TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through February 13, 2017

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through February 13, 2017 users admin

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, February 02, 2017 - 8:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
They also make these rubber things that remove animal hair (including ours).. and they can be used over and over. I have one that looks like a brush with thick spines. Have to admit I don't use it so much but it seems to work okay.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, February 03, 2017 - 11:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, ok so I guess I will just have to find a way to beat the dust out and then lent roller it, oh, maybe the vacuum will work! Thanks.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Monday, February 06, 2017 - 9:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
Divorced people, how did you decide who gets to claim the kids on their taxes every year? Did you put it in the divorce papers?

My daughter was supposed to get to claim her daughter this year. I went to file and it was rejected because her PITA ex claimed her again himself, as he did last year. So unfair!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, February 06, 2017 - 9:57 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I think someone else had this problem and indicated that it is supposed to be in the divorce decree....something like he gets the child on even years, and she gets the child on odd years.

Sounds like a trip back to the judge to get this in writing is in order.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 12:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
We did every other year for taxes as well as for major holidays. Our divorce papers specified who would have even years and who would have odd years.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 8:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
But unfortunately it usually defaults to "whomever files first gets the deduction" simply because the IRS has no way of knowing what the divorce decree says, and to go back and get it reversed after the fact can be time consuming and expensive. I would advise your daughter if she wants to pursue this issue to go back too her attorney and threaten to have her decree amended so that she gets full filing rights but again - that is expensive.

The honest truth is that in most cases the custodial parent's expenses far outweigh the tax deduction (something to consider in future custody disputes) unless it is a true 50/50 split.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
If your daughter should have been able to claim your granddaughter this year then - if she wants to pay for it - she should get her lawyer to get the ex to amend his return to take off the granddaughter, as per their agreement.

If she doesn't want to pay for that, which I understand, then she can file her taxes on paper (print everything out the old fashioned way), claiming granddaughter. What will happen then is that the IRS will send out letters to her and the ex, saying that one of them needs to amend. If the ex doesn't amend then, the IRS will ask for supporting documentation for who gets to claim granddaughter and apply their tiebreaker rules. The tiebreaker rules do NOT take into account the divorce agreement, instead the exemption will go to the custodial parent, unless it's true 50:50 then the exemption will go to the parent with the highest AGI.

So if your daughter thinks she will win in the end (i.e. if granddaughter spends more nights with her than him, or if the same then she has the highest AGI) then it's worth doing this now, as it will give the ex notice that she won't stand for it, and that every year the IRS will side in her favour and he'll have to pay back his refund. If she's going to lose in the end then all she can do is threaten using the divorce papers, as the IRS won't support her if the decision goes to them.

If she does the paper file and wait option she won't get any refund until it's all sorted out, which is probably going to be months.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I didn't know what to do, so I went ahead and efiled. She would have to do an amended return now. It's also costing her about $300 more taxes on her state return, too. Which she doesn't have. Have no idea how much her ex makes. He would probably win. Just so disappointed. Her ex is such an a*hole.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
If you efiled and it was rejected (I think that's what you meant by your 8.01pm post) then she hasn't filed, so now needs to either efile without claiming your granddaughter or paper file claiming your granddaughter.

Is she the custodial parent? If so it's worth dealing with this this year, or he'll take advantage every year.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
After that, I efiled for her without claiming her daughter, and it was accepted. They actually have shared 50/50 custody. She stays with one parent for two weeks, then the other parent for two weeks. And yes, I expect him to take advantage every year, the a*hole. He's completely selfish and unreasonable.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 5:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
That's tricky then, because the IRS won't choose her over him. She's going to have to try to do it through legal channels but I don't know how you do that side of it.

Next year hopefully beat him to the efile. If her situation isn't complicated but she has to wait for a form that always comes a bit late, she can file early with what she has and claim the child, then amend later (but before April 15th) to add in the info from the late forms. That's not recommended by the way, but you know, just sayin' it happens sometimes.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 07, 2017 - 6:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Heckagirl, technically there is no 50/50 custody because most years have an odd number of days.

One way she can fix this is to keep a journal of the days she actually has custody (the overnights). Then she can use that as her supporting docs to claim the deduction.

At least, that's what my attorney told me.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 10:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q: I have googled nine ways to Sunday and cannot get the answer, anyone have any ideas?

What is the halfway point between Concord, CA and Carmel by the Sea, CA?

I think it is San Jose but can't get google to tell me, TIA.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 11:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
As the crow flies or by road?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 11:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
680S to the 101S to the 1S route is 125 miles, 62.5 miles on the same route is south east San Jose.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, February 08, 2017 - 11:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, by road. I am trying to figure out a meeting place for a Sunday brunch.

OH thanks Kitt, I got 126 miles and San Jose was only 45 miles.

So I can start trying to find a good brunch place in San Jose or South San Jose.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, February 09, 2017 - 12:15 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
San Jose is about 20 miles long, so that makes sense!

If you're going for fancy, there are a lot of options at Santana Row, which is just off the 280. http://www.santanarow.com/dine#v-g&f-all

If you want homey there's a Bill's Cafe in Willow Glen http://www.billscafe.com/ which is also off the 280.

If you like Hobee's there's one in North San Jose (making the person coming from the South travel further) off Montague Exwy https://hobees.com/locations/n-san-jose/

Although you'll be on the 101 side of town it's let's say not the nicest area, so you'd be better off eating more central or at least West of the 101.

If you're ever down here without anything to do see if I'm free!

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 9:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
I was reading a survey on Face Book where I was to vote for or against cursive writing being taught in schools.

Most people said they thought it was not necessary for kids to learning cursive.

My question is, how does somebody who has not been taught cursive sign their name on a document.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 11:08 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Doesn't cursive come naturally if you just write a bit faster? It might not be traditional or a neat cursive, but I think joining everything up would come with time. Assuming kids these days write enough for it to come with time!

So I'm guessing they just practice their signature to try to make it look how they want and so they can sign things with a bit of flair, and it becomes cursive with time.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 11:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Kitt, FWIW, my DS was taught very little cursive (he's 22), and it took him some time to develop a "signature."

Y2krazy

09-17-2002

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Y2krazy a private message Print Post    
There are a lot of people these days who print their signature....sigh. I like cursive.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 11:55 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
There is nothing left of my cursive. I get so self-conscious when signing my name it is getting worse and worse and worse. I should practice my signature.

Merrysea

08-13-2004

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 11:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Merrysea a private message Print Post    
I find it so much easier and faster to write in cursive than by printing. (Of course, typing is my preferred method.)

Treasure

06-26-2002

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 12:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
I can no longer write in cursive. So, all my paper correspondence is printed. But my hand sometimes jerks so much that I can barely make printing readable. When I need to write my signature, it is sometimes a real struggle to keep it from just being squiggles. I have thought of getting a rubber stamp with my signature, but some places are not accepting rubber stamped signatures on their documents.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, February 13, 2017 - 1:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thank you for your answers.