TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through March 16, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: Cakes, confections, cookies, etc.: Archive through March 16, 2017 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, December 17, 2015 - 10:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
There is a recipe going round the interwebs about a Bailey's cheesecake. It looks good and I think I want to make it as our big "thing" (we don't really do desserts) for Christmas.

Here's the recipe:

Bailey's Cheesecake

Base
200g gingersnap biscuits
100g butter

Filling
800g cream cheese, room temp (=28oz)
300g caster sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
4 eggs
190ml Baileys
2 tsp vanilla extract

Ganache
175g dark chocolate
120ml double cream
50g butter

It's meant to be cooked at 270F for 70 minutes in a water bath.

But help! They don't give a size for the tin! Can anyone guess from the recipe how big the tin should be? And also, do things like this scale down well? If I could find a 4 inch tin maybe (do they even do deep tins that small?) could I use half the recipe? How much less time would it need to cook?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, December 18, 2015 - 2:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well the first thing I thought of is a normal 9" pie plate, a round one like you use for apple pies.

When I half recipes I usually take the time down less than half and then watch it closely. So I would probably do about 25 minutes, then start checking it every 5 minutes.

But that is not scientific, LOL, so maybe someone will come along and have better advice.

Also, did you try going to the Bailey's website, they may have the recipe there and you could ask online. Sometimes when I find a recipe the comments have more information for changes.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, December 18, 2015 - 3:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I asked in the comments at the site for the pan size and today got an answer of 9 inches! So now I know that. Half the recipe should give about a 6 inch circle with the same depth, so that's what I will try.

It's the checking it that I'm not sure about... as it's cheesecake if I stick a knife in it it will always come out sticky, so I don't know how to test it. Do you think it will be obvious from how it looks? I've eaten baked cheesecake but never cooked one before.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, December 18, 2015 - 4:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Good question, I don't know how you check cheesecake for doneness, LOL. Let me see what google says.

LOL I found this you-tube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7yzGl7JpRs , it is not what I expected.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, December 18, 2015 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Excellent, thank you so much! I wouldn't have thought on looking on youtube! I will watch for the jiggle...

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, December 18, 2015 - 5:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
hahaha.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 2:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I'd probably use a springform pan since it's a cheesecake.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 2:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It is in the oven now! Taking a long while to cook, not sure it will be ready at 70mins, 130C is only 270F.

I had to make the 9in one in the end, looked at smaller pans and they were just silly small. And yes, I have a springform one so that will make it easier to get it out of the pan.

12 slices at what works out as 622 cals each ... between the two of us!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, December 19, 2015 - 3:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Kitt do you go to an office? When I was working I always took my leftovers into the break room, they were gone in 5 seconds flat. Didn't even have to advertise it.

So when I had more than I could manage in a couple of days I had a built in eaters. Since I retired I think more about what I am making since I don't want to many leftovers....unless my sister is coming over and then I send them off with her.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, November 21, 2016 - 7:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Tried out a new recipe this weekend...it was tasty and made my house smell divine..

Snickerdoodle Blondies

Preheat oven to 350.

1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
Cinnamon-sugar mixture

Cream butter and sugars together. Add in eggs and vanilla, mix until fluffy. In a separate bowl mix together flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon, gradually add to sugar mixture, mix until just blended.

Pour into greased pan (I used a 9x13 - it called for a 8x13 pan which I have never seen - you kind of have to spread it out because dough is thick) and then sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes.

Cinnamon-Sugar mixture - 1/4 c sugar and 1 T. cinnamon

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 6:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I made 400 cookies!Sugar cookies

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 6:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
MoreSugar cookies

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 6:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Sugar cookies

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 7:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
It took days and hours to do. Also made holiday chip cookies, Butterfinger cookies and caramel cookies. My sister and her 2 young kids came over and helped decorate sugar cookies. The decorating got a bit sloppy after a bit (too many cookies perhaps?) so didn't post any of those.
My PT, the various contractors working on our new master bath, which is gorgeous by the way, and the cleaning ladies were happy to get cookies. In fact one of the cleaning ladies was excited, she said the others told her I usually gave them cookies but she had never been here on cookie day. I thought that was sweet. My sister took some of course and I plan to send some with her to other family members when she goes out of town this weekend as we are staying home this holiday. We have eaten far too many cookies.
I tried new recipes this year, a brown sugar sugar cookie, tasty, and a cholate sugar cookie. The chocolate was ok, just not my fav but they made nice reindeers.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I was just going to say, OMG, how long did that take. They look beautiful. You have lucky family and friends.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 9:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thanks Dipo. Typically I would take cookies to work to share but with all my various health issues, I haven't worked for about 18 months. Will need to start job hunting soon.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Friday, December 23, 2016 - 12:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Those are awesome, Sugar! Is that the most awesome, fragile leg lamp up there?

We're doing some tomorrow for a few people, but probably won't be anything too elaborate, just sugar cookies and chocolate chips.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, December 23, 2016 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Yes it is Wargod. I was pleased it turned out so well.

Next year I won't make as many batches of dough. Wasn't sure how many cookies I would get with new recipes. They will all be eaten so no waste.

Hubby wants me to make some of the leg lamp cookies for when his family comes in January.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Friday, December 23, 2016 - 11:27 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
WOW! Those are gorgeous, Sugar!

My "baking" so far has consisted of making gingerbread-spiced granola and a batch of Chex mix! LOL Today I'll make my grandma's soft sugar cookies (special ingredient of nutmeg), and tomorrow I'll finish with my dad's favorite: spicy molasses cookies. That will be it - 8 dozen total. It's just my DH and I, and I missed the final week of school due to an emergency eye procedure so no extra cooking. I had planned to make a spiced nut mixture for our office staff for Christmas, but that has been postponed for a Spring Break treat. :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, December 23, 2016 - 12:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So funny, my only baking was to make a chocolate box cake to see how my convection oven worked, LOL.

I rarely bake cookies and then they are chocolate chip. I still have girl scout cookies from years ago, Are they still good? I must google to see their lifespan. I just noticed a couple of other boxes yesterday.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, December 23, 2016 - 4:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thank you.

I was rather proud of many of them as they were quite pretty. Some were nice and some were, how many *@&$#^#$ cookies are left to decorate?!?!?

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, December 23, 2016 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Very nice, Sugar! I made 4 dozen chocolate chip cookies. My SIL begs me to make them every year at Christmas. I will take them with me to my sister's for the big day.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, December 23, 2016 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I do enjoy baking. I make some fancy cakes from time to time. One of my favorite cake memories is when my youngest niece turned 4, I made her a princess unicorn cake. She squealed with delight jumping up and down when she saw it. I've made most of the birthday cakes for my youngest nephew and niece. The Minecraft cake from a couple years ago was quite the project, especially as I was also making an Elsa cake at the same time. They are a little over a year apart so often have parties at the same time each inviting a few friends and separate cakes of course. I'll have to look for some of those pictures. Definitely home made not bakery professional but baked and decorated with unending love.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 - 9:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
If only my talent/skill would match my ideas. I wanted to make RKT leprechaun pots of gold for St Patrick's Day. The gold coins and mini shamrocks turned out fine but my chocolate pots looked like bad birds nests. Glad I only made 4 of them. The cleaning ladies like (at least I think they do) the various treats I make and I told them they would have to use their imaginations to see it as a pot of gold. It was the chocolate pot/nest with 4 gold coins and a small shamrock. It was funny to hear one of them translate what I tried to do as they don't all speak
English. At least I didn't hear them laughing at me.
I decided to just put 3 gold found and 1 shamrock in a little treat bag that is ironically shaped a bit like a leprechauns pot. They look much nicer.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, March 16, 2017 - 1:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, at least you tried. Sounds like all in all everything turned out well.