TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 22, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: Daily Poll: ARCHIVES: Archive through December 22, 2016 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Today it is gray and cold outside, was down to freezing last night in some areas. Rain is on the way.

It's so gloomy I left my Christmas lights on, LOL.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 3:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Sunset here was at 4:41 PM. I'm a little surprised that it gets dark so early in some parts of the States.

Mack

07-22-2002

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 5:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
When I was on staff at Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, Washington I would go three or so months where I went to work in the dark and came home in the dark. I think the shortest days in December have sunrise around 7:30 AM and sunset around 4:20 PM. It got kind of depressing as it also wasn't the sunniest time of the year even on my days off.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 7:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Sunrise 6:44am, Sunset 4:43pm ..

Jimmer, I think here the Pacific just sucks that sun right in..

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 8:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
New question:
How/When do you say "NO" to a family member?

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 9:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
I started this question because I have issues with my son: My 31 yr old son has issues with drugs. He has been incarcerated for dealing, he has not paid anything towards getting clear! He just thinks it will go away. He has NOT seen my grandson in over 3 yrs (my grandson is 5 yrs old)! I have a great bond with my grandson's mom! My son, calls me when he gets himself in messes that he cant get out of on his own & I come thru for him.

However, I think that my son is using me! Reason: He knows that I won't send him $. But, he knows that I will go online & get him a bus ticket out of wherever he is that is bad.

I have gone online & bought my son 3 bus tickets that he never got on the bus to go............ I'm thinking, my kid has some kind of deal with that person at the bus station there in Florida & my hard earned $$ are not only supporting my looser son, but a % is going to some bus terminal employee!

Nope! Not getting taken anymore!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 9:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
That must be very hard. It really does sound like he was selling the tickets back for cash. I would say that you saw that he didn't use the last bus tickets you bought him, so that obviously doesn't seem to be something he actually needs. But I can't pretend it would be simple balancing your emotions with that one. Best of luck to you.

For me, I say no to my husband all the time ;).

My parents are wonderful and never ask for anything. I ask to do things for them and they won't let me, so most of the time if I think they need help I force myself on them, never quite knowing if they do or not. Actually they probably don't know how to say no to me.

No kids, so I don't know that experience.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 - 11:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I don't have kids and my brother has never needed my help, but if he did I would have no reason to distrust him.

My cousin.. asthmatic all his life, smoker, diabetic I don't know when drinking became a problem in later life, but then he had a stroke. Kept smoking and drinking.. was unable to work, except a job provided by the church where hus wife was ayouth leader and choir director.

She did stop enabling him and he stolke things.. I knoiw she had to deal a lot until his various behaviors killed him. So sad.

I agree, he just sold the tickets.

I wish I knew anything to advise.. addictions are just horrible to have to deasl with.

Just the other day, I ran across a maathon of the reality show Intervention and it certainly brings home how the addict has to be ready to change.. but it also shows how difficult it is not to enable the addict, especially one you love.

So, I wish you the best, Texasdeb and I absolutely think you are totally correct.

I know you have support here.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, December 15, 2016 - 12:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
This sounds like my niece. She is an addict and continues to hurt my sister.

I try to be supportive of my sister to let Ashley go, and she does it sometimes. Ashley is almost 30, and just thinks others will take care of her.

Most recently she broke into my sisters house, stole all her jewelry and pawned what she could, took a bunch of designer purses and other things that she could sell.

Fortunately my sister figured it out, only by accident and called Ashley on it. She had to pay to get her jewelry back and I think she has finally said enough is enough.

I gave up a long time ago but try to be a sounding board for my sister. I want to tell her to just let her go and use tough love, but it has to be her idea, so I just listen and try to be supportive.

Texasdeb, it is good for you so say no more.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
New Question

Have you ever given money to a particular charity only because of their tv advert?

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 2:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I don't think I have, I tend to give to the big charities who don't need to advertise that way, but the Shriner's Hospital ad tempts me every time.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
No, I tend to give to local charities.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 4:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I don't think I have ever been influenced by a TV ad for a charity.

Holly

07-21-2001

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 4:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Yes. I'm a sucker for St. Jude's children's hospital and the SPCA animal ones too. I have also included St. Jude's in my will. Breaks my heart to see little kids suffering from cancer.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 5:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Not so far.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
No. We get our tv from Los Angeles stations so our local organizations get short shrift.

And I tend to favor groups without the big advertising bucks.

Texasdeb

05-23-2003

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 6:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texasdeb a private message Print Post    
no! Any charity is given to animal services.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 6:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
No. Although St Judes and Shriners tugg at my heart. But I never pass a Salvation Army Christmas mall collection without dropping off some money.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 6:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
There are a few that are heart tuggers, but I usually switch the channel.

I have several groups I give to every year and I have a monthly donation for my local food bank.

Anytime I see a SA kettle I drop some money in.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
No, I hate to admit that I have been frequenting a television fan site for SIXTEEN years but never actually see television commercials. I almost never watch live television, and if I do, I read during the commercials, or get up and attend to some quick chore. I am retired. I have NO spare time. Every minute counts.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 - 8:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I often read AND play Yachtzee while watching tv commercials.. uh, and too often, while watching a show..

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
No. First - I rarely see commercials. Second - we focus on cancer charities. I HAVE given to Bloodwise as a result of a celebrity, though. Sam Heughan's My Peak Challenge is in its third year. The first year we were thrilled to raise $150,000. Last year we raised $299,000 - enough to fund a study at John Hopkins for an adult leukemia cure. The numbers for this coming year won't be in for a bit, but I expect we'll hit at least $350K. Add to that riding bike for World Child Cancer and our local Lymphoma/Leukemia charity, and you can tell it's a cause that's near and dear to us.

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 12:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
No. I donate regularly to the DAV as well as local animal shelters and a variety of animal charities.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 1:45 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I tend to donate my time and spend that time and gas money in direct service to people (and some cats), where I know exactly who I am helping.

I do donate at various walks but looking up the organizations on Chsrity Navigator at times brings a raised eyebrow in terms of administrative and fundraising costs.

I do like the ads running here for Children's Hospital of LA, featuring Drew Barrymore, pointing out that if you "live LA, you should give LA". Meaning that if your chikd is very sick, cancer or whatever, they not that likely to be going to St Jude..

Of course to me that extrapolates to.. remembering to support your nearby children's hospital, in my case, CHOC, Children's Hospital of Orange County.

It is a good point, and St Jude is great, but they get major national support and attention, especially from celebrities.

Mak1

08-11-2002

Thursday, December 22, 2016 - 7:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mak1 a private message Print Post    
No. I have a few charities I regularly give to.