TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through April 06, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through April 06, 2017 users admin

Wargod

07-16-2001

Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 7:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I didn't notice anything with the internet, though I wasn't on it much before about 330 and then was gone an hour or two. But, our at&t cell service was really slow this afternoon and evening (or I should say Friday afternoon/evening.) It was taking anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour to send/receive text messages for several hours.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Interesting Dipo, I have been wondering about something like this. I don't have Cable,..I just have antenna TV, and I always get channel 7 (ABC) the best. But since yesterday, Nada..It will not come in no matter where I move the antennas...I am sad cause It is kinda the only one I like..... bummer.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Saturday, February 25, 2017 - 10:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I'm always having problems getting twitter to reload for the past week. It keeps telling me that it's to busy. Lol!

Today, everything seems so slow.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 - 3:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well apparently there is something wrong with the internet today, I saw a tweet about it, something with the cloud servers on the east coast or something.

I do have some websites I can't access today, but most are fine.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
The other day I read a Face book article concerning sewing.

The article was from 1945.

It described how much fun sewing is and how you should prepare before you sew. Since you don't want to get distracted and not fully enjoy the sewing experience, you should make sure that all other chores have been done ie dishes or laundry.

Your should dress up so you feel good about yourself before you sew.

All this advice reminded me that I have put off sewing a torn pocket on my bathrobe for a year.

Off I went to my sewing box and collected a needle and some thread.

I threw caution to the wind, and did not check for dirty dishes or laundry.

I also did not apply make up or put on clean clothes.

Now, I wonder if I should not have made fun of these ladies from the past. My heart was not in it. When I was through I noticed that I had sewn the top of the pocket closed instead of the side.

A side opened pocket does not work.

Some day, when my chores are done and I am all dressed up, I will go back and fix it.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Lol, Dogdoc! If only you'd done your dishes!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Too funny!
Buy a new robe.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, you remind me that I have a sleeve I need to mend.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 12:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you Kitt and Sugar. Dipo, good luck with your sleeve.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 1:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
LOL, Dogdoc! Thanks for making me smile today!

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I am crying I am laughing so hard. You have no idea how much I needed this today, Dogdoc. THANK YOU!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 4:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
You are welcome, Teach. I am really contemplating Sugar's idea of buying a new robe.

Kearie

07-21-2005

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 7:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kearie a private message Print Post    
Very funny.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 7:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
LOL, Dogdoc, that is hysterical!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 8:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Good one, Dogdoc. I have sewed all my life - well, or since my mother taught me how to sew at 14, and I was 5'10" and 100 pounds, all legs. They didn't make clothes for girls/women in that size in those days, so all of my clothes were hand made. Then she announced I could make all of my own clothes from then on. Which I did. I sort of let the sewing lapse during my working years, and during which time young women started getting taller and taller, and I could finally buy clothes, albeit from specialty stores. I about 1987 JC Penney came out with a tall catalog which saved my life.

I still kept my sewing machine during all this time, although I have mostly only used it for repairs and alterations and simple curtains, etc. In 1995 we moved from Houston and sold my pre-WWII White sewing machine, my mother's for all of her short adult life.

In about 1996, I bought a 1960's early zig-zag machine at a mini-garage-less sale on the street in San Francisco from its original owner. I had to promise I would treat it with as much reverence as she had. It was and remains the only zig-zag machine I have ever owned. It works fine most of the time.

And now I am even older by about, ACK!!!., 21 years, and am in a new house and having to sew stuff to adapt the decor. And last summer I had the macular hole in my eye and got it repaired, and the vision is slowly coming back, but I still have a lot of distortion in the center vision of my left eye, which throws off my depth perception. And I am having a HELL of a time threading getting that needle threaded these days. Sigh ...

New robe could be just the ticket, Dogdoc!

Abby7

07-17-2002

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 9:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
This topic brings back scary moments for me. Thanks lol.. so I'm may have been 13...in school. There was this stupid class I had to take. One part was sewing (also, "cooking" when i got in trouble for dropping the Very hot pan of pigs in a blanket...they rolled on the floor to make it worse)

So assignment was to make a robe. Mom took me to store, got material, etc. I noticed the tack like buttons that you hammer on. So I got those. Go to school. When my robe was almost done, I bring out my "buttons". I start hammering away. Got in trouble...sent to the hallway to continue with my hammering. The robe ended up cute..even with the misaligned "buttons".

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I remember going through all the various steps to make cream puffs.. the pastry, the filling, chocolate topping and then we didn't have enough for everyone.. lacking one.. then one dropped in the dishwater.. so my friend and I decided we'd make them at her house.

We did fine except the chocolate icing stuff got hard and we didn't know that it only got harder if you cooked it more.. so lots of laughs and I took half home and my parents ate theirs, chocolate and all, because they knew we'd gone through it trying..

We started cooking and sewing in 4th grade.. not that we did all that much in 4th.. simple stuff in cooking like pineapple and cottage cheese "salad" on a lettuce leaf. In sewing I think we did Swedish weaving on a huck towel and hemmed it.

Then we got to do more the next year.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 5:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Juju, you can buy a needle threader at the fabric store. They are a great help.

Jeep

10-17-2001

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 6:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jeep a private message Print Post    
I learned to sew from my mom and a 4-H leader. Remember that organization? In my teens, I made everything from bathing suits to prom gowns.

Now, in my old age, I don't do as much sewing of complete outfits. I have my grandmother's Singer treadle sewing machine, my mother's electric Singer sewing machine, my great aunt's electric Singer sewing machine and one Singer electric machine that I bought at auction. They are all old, but work fine and I should have spare parts for my lifetime! LOL. The light bulb went out of one this past week, so I'll have to either use a different machine or cannibalize one from the others.

I use one of those needle threaders on occasions. The fine needles have such a small eye.

LOL Dogdoc! I don't ever remember dressing up to sew.

Kearie

07-21-2005

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 5:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kearie a private message Print Post    
I grew up in 4-H also. I started at 8. I still have the first thing I ever sewed, a dust cloth with a mitten sewn on it for your hand.

When I was 9, a perfectionist started to teach sewing. Ugh!!!! Sewing and cooking became my life, not by choice. Way too many times I heard, 'rip it out and start over.' I couldn't get away from it. The perfectionist leader was my mom.

I've probably sewn over 100 clothing items.
I was put in contests for "Make it Yourself With Wool." Each time I entered I made it to State.

Did I mention I was very allergic to wool, so I had to wear a facemask to work on it. Those masks get very hot and humid. (Wonder if I could skip the lipstick since the mask would cover my lips>)

I would guess I could sew just about anything, with instructions, alterations included.

I was in 4-H until I was 16.

If a button falls off my shirt or something, you won't catch me sewing a button on it. I'd just hang it in the closet until it was time to give to goodwill.

I'm the same way when it comes to cooking. Mom's best friend, Mary, was the cooking leader. Things I made would be acceptable by Mary, but it also had to pass the MOM test. I don't cook much any more. I've made way too many crepes in my life, just thinking about making them gives me a headache. I love crepes.

My sewing machine was with me until last year. LOL Now I have a little Dollar Store sewing kit.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 6:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
There is a lot to be said for little sewing kits. They can go anywhere.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

I use one of those needle threaders on occasions. The fine needles have such a small eye.

Yeah, I probably need to just break down and put a bigger needle in. Last one I was using had a hole so small the needle threader wouldn't even begin to go through the hole. And then I have another very cool little one with a spring thingie that when you push it in, it is supposed to push the thread through the needle. That one wasn't finding the hole either. I betcha I just have a really fine needle in there right now and forgot it was a small one. Thanks, Jeep.

I wouldn't dream of going on a trip without at least one tiny sewing kit. What if a seam came undone, or a button came off?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 10:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Oh yeah, my mom taught me to sew for sure..

By the time I hit California I had 4 years at school, plus home (no 4H in Detroit.. not that part of Michigan!).

In California I joined sewing and they had just finished making an apron! I had just finished, in Detroit, a jumper with facings, zipper, etc.

So in CA they got to do an extra credit and since I had just gotten there I was spared the apron and just had the extra credit

I made a shirtwaist dress with flat feld seams, buttons, top stitching and other bells and whistles.

Not that it was a pretty thing.. on me or anyone, but it got me an A.

And I don't remember what I made for 9th grade but after that, no sewing.

I did get the sewing badge for Girl Scouts back in Detroit but I don't remember that being anything major. LOL... so long ago.

I just remember those cream puffs and my parents choking them down and saying they were good! Sweet.

And indeed a little sewing kit can be a saver on a trip. I've saved myself and saved others. Dental floss can be quite useful too and strong.

Juju, those little kits often include a needle threader.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 7:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Years ago while I was a Secretary (b4 the job title was changed to Administrative Asst to show more respect) I always kept in my desk one of those little sewing kits with TINY bobbins of different colored thread, even bought a spool of white & black.

One of the guys in my office actually was my Mentor that showed me so many computer skills working with him to convert word processing data into computer files & later was instrumental in getting me the Data Asst job outside of secretarial work. At that time there was plenty of discrimination - once a woman and a secretary, ALWAYS a secretary - no matter how many classes I took. He even advised on which classes to take.

Anyways, frequently he would show up at my desk and ask me to sew a button back on his shirt sleeve cuff, even hand me the button and stand there hand down while while I sewed it back.

Finally I asked him why he was popping buttons, what activity was he doing to pop buttons? He was frank. His wife (a lawyer) didn't sew, so he deliberately saved his button-less shirts for when he knew I was working because he knew I would take care of it. I laughed so hard. (Hey, the Pay's the Same for Government Work!) I loved working with that man and he got me out of being a Secretary!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Very cute story, Bisc. Bless that man, although he should have told you sooner, and you could have taught him how to sew on a button. I mean REALLY (him, not you; it ain't rocket science),

At some point, maybe early '80's, I taught Bigdog how to sew, and he sewed himself a Hawaiian shirt. (He is a carpenter by trade, and sewing is just like many rules of carpentry.) He surprised me many years later when he went in and sewed something for himself on a totally different machine.

I am fine with threading hand sewing needles without aids, but I think Jeep nailed it with the too small sewing needle currently installed on the sewing machine. I am just used to being able to do everything perfectly first time. This old age thing really sucks. But at least I have all of the figments of my imagination going through it with me, LOL. We have a decidedly odd community here.