TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 10, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through March 10, 2017 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 03, 2017 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I've been using Microsoft Edge Browser for awhile. When I search using Edge, it uses Bing for the search as a default.

I don't know if that is a given default or if it took that from my former IE setup.

I've never asked for Bing to be a default, it just took over a few years ago.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Question

I am looking for a simple OFFLINE program that can be used to look at photos and will easily allow them to be emailed in a smaller version.

To explain more, my dad used to use Picasso, which is unfortunately no longer working, at least in its original form. He could download the new photos from his camera into it, it would put them in a folder, and he'd worked out how to see past and new photos. Groovy. And when he had a nice one he wanted to email to me, he could send it via email from within the software, he would just click send on the enormous original photo, and it would send a more reasonable 400kB version to me.

This was ideal, because my parents live in the middle of nowhere, and have to pay for all data, so sending the enormous 2GB originals was just too expensive (and slow, his bandwidth isn't good either).

Anyway, now Picasso is no more, does anyone know an alternative? The important thing is it must be able to be used offline, he can't have to upload his original photos off the camera to the internet, and it must be able to email smaller versions without him having to follow some complicated process. It doesn't have to do any fancy photo filtering or editing.

Any ideas?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, March 05, 2017 - 11:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Is that Picasa, Kitt?

I guess there is Picasso and Picasa.. which google says they have retired.

https://picasa.google.com

But I'm guessing it is online, as google seems to want us all to be online for everything.

Google photos.

Picasso still seems to be available.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, March 06, 2017 - 12:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Ah yes I think it was Picasa not Picasso. It started out being offline, then the new versions were online but the original offline version still worked for a while, now everything is retired.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, March 06, 2017 - 12:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
There is something called Picasso.. but I don't know if it would be helpful or not.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, March 06, 2017 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I can't find any reliable links for it, so I wonder if it's a dodgy program capitalising on Picasa and people like me getting the name wrong.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, March 06, 2017 - 12:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Kitt, I don't know anything about photos and the computer. I still do it the old fashion way and just print them out. But I Googled "picasa alternatives" and found this article. Maybe one of these programs can help you.

link

OR this one: link2

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, March 06, 2017 - 1:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Thank you Grooch! There are some offline options there I will research.

My poor old dad. His laptop is very old and playing up, so we're going to have to transfer him to Windows 10 too, he's going to have to do a lot of learning!

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, March 06, 2017 - 2:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Ugh! I hate windows 10. Lol! And your welcome. :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, March 06, 2017 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Kitt if you have a good computer person, they can hlep you to set up a newer computer with a windows program that is not 10.

When I got my computer, it is 8.1, and it was missing a bunch of stuff, like the start menu, non online games etc. they were able to hook me up and add that stuff to my system, so I don't have to do all that touch screen crap.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, March 06, 2017 - 6:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Well hubby is going to strip it down as much as possible so that it mostly looks like the old style windows. It seems like Windows 10 tries to invade your system and download itself if you start with any other system, so we thought it best to start him off with a clean copy.

Biscottiii

05-29-2004

Monday, March 06, 2017 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Biscottiii a private message Print Post    
Yeah! Be careful, Niece picked me up a new $400 'stand alone' computer. Worked for a couple of months, then Windows10 kept slamming and unable to update. Not enough memory every time.

Took it to our computer guy and he said the computer was doing what it was intended, not enough ?memory? to handle Windows10. Had him build me a tower and new computer, that crap $400 stand alone is a piece of junk now sitting in the closet.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 6:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
New question related to an old topic: Cursive.

My niece is taking the SATS tomorrow and I am trying to find out what time they are and how long and where. (Typical teenager. She has no clue and I am driving her.)

Anyway, while googling, I saw there is an essay part. Do the kids write the essay in print? Or do they type it out on a keyboard? If it's on a keyboard, do their typing mistakes for grammar, etc count against them? Do they have stupid autocorrect? I don't know if autocorrect is a help or a hindrance on a test. And if they do have autocorrect, doesn't it defeat the purpose of testing on their English skills?

TIA.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
When my daughter took the SAT she had to write out the essay part in cursive (or I guess she could have printed). No computers or electronic devices allowed (the rare time she left her phone in the car...usually it is attached to her like glue) (and she has a learning disability where she usually is allowed some accommodations but not on the SAT test). I think she had to be there at 8 and I picked her up shortly after 12 (I could be wrong about the starting time but I clearly remember the finish time...LOL!).

Grooch

06-16-2006

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 8:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Roxip. Right now it's snowing like heck. I'm not worried about the snow tomorrow. It's the ice I'm worried about. The weathermen are whipping up hysteria about the sheets of ice tomorrow morning and I have a driving in snow and ice phobia! And to top it off, the test isn't at her high school, it's at one 20 miles away. And to add to that, none of the stores open til 10 am, so I can't even go shopping while waiting. Lol!

Sorry about the vent, but I needed to get get it off my chest. :-)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 8:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I'm in Texas. I understand that fear of ice because we rarely have snow but when we have cold weather the ice can be deadly!

Darned shame about that shopping thing though - perhaps a nice breakfast restaurant and a good book?

Longbeachbbfan

08-17-2005

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 9:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Longbeachbbfan a private message Print Post    
My sister's computer locked up with a tech support prompt from Microsoft to call a number to unlock/fix her computer. She called the number and, after paying $200, they fixed her computer and gave her a 2 year protection program so she cannot be hacked again. This has to be a hoax, correct?

I think she should call her CC company and stop payment on it.

What say you?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 9:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
There is definitely a hoax that looks like this...

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 9:47 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/microsoft.asp

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
http://wtop.com/tech/2017/01/data-doctors-new-microsoft-scam-fooling-many-users/

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Stop payment...

Longbeachbbfan

08-17-2005

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Longbeachbbfan a private message Print Post    
Seamonkey, thank you so much. XOXO

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 2:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
YES YES YES. Dispute the charge on the credit card.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
She also needs to be sure her computer is fixed so she avoids this problem in the future.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 6:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
For sure.. the older scam was a phone call.. but of course if you let them "fix" it, they undoubtedly have infected the computer. Hers seems to have already been infected and thus it told her to call.

Too bad people who perpetrate crap like this don't spend their time in legit ways and ways that help people.