TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 16, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through February 16, 2017 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
My signature is squiggles.. my doctor says it looks like a doctor's signature. Even though we each have first names starting with L, our squiggle signatures are quite different.

I see letters written by my grandmothers and mom, such nice cursive. My dad was left handed.. I could read his.. but it wasn't easy.

Y2krazy

09-17-2002

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 1:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Y2krazy a private message Print Post    
I am left-handed and my cursive is quite nice and very legible. I had a wonderful, caring 4th grade teacher who was also left-handed and a marvelous example.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 2:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
My dad was born at a time when lefties were not well supported.

I am right handed but did not get good grades in penmanship.. his writing was consistent.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I think cursive looked better when written with those old ink pens, the kinds you had to fill.

I think my grade school desks had ink wells!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 4:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I love writing in cursive but unfortunately rarely have the opportunity, just cards and a check once every two months.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 4:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
The worst thing is signing your name on one of those digital pads - it never works out well!

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
If kids can't write in cursive, how well can they read it?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 4:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
A cursive font?

I don't know if there is much to read in cursive any more..

Our desks had inkwell holders in elementary but I doubt that they wanted kids and ink unleashed..

Yeah signing on a digital pad is hardly a signature..

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
LOL, Roxip, I can relate!

Do you remember the days when you signed your credit card slip and they carefully compared it to the signature on the back of the card to be sure they matched? No matching now, not with those digital pads... it would be impossible!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 5:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Has anybody been watching The Middle, where Brick leads a Font Club at his school?

It is funny.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
As a teacher, I can say there have been studies done about the effects of handwriting(often cursive) on the brain. It's not just about being able to sign, it's about motor development, brain development, and even - at the HS level - the fact that writing notes is much more helpful for studying than just typing them or only reading them (forces students to prioritize, focus, and slow down a bit). It doesn't *have* to be cursive, but if we're using handwriting, no reason why it can't be. TBH - as an English teacher, I'm just thrilled when the handwriting is legible!

Jmm

08-15-2002

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 8:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I don't understand why they don't teach cursive. I hate having to print notes to people because they can't read cursive. People who can't write/read cursive will never be able to read the originals of many historical documents. Yes, I know there are always printed copies but to not be able to read the originals, I can not comprehend it.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 9:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Machines don't read cursive and if you even want machines to read hand printing you have to follow strict protocol.

So Printing has become the way of inputting if you are scanning.. of course entry by keyboard or device.

But in the meantime not only is cursive disappearing, but so is spelling.. U know? <shudder>

I'll give you more readable but please don't aim those single letters at me.

Teach.. I still take notes.. not that they are super readable.. but I tend to remember information better when I sit up front and take notes.

Most presenters don't leave information up long enough to capture it all, though.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 2:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Kota graduated high school in June, Caleb back in 2014...neither of them learned much beyond how to write their names in cursive in school. Dakota taught herself how to write in cursive a couple years ago when she got into calligraphy for her artwork and still uses it (still does calligraphy too) more often than not. Caleb prints everything.

Teach...Caleb's printing is so awful that he had teachers assign him printing homework to try to improve it and now has college teachers ask him to type homework out because they can't read his writing. He left me a note the other day telling me him and Marley were going to Walmart. I sent him a text asking, first who is Marley? and second, pick me up some pepper because I was out and he sent me one back saying, "Huh?" I called him and said this is what your note said! He said nope, he was at the college with his bff, whose name, btw, is nowhere close to Marley, lol. That's just how bad his printing is!

Anyway...I have two nieces who are in 3rd grade. Different schools in different cities. And both are learning cursive this year. I've actually seen some homework sheets that look just like mine did when I was that age. This is a very recent change though, my nephew who is in 5th grade, never had cursive homework and I'm not sure he knows how to write in cursive. I don't know if the schools are going back to teaching it or if it's just an odd coincidence that both of my 3rd grader nieces in different schools have teachers who are teaching it this year.

I think it's a shame...if kids can't write in cursive, they can't read cursive either. Mine may be sloppy as all heck and a mix of printing/cursive, but I can read it. I take notes too, especially if I'm at the doctor's office but I do it on my cell phone and always make sure to let the doctors/nurses know I'm not being rude texting, I'm note taking, lol.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 7:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Brick is hilarious. He is just so quirky and so happy with himself.

I use my dad's credit card all the time and sign for him - nobody even questions the fact that a female is signing Robert's card. Oh well, I also pay his bills so I guess it all equals out in the end.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 8:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Yes Roxip, Brick is happy with himself. I like that about him.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 - 9:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Thank you, Jmm for your 7:54 PM post. That's exactly how I feel about them not learning cursive.

I wonder what they replaced learning cursive with?

Since everything is texting and typing now, are more kids taking typing classes in school? I took it in high school as an elective, way back before there was an Internet or cell phones, because I figured it would be a good thing to know. (I was also getting out of a Latin class. Another good thing to learn, but I knew I was never going to pass after the first week. lol!)

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 10:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Do you guys think it's silly for an adult woman to want a couple guinea pigs as pets? My DH says it is silly. I had 4 of them while growing up and I loved them. I really would enjoy having them again.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 10:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, not at all, Naja. It's a pet, doesn't have to be a cat or a dog, guinea pigs are pets too.

Naja

06-28-2003

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
In order to try to get me to change my mind, DH keeps saying my dogs will eat them....LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Grooch, I think keyboarding replaced typing classes quite a long time ago.

Now? Maybe it is mouse and tiny keyboard with one finger or thunbs class..

Just wondering who Brick is? Glad to hear he is happy with himself.

Pigs are pets.. but the dogs would probably terrify them.

We get them at the shelter and adopt them out.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 12:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Brick is the youngest son on the tv show The Middle. He's rather quirky.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 1:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
But, can he write in cursive?

OK.. I had no idea.. but I like quirky

Grooch

06-16-2006

Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 3:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Sea, I feel so old now. Lol! I wonder if in the near future I will be seeing commercials on TV for thumb replacements instead of hip replacements.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Thursday, February 16, 2017 - 7:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
yes, instead of learning cursive, the kids do learn keyboarding, how to use a mouse, etc. A lot of the testing is now done on a computer so the kids need those skills.

Naja you should get whatever pet you want for sure! As a grown up you'll likely give it more care and attention than a kid would anyways. I tell my daughter all the time when she asks for a new pocket pet that she can get as many as she wants when she's grown up and has her own home! :-) (She did have a pair of rats, but that's it for pocket pets for us. We have a dog and cat.)