TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 24, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Buyers Banter: Mattresses: Archive through March 24, 2017 users admin

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, January 19, 2015 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
In April of '08 I got a Sealy Posturepedic memory foam mattress. Prior to that I'd been sleeping on an old innerspring mattress. I was stiff and sore in the lower back and hips in the morning. Got that new mattress and almost immediately I could "pop" out of bed in the morning and move. Good! Then early last year I realized I was stiff and sore again in the morning. Mattress? Ten year guarantee on it. Store I bought it from came and took pictures and "measured" it with some gadget. Yes, it had failed. Back to the store. After talking with a good salesperson and trying mattresses, decided on a hybrid -- top 1/3 is foam, bottom 2/3 is special kind of innerspring. That didn't do much for the back, etc. Now I've been through a couple more mattresses. (Don't ask $$ amount.) I'm thinking -- am I stupid? Tomorrow a Serta iComfort (100%) memory foam mattress is being delivered. I'm expecting (hoping) it will eliminate back and hip aches and stiffness as the foam mattress did almost 9 years ago.

Do you have a mattress you really like? Foam or innerspring? What's your experience? Serta has 25 year guarantee.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Monday, January 19, 2015 - 2:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
It's interesting that you started this thread because just a couple weeks ago I wanted to start one, mostly because of my new mattress.

I recently moved and, in the move, decided to get a foam mattress, which of course required hours of research online. My last mattress was a Tempurpedic; tge one before that a very firm inner spring mattress that I also liked quite a bit. The tempurpedic wasn't done," I'd say, but I'd had it for about 10 years and I felt like I wanted new bed karma. But I also didn't want to spend the fortune a new Tempurpedic costs, either.

So I found a site called mattressunderground.com....they have tons of info about mattresses and are really devoted to the topic. I decided to go with a mattress from Tuft and Needle, which is a recent startup from former Silicone Valley folks who wanted to find another product to work on that would be able to deliver high quality good at a lower cost than the current market; they do this, in part, by having only an online presence--no stores carry it just their site and, I think, amazon. Best of all, they wanted to manufacture the mattresses in the US.

So I bought a queen Tuft and Needle 10" mattress for 600. I think it's a totally reasonable price for a very high quality product. I love it. It's firm but not too firm--if you really love very firm mattresses, you won't love it--and has given me amazing sleep so far. It has a 10 year warranty and a 30 day free return policy, but you probably wouldn't need to use them. As their website says, they are the highest rated piece of furniture and the highest rated mattress on Amazon.

I can't recommend them highly enough. Tuft and Needle

Pamy

01-01-2002

Monday, January 19, 2015 - 3:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
good info! We are hoping to get a new one this year.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Monday, January 19, 2015 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
I think we never realize when a mattress actually goes 'bad'. The first mattress I bought I kept for about 20 years. I thought I loved that mattress and really hesitated to get a new one. When I finally got the new one, it was an epiphany because I never realized that the old mattress caused so many issues. Fast forward 10 years.... the new mattress is now old. I got a larger bed and needed a new mattress which was delivered last Saturday. The old mattress, which I thought was still good, really was not. I slept like a baby on Saturday night and last night. I ended up with a Simmons Beautyrest Plush and I love it.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, January 19, 2015 - 10:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Ridiculous the mattresses I've gone through / tried in the past few months. It has cost me some $. At one point I thought I wanted a really firm mattress. Not hard like the floor, but FIRM. No, it was too firm. That was a foam / innerspring combo. Then got combo again, but with some softness. Better, but still stiff and sore some when I get up. So Serta total foam mattress being delivered tomorrow -- 11:15 - 1:15 delivery window. I hope it will be like the mattress 7 years ago.

Will check out those two sites, Tishala, THEmattressunderground in particular. I had been looking at a site a week or two ago (didn't make note of the name) that said total foam mattress best for back and hips if you're a side sleeper. I am.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 2:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
New mattress was delivered. Bed is made ready for tonight. Good chance it will be early to bed tonight.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 2:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Good luck with this one, Color. A good night's sleep is so important.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 6:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I hope cuz this one has got to be it.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 11:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I think good. This mattress is on the firm side, but not too. (Too soft is NOT good.) Slept well. When I woke up, but before I got up, still aching in lower back and hips. Quick trip to WC and back to bed. I was stiff. Just laid in bed for a while. Felt OK when I stretched out. When I did get up, was sore and stiff. But in less time than usual, was able to move comfortably without pain. Hmmmm. I do think it's going to get better over the next few nights / week or two. I'm certain 100% memory foam mattress is for me.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Sometimes your body just has to get used to the different mattress.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 7:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Also, realize you are older than when you got your last mattress, and (I think you are about same age as me) you just start getting those weird aches and pains you have never had before.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 8:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So true, Juju!

My mattress is a good one I bought when I moved here.. eeek.. quite some time ago.. it is firm with a pillowtop.. (and also had that 30 day return policy) then a few years ago I bought a 4" memory foam topper, again, a good one.. and that has been amazing..

I can see at least a new topper in my future and I certainly like it.

Another combination I had years ago that was nice was a waterbed, but with a featherbed on top of that. But I gave that up after going through two water mattresses.. gave the frame to a neighbor when I moved over here. His brother was stoked to get the waterbed frame.

Tisha, I agree that sounds like a very reasonable price. I wanted a Queen, but the box spring wouldn't fit going up my stairs with four turns.. so I had to get a king, with the two box springs.. over kill to be sure.

I love what you said about new bed karma.. I definitely wanted that when I moved here!

Scooterrific

07-08-2005

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 8:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
We just bought a new one when we moved. ..we sleep so good now. .it's really firm..for Scott. .but it's turning out okay for me too..even though I bounce when he moves

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 9:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
That could be a good thing..

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 9:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Also, realize you are older than when you got your last mattress, and (I think you are about same age as me) you just start getting those weird aches and pains you have never had before.

ABC's Dr. Richard Besser was on a daytime program today talking about back aches. Said almost unavoidable to some degree as you age. (Two more years and it's a big one. I wish it was 60. How did I get here?) He also said being tall makes you more prone to back ache. I WAS 6'. I've shrunk an inch. When your back aches, best to keep moving -- not lie down. Didn't talk about mattresses.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 10:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
But we are told that sleep is really important at "our age".. and unless we hang like bats (or Mork), which might stretch out the back, we have to lie down to sleep and a good bed is.. verrry good.

I lost TWO inches that I didn't have to lose but am happy to say that when measured 5 years later at the same place, I hd lost no more.. I keep moving .. almost hyper when I'm out and about, but still probably sit too much at home.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 8:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
<confirms that Seamonkey can be a tad hyper>

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, January 22, 2015 - 8:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
LOL, true that.. but it is more physical, now.. my patients say I have lots of energy.. but I figure that is better than sitting around.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 4:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I'm back here a year plus later.

Oh my achin' back, etc., etc. I can't keep getting new mattresses. A friend recommended a foam mattress topper. Somebody here have one? I buy a lot from Lands' End. Good reviews there. LINK

Mack

07-22-2002

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 6:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
We put one on what is now our guest room bed. Initially the mattress was in our master bedroom but it was just too firm and we tried the topper. It worked pretty well but we happened to go into our mattress store and try out a less firm....actually a lot less firm.....mattress and bought it. Spent too much money on the too firm mattress so off to the guest room. We don't have a lot of visitors and ey usually only stay for a few days so we don't get a lot of feedback.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 6:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
How about, for now, getting an egg crate? They sell them at places like Walmart or kmart and only cost about $10. It could be a temporary solution until you decide what to do.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 7:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I am pretty sure I want a foam topper. Very good reviews on Lands' End. Don't want to spend on another new mattress already. Feel so old when I get up in the morning. Bad sleep. Not much energy the next day. Etc., etc., etc.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Color - what kind of mattress did you get that is not working? We're looking into sleep numbers because the foam topper we have only made it about 7 years. We were waterbed sleepers for decades, so we need softer mattresses that still offer support.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
The last mattress I got app. 1.5 years ago was a Beautyrest Platinum. Good mattress? Seemed comfortable at first. Lately not so much. I ordered the topper from Lands' End today.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 24, 2017 - 3:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I have a good and comfortable mattress, but I added a memory foam topper from Kohl's.. They go on sale every year.. And it continues to be one of the best things I ever bought.