TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 30, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Computer Problems? Ask Here: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 30, 2016 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 6:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
OMG, somehow I have turned my background solid black, the windows have blue borders with white outlines, it is awful.

I was having trouble getting signed on because a couple of keys stopped responding and I was hitting keys all over the keyboard, finally got signed in.

Oddly enough I accidentally found a keyboard for the screen and those same keys wouldn't work. I finally kept hitting the window key and the keyboard keys to get all the keys on the keyboard to work.

Anyone know how to get back to my old stuff. I think I will try a reboot now, hope I can sign on afterward.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 6:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Honestly, all it sounds like is that you accidentally managed to start up in safe mode. Just restarting should fix it if that's the case.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 6:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well, thank goodness I remembered right click on the screen, got back my normal background and I can see everything again.

How weird though, this whole thing happened because I closed the screen down partway to put a twisty tie back on the excess cord for the mouse.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 6:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
The reboot didn't change a thing, LOL. But I did manage to get everything back to normal.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, June 09, 2016 - 10:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Yay, Dipo, brave warrior!!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 01, 2016 - 5:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So here is the weird thing that happens to my laptop, HP Pavillion, I think windows 8.1 (can't remember where to look that up), anyway I will be tooling along with several open window and all of a sudden loose interenet connection.

When I check my Comcast box and wifi routers are working just fine, but when I go to check my network connections it says that wifi is disabled.

Now I didn't disable it, so how does that happen?

It usually takes me a few minutes to figure out that the Wi-Fi is disabled and to enable it.

So, is there some button that I am hitting to disable it or is my computer just nuts.

If anyone has a clue or thought about this, thanks.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 7:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Some devices just drop wifi. I know that's not much help. How often does it happen?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 12:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Jimmer, nope it doesn't happen often, the first time it happened it scared the crap out of me and I only accidentally found the problem and fixed it...took me about an hour.

Now when it happens I check that first, once of course, I have confirmed that my signal is still working.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Dipo, yes, many laptops do have an external wifi button. Maybe if you carry your laptop around, or otherwise handle it, you are inadvertently hitting it. Check all around the side of your laptop and see if there are any wifi switches.

Then you could try Googling HP Pavilion Windows 8.1 wifi disabled. Or terms like that, and see if anybody else has had same problem.

Sadiesmom

03-13-2002

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 3:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sadiesmom a private message Print Post    
is it just me or are there more viruses today? I had to spend most of yesterday I spent most of the day getting rid of what ever that takes control and claims it is a microsoft error please call a number...... or one where a page will suddenly be replaced by a full page ad and if you go back one screen it is like you were never on that page you were reading.
it is getting frustrating and taking way too long to fix things.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 - 9:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
My computer is all of a sudden warning that I need to replace the battery. How soon should I worry about doing this? Nothing is open tomorrow.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 6:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I don't think there is any rush as long as you can plug it in.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, November 25, 2016 - 7:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Just to share my experience, so someone can possibly benefit from it, I went to a battery plus place today. They didn't have the battery, but said they could order it for me. $125. The computer only cost $200 new. I thought, if they can order it for me, I can order it myself. So that's what I did. $30, includes shipping. Ordered from newegg.com, but there were lots of options.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, November 25, 2016 - 7:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
They're usually pretty easy to replace as well so that's a good deal!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 7:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
I have always bought computer batteries on eBay. It just takes my breath away to find out what price the original computer manufacturer wants for a replacement. Good work, Heckagirl.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, November 28, 2016 - 2:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q: The weirdest thing is happening, our management company can send me email, but when I reply it comes back as undeliverable. Any thoughts?????

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, November 28, 2016 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
So I guess you're just hitting reply. Perhaps there is something wrong with the address you have for them in your address book and it is reading that one instead. Take a close look at the address and make sure it is correct.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, November 28, 2016 - 8:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I thought I checked it well, but I will do that again, instead of just using the reply button. It is so weird because I have been using the same address for years, LOL.

I am also going to reboot my computer, sometimes wacky things get in there and need a punch out.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 7:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Let us know when you figure it out.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Nothing has worked and it is only this one person. I keep getting a response from a group called BetterBounces.net that says the domain isn't valid.

Is this a virus for me, or a virus for them?

There are all kinds of things I could click on for "more help", but I am afraid to do that.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 3:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
So you've tried physically typing the address into the send field?

Have you tried sending to her from another email address (like maybe a google email address) and seeing if that works. Do you know if she is receiving email from other people?

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 3:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
Maybe they are using an email address that does not allow the user to 'reply' to it. I see that all the time in emails. You receive an email, but cannot reply to the sender email address. It is blocked from receiving emails.

Did you call the sender and ask them?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 7:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Yep, I have called and asked if they are having email issues. That has occurred before but she said they aren't.

I have typed it myself, and it is our management company so it makes absolutely no sense. WE have a meeting tomorrow night so I will ask if anyone else is having trouble.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Dipo, if you have another email address you can log in from online like yahoo or gmail, email them from there for a test. If it also comes back there, then it's their problem.

My guess is that it is their problem but they just haven't widely noticed it yet.

eta: I remember last year petco had a problem contacting me. Everything they sent me was returned. It ended Comcast had accidentally added them to the overall block list. It got fixed after enough people brought it to their attention. Seems like you could also be on the other end of something like this.

There's lots of reasons email gets returned.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 6:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks, I don't think I have another email address but I will check. I think I made a gmail one for my phone, but I don't do email on my phone. Can I access gmail from my laptop?