TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Transferring old VCR tapes

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Transferring old VCR tapes users admin

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, March 06, 2017 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I saw an article on Facebook about transferring old VCR tapes to your computer. And from there, making a DVD or sending them to people, etc.

So it says you need to buy an adapter. And an hour of video equals about 750 megabytes of storage, so you may also want to buy an external hard drive to store them.

I'm really thinking about doing this, but how complicated would it be? Anyone done it? I'm clueless on the storage problem.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Monday, March 06, 2017 - 9:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I don't know about the adapter but I've been doing that with my VCR tapes with a VCR/DVD deck and it's extremely time consuming because you have to play the tape and record in real time. Then I will have to download them to my computer to edit them. Somehow I thought at the time that my kids would want every minute of every ballgame, every gymnastics event, and every parade they were even in. Heck I even have complete t-ball practices. LOL

If you find that that's easier please let me know I think I still have about 25 or so tapes to convert. LOL

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, March 06, 2017 - 9:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
It's so easy, Hecka. I did it through an external tv tuner (under 30 bucks), but I guess there are other ways.

Example of external TV tuner (you would connect the VCR with a short coax cable to one end of it), and turn your software channel on the pc to 3 or 4, just like you do on a real TV. And hit the record button on your software.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-720828-001-External-TV-Tuner-Parrot-USB-/252572899623?hash=item3ace849927:g:tC4AAOSwvg9XaH3T

I don't have that exact brand. That's just an example.

Plus, then you would have an extra antenna tv in the house :-)

Really, it's easy.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, March 06, 2017 - 9:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I took mine to Costco to have it done when they had sales on it.

Don't wait to long because mine had really deteriorated.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, March 06, 2017 - 10:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Here is the very first thing I ever transferred from VHS to the PC. It's my puppy, Cupie. She's been gone a few years now, but the video is from 1995, transferred from VHS in 2002.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QdWjr8ZpuA

I learned how to make VHS transfers a better quality in the years after. I didn't know what I was doing for this one, but it turned out ok anyway :-)

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 8:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I've sent an email to one of my brothers, who is an expert in all things computer. One thing is my computer doesn't have anyplace to put a CD, which all of the adapters seem to have. Also clueless about an external tv tuner. Software has channels?

My computer has 1 GB of memory. Found that out today.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, March 07, 2017 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Oooooh. Nothing in that sounds simple to me. I have one VCR tape that I would enjoy having on DVD. I took it some place local. Results weren't very good. Maybe as good as it could be? Two hours on one tape. Two Oprah programs. I was on Oprah briefly / assigned front row seat so I could talk and also her show with JFK, jr.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 6:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Brother called last night. His advice was to record the tapes to DVD's. From there can do whatever with them. He said it would take up a lot of my computer's memory, if I record to it. So, will think about it.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 7:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
DVD's used to be the way to go but they are a hassle and there's questions about longevity. I'd buy a couple of external hard drives (one as a backup to the other). They're not very expensive, they're small and they're much easier to work with than DVD's. Of course, the external hard drives won't last forever but it's very easy to copy your media over from them to other drives or storage methods.

I think you may need to buy a new computer too. How old is your computer? The best method is to record to your computer's internal drive and then copy the recording to external media.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 8:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
My computer is 4 years old. Can't afford another one.

Naja

06-28-2003

Thursday, March 09, 2017 - 11:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
If you want to go the pc/tv-tuner/vcr way that I suggested, you would definitely need a more powerful computer.

The tv tuner way I suggested records your vcr tapes to video files on your computer that you can do anything with. Burn to dvd, store in a cloud or just keep saved on a hard drive, chop out clips and put on youtube, anything.

Naja

06-28-2003

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 12:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Hecka, the amount of ram on your computer doesn't really say how powerful of a computer someone has. There are more things involved.

1. Ram
2. Processor speed
3. Video card
4. Video card Memory

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, March 10, 2017 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
How much are the TV tuners? I have a few things I wouldn't mind transferring myself.

ETA: Just read back and saw your link to one you posted earlier. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: