potatoes need salt, and the mix might work out well.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I was thinking of potatoes, maybe bake some sliced potatoes like a scallop only without all the scalloped stuff, LOL. Then I could serve it with a base of potatoes with the quiche on top.

Thinking that might work.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 4:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
The potatoes can't really absorb the salt if they aren't mixed with.... But maybe if you could make each bite some of each?

You'd be better off making a casserole mixing your chunked potatoes with the chopped up quiche, and maybe adding some more cheese/sauce.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Sunday, January 29, 2017 - 9:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Cheddar can be very salty. You might go for a queso fresco if you add a cheese sauce to it. Potatoes with every bite would definitely be the way to go.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 2:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
My chili is coming along very nicely! Making cornbread to go with.

I am planning to make potato skins for the weekend, is it too soon to bake to potatoes tomorrow? And then on Saturday I am making buffalo cauliflower bites.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 6:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Definitely not, Dipo. Cold baked potatoes are so much easier to work with for potato skins than hot ones!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, February 03, 2017 - 11:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So I just made some herbed goat cheese balls, they are chilling in the fridge. They will probably taste great, but I am not sure I will think they are worth the mess/effort, LOL.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 1:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
As I suspected, making them little individual balls is a PITA, would be just as tasty as a big cheese ball to use on crackers, LOL.

Don't know what the rave is all about, maybe I am as much of a cheese person, LOL.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 5:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Why are they practically giving eggs away now? I remember when they were so much higher. Bought a dozen eggs for 30 cents. And even saw cheaper ones.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Easter eggs? Lure one to the store, knowing one won't buy just eggs. Maybe all the food for Easter Sunday too.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hmm, California eggs are still the same price, would love to see some cheaper!

Abby7

07-17-2002

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Funny about the eggs. have a carton, forget when I purchased....maybe 1-2 months ago only 2 left, exp date march 25. So I do the the test, put the egg in cold water. It sunk to the bottom. Was very careful not to break the egg, however in the process spilled water all over the counter. That egg was not worth the mess!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 8:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
You have some fascinating experiences, Abby7. Ahhhh, the good old days when we had sock-cam running. Hahahaha!!

Abby7

07-17-2002

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Juju, what is sock cam. my memory is gone.....something to do with socks being left?

First time anyone has called me fascinating. Time to get out of my sweats and put on my fancy clothes.

Abby7 is now a ⭐.....? : > )

Abby7

07-17-2002

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 9:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
ETA...if my experiences are fascinating....that makes me fascinating...right. Lol

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 4:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I loved the sock adventures! LOL

Egbok

07-13-2000

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 6:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Abby7, wasn't it you who made daily post about a white sock that nobody would pick up? You included daily pictures if I recall. I remember one of the funniest posts was when the sock looked like Abraham Lincoln...??

And regarding eggs, the prices in SoCal have dropped for about the last 6 weeks. Yesterday I picked up a flat of Large Grade AA eggs for $2.39.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 6:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
It's spring! Longer days, more light make chickens start laying again.

Though, chicken farms have artifical light, so I don't know if this would apply to them.

Also, was there an avian flu last year and they had to kill their chickens? If so, maybe the chicken farms have more egg producing chickens now causing a glut. And yes, Easter! Just what Abby said.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Egbok, no not me! We need juju to answer this.....she's such a trouble maker...lol