TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 05, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 05, 2016 users admin

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 6:56 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
In re the Starbucks holiday cups controversy - sometimes I wonder if that is a real thing or does Starbucks promote that in order to get more free publicity? (Not just Starbucks but a lot of companies...?)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 7:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I heard they are red but I googled it and it appears they are green. But are these the "holiday" cups?

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 7:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yes, they are green this year, and they promote "unity" which oddly enough is somehow controversial. Apparently "unity" has a "liberal bias."

ETA: Apparently Starbucks isn't calling these their "holiday" cups, so they may have another coming along.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 8:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Starbucks is supporting Clinton for president.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 8:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
They may be... the CEO has endorsed her... but the cups are simply a message for "unity"... so I find it hard to see that as a bad thing. :-)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 10:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
It is funny people get upset about the cups, weren't they upset last year because they took off the snowflakes or something, LOL.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 11:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
So Starbucks doesn't promote resuable mugs for regulars? Think of all those cups!

I don't drink coffee, but I'm pretty sure if I did it wouldn't be at Starbucks.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 11:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
They do promote reusable cups, but I don't think very many people use them.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 11:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
How in the heck do you get hep C? All of a sudden I am seeing all these commercials that Baby Boomers need to be tested because they could be infected.

Jeep

10-17-2001

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 12:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jeep a private message Print Post    
Hep C is transmitted by blood. Before 1990 there was no test for it in donated blood. Therefore, baby boomers may have been given infected blood if they had surgery, etc.

It may also be transmitted by getting tattoos, body piercings, etc. when infected non-sterilized equipment is used.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 7:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I use a re-usable cup at Starbucks - both cold and hot cups actually. Our local one has the re-usables ones right by the cash register and almost always has signs promoting them. I just like that my stainless steel hot cup keeps my coffee hotter longer than their to-go cups. :-)

And I agree- how can unity be 1) bad or even 2) liberal???? WT ever-lovin' F?

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Also, I think baby boomers are getting hooked on the prescription painkillers, ala Rush Limbaugh, and then proceeding to harder injectable drugs. I had to have Hep C immunizations for my job (federal law enforcement) 20-30 years ago because of the "clientele" we dealt with.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 10:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I met a woman in an email (or maybe snail mail! ) group years ago and she was writing a book about her life as a prison guard.. I typed it up, so I got to read it.. terribly written but rivieting stories and documentaries since then lead me to believe the stories were real..

Anyway she was stabbed in an attack by and inmate and later developed Hep C. One of the first cases I knew of (along with Naomi Judd). I've had one cancer patient I know of who also had Hep C.. which complicates treatment. And a hair stylist who I've known for many years.. he owned a solon where my stylist worked for awhile and later moved to her current salon so he was around most of the time when I come in. He had been going downhill the last years (he drank too) but we lost him recently to liver failure and it turned out he also had Hep C.

It seems to be all around.

I think the ads urging testing are partly because there is a new, supposedly better treatment that for some people, might even cure Hep C. Thus, people who felt it was hopeless so why find out should be tested.

Same goes for HIV, of course.

And, as I've lately been hearing from the programs at Hoag (hospital in Newport Beach) Neuro and from the UCI MIND project, this goes for dementia/Alzheimer's. They are saying that it IS important to get diagnosis because there are diets and things to be done, some of the meds, too, that can help people retain much more quality of life for a long time and delay going into Memory care indefinitely.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 3:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Yes, I had heard about the treatment because of Pamela Anderson, so I wondered if that was why there was such a rash of commercials.

But then I got to wondering how so many people had contracted it, since I thought it only came from sharing needles...little did I know!

Thanks for all the very interesting information.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 3:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Issue:

How is it that I can be perfectly warm, working on my computer and my one hand is cold, LOL, it is boggling to me.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 6:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    

quote:

How is it that I can be perfectly warm, working on my computer and my one hand is cold, LOL, it is boggling to me.

Old age, Dipo. I am told it gets a whole lot worse.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, November 03, 2016 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Oh lord no, I already have enough issues with my knees!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, November 04, 2016 - 6:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
If you were at my house then a cat would come and lay down on your hand using the mouse and keep it warm...regardless of whether you wanted that to happen or not!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, November 04, 2016 - 7:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
hahahaha, Roxip, my kitties don't lay on my hands, they want to sit in my lap while I am on the computer. It makes some very non correct sitting while I am working.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, November 04, 2016 - 9:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I understand! It is also very hard to play a game on the computer when your cat (who weighs a ton!) is laying on your mouse hand. Oh well, I guess it is better than them walking on the keyboard!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 7:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I was doing some shopping today, online for Christmas, and ventured over to Overstock.com. Man, their prices seemed high to me so how is it such a good deal?

So odd.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 9:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I also thought Overstock was overpriced and never ordered from them.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, December 04, 2016 - 9:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Overstock got to be a beacon of good prices for a while, until it hooked loyal customers who got used to thinking it always had the best prices, and then it raised prices right back up to retail. I pretty much never go there anymore.

Grooch

06-16-2006

Monday, December 05, 2016 - 3:52 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Grooch a private message Print Post    
I've only used Overstock for buying area rugs. They have a huge selection at good prices. It's so much easier then shlepping around to a bunch of different stores.

Other than that, I agree that they are expensive.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Monday, December 05, 2016 - 9:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Oh good, I'm glad it's not just me. I was looking for throws for Christmas gifts for some of the kids and I found plenty of $30 or $40 throws. Not for 4 year olds thank you very much.