TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 12, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 12, 2016 users admin

Treasure

06-26-2002

Friday, November 18, 2016 - 1:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
Sounds like the more modern southerners are getting away from the southern cooking of their earlier generations. ehehe That is too bad because a lot of the true, not modern, southern cooking was so very good!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Friday, November 18, 2016 - 1:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
}Stovetop Stuffing. Never stuff the actual turkey, think it is disgusting.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, November 18, 2016 - 5:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
LOL Jiffy is my go to cornbread! Was my mom's too.
I do what Hecka does, just sort of eyeballl things. I saute the onions and celery in butter, add in sage, black pepper and salt. The crumble up the cornbread and bread. Add the veggies, I only use 2 eggs, but add in cream of chicken soup and broth. I just sort of mix it all together till it 'feels right' if that makes sense. We like it nice and moist before we bake it. Then it kind of crusts up on the top but stays moist in the middle

Tish, do you have a crock pot? the website Plain Chicken has a really good, pretty true to southern (imho) crockpot recipe for stuffing. I have used it with some of my adaptions and it comes out great. Doesn't use oven space either.

You are a sweet friend!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, November 18, 2016 - 6:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, I use stovetop stuffing for the bread. So far I am doing celery, onions, sausage, mushrooms, walnuts and dried cranberry in my stuffing. I haven't ever used the cranberry before, trying it instead of the apples I normally use.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, November 18, 2016 - 7:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I actually prefer the stuffing that is cooked inside the turkey. It soaks up the juices. But since it's just me and my husband, I'm cooking a breast and will cook the stuffing separate in a pan in the oven. Hadn't thought of the slow cooker. May try that, as last year the stuffing really got too dried out.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, November 18, 2016 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
No crock pot here, unfortunately. I often feel like I should have one of those. Or a pressure cooker. Or both. Unfortunately, I just don't have space for it in my apartment and I don't know where I would put one. Every time I pull out my food processor from way up high, I'm convinced the whole heavy thing is going to crash on me heehee. (I don't even have a microwave because I hate clutter on my counters; my Soda Stream, which I love for making sparkling water, is a horror because I'd rather have next to nothing sitting there)

I'm definitely not putting it into the turkey, though, mostly because I'm spatchcocking the turkey because the food site I love so much says it's the best way to cook turkey. I'm also following their advice to dry brine it with salt, pepper, and baking soda (!) for a couple days before cooking it. I'll just use the backbone to make some stock.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 2:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I thought of you this morning Tishala, Pioneer Woman was making cornbread stuffing. It looked good but she used homemade cornbread and also added some cubed French bread to give it more substance.

Don't think that was very Southern, LOL.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, November 19, 2016 - 3:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Okay, I had to look up "spatchcocking" because it just sounded... wrong. LOL

Jmm

08-15-2002

Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 9:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Good, it wasn't just me, Karuuna. LOL

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 10:42 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
It's a hilarious word and I think that's why I remember it haha

I made the cornbread last night using the recipe Treasure linked to and it's great. I made one small change to it; instead of using 2 cups of buttermilk, I used 1 1/4 and then 3/4 cup sour cream. I'd read a recipe somewhere that had sour cream in it to make it tangier. I don't know how much difference it made, but it's really good. It's my first time making cornbread from scratch (I haven't made it often, but when I have, it's been Jiffy) and honestly it's so easy that I'll never make it any other way. As an added bonus, because there's no flour, I didn't have to worry about how much I beat it because there's no gluten formation with corn meal.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 10:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
Glad it turned out so well. Maybe I will give it a try sometime. ehehe Let us know if your family approves of it, too.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Is it too soon to make my stuffing? I am feeling like having some stuffing now, LOL. Would it last until Thursday?

Tishala

08-01-2000

Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I'm making mine tomorrow and letting the flavors meld in the fridge until Thursday (not cooking it, just to be clear. Everything up to that point)

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 3:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
That will work Tishala, but I was wanting to eat it today, and then save the leftovers for Thursday. I suppose I could make it all up and only cook a small portion for today, and let the rest meld in the fridge.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 11:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
My stuffing, the source of so much consternation, went down a treat. Also: I will never forgive my mother for giving us canned cranberry sauce all those years LOL. I made it for the first time this year and the first patch, with a bot of orange and cinnamon, was so good I made a second with orange juice AND segmented oranges PLUS grated ginger. It was, if I do say so myself, terrific.

Also, this recipe on Serious Eats is the only turkey recipe the world ever needs. Dry brine it for 48 hours or so with salt, pepper, and baking powder. No basting. No roasting pan. No nothing. Crispy skin and moist delicious meat.

Downside: when cutting up the chicken neck for gravy, I think I really did a number on my obscenely expensive and equally obscenely sharp Japanese chef's knife, which I used because I don't have a cleaver. Tomorrow I have to take it to get sharpened. Hope I haven't hurt it beyond repair.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, November 24, 2016 - 11:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So glad it turned out well! Bummer about the knife, I hate when that happens, LOL.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, November 25, 2016 - 6:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Glad it turned out so well!

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Friday, November 25, 2016 - 7:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Sounds like it was great!

Be sure to take the knife to a pro. Knife sharpening can be an art.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Friday, November 25, 2016 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
Really glad that the stuffing turned out so well.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, November 25, 2016 - 9:49 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
I forgot to thank you all for the ideas and help! I hope you saw it implicitly, at least :-)

Jimmer, I'm taking them to a place in Little Tokyo today. And then I'll probably be ordering a wet stone/whetstone in the next week.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 1:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
My sister and I were just talking about how our mother served us green beans in hot milk with a dab of butter.

Has anybody else had this combination? Did it originate in some other country or here?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 6:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hmmm, I never heard of that Dogdoc.

Eroica

07-28-2005

Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 6:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Eroica a private message Print Post    
Green beans and milk

Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. ...
Crush the garlic and remaining 1 teaspoon salt to a paste with a mortar and pestle; set aside.
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. ...
Stir in the green beans and milk, bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 8:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Thanks Dipo and Eroica.

This wasn't a milk sauce, it was just very hot milk, green beans and a dab of butter.

That recipe sounds good Eroica!

Sugar

08-15-2000

Monday, December 12, 2016 - 5:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Does anyone know if one could add a bit of baking powder, maybe 1/8 teaspoon to brownie mix so that they would rise for brownie cupcakes or better yet mini cupcakes? Would it work, would it taste ok?