TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through December 09, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through December 09, 2016 users admin

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 7:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
You do need to be careful with generic batteries though, some are good, some are bad, and some are dangerous.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
They told me 'at the battery place' that I was over charging..and that's why it went bad, now I charge only till its ready and then pull the plug, its been over a yr and no problem..

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, November 27, 2016 - 8:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks everyone!

Yeah I think this phone is a couple of years old, and I had been thinking about upgrading it. So I will probably do that.

My sister and I have had the same phone and I just saw her yesterday and she had upgraded, but had not mentioned it me, LOL. I like her new one so will look at getting a better one.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, November 28, 2016 - 8:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Remember the good old days when you were eligible for an upgrade which meant that you got a phone at a sizeable discount...or free? Now it just means they don't charge you extra for a new phone! I just bought an iphone 7+ for my daughter (it is an early Christmas present since her's kind of was going downhill fast) and it was $849 PLUS I have to get the cracked screen on her old iphone fixed so I won't get dinged for that when I return it. These phone companies are really jacking with us folks!

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, November 28, 2016 - 1:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
YEs, it's all a huge scam now. They have us over a barrel because we all depend on our phones. No more "free" phone or even a discounted one. My daughter and I upgraded to the iphone 7 after she broke her phone and basically we are leasing our phones for a monthly fee. We don't own them. In 18 months we can go trade in for a new phone to lease.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, November 28, 2016 - 1:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I use Tracfone or however they misspell it.

I got a deal on it at HSN.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, November 28, 2016 - 2:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Seamonkey, I just did that as well. They had a great deal for $59.95, plus it came with minutes/media/text, and triple minutes for life.

It is a lot bigger than my current one, seems to have more "stuff". Only bummer is that I only get 90 days, but can transfer over my existing mintes/days.

My sister got a year on her new phone darnit, LOL.

No biggie though because it doesn't cost that much to pick up more days when I get more minutes. Which I may need since I am using more than I thought for my new job.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, November 28, 2016 - 4:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Heh, I have an att phone, but it's a cheapie $25 a month one. 250 minutes, unlimited text which works for me since I don't talk on the phone all that often. I've had it 5-6 years. I just told Darren the other day I really need to look into a new phone since mine is beat to hell, but it'll be the same type of thing when I get a new one.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, November 28, 2016 - 8:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Wargod, go on HSN.com and check out the phones they have with tracfone. You sound like you use yours like I use mine. I don't access the internet, well except for Big Brother Buddy keeping me up to date in the summer, and I have it for long distance phone calls which I normally don't have.

And I do text with a few friends, so it works perfectly for me and isn't even $25 per month, more like $20 per quarter.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, November 28, 2016 - 11:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Yep, I like my cell phone to be a phone and to text. I don't need internet on it or anything smartish. Up until recently, I didn't even use my cell enough to use up all the minutes. Since disconnecting the house phone, I'm using it more for calling (doctors, everyday phone calls, etc,) so I might need more minutes. Definitely need a new phone soon though.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
I remember the good old days going to my mom's home ...2014. My mom still had her rotary phone. (Even though sis put 2 cordless phones/answering machines in home).

Damn, I miss her .

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 12:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I paid more than $59 but have triple minutes, text and download? for life so they say.

It isn't as big as the bigger smartphones but before that I had a flip phone.

This will do anything but I have too many emails on my account so it gets stuck trying to download.

I wait til I have wifi to do much though if I need to make a call or text, I just do it with or without wifi but I always have a Kindle Fire with me so with wifi I can do everything but make a call or text. So if I need internet or email or want to read I'm set. I also use calengoo which is invaluable in maintaining my schedule

I think I started out with a year and they were supposed to email to warn me to add time.. they didn't, they texted.. so I saw a text finally that it expired that day but it stopped working. Just when a patient needed to call me. Can I say I was pissed? So I renewed for 3 months and then I just extended for a year so I don't have to fiddle with it.

I don't spend much at all.

I do have a landline through spectrum (formerly Time Warner) because at home I really prefer speakerphone on a regular handset (but no cords for years ;}

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 4:49 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Dipo, I just got smartphones for Bigdog and me. They were cheaper at walmart.com and in the Walmart store than the prices on HSN. The minutes (and MB and texts) triple. I had a lot of carryover minutes from the old Tracfone flip phone, and we got Bigdog a 120 minute card (which tripled everything) for $30, good for 90 days. If he needs more minutes, we will just go get another card. Both of us might need more minutes, since we do not have a phone in the condo down here in South Padre Island this year. So my minutes were expiring Nov. 26, and I needed to buy another card to keep the minutes rolling over. I happened to see a 30 day card with 200 minutes, 500 texts, and 200 MB data for $15 and decided to try that. (The minutes, MB and texts on this type of card do not triple)

Also with these new smartphones, if we start texting a lot, I saw a card good for 1000 texts (only texts) for $5. That is 1/4 cent per text, LOL. We can afford that!

I am really liking Tracfone so far.

(Y'all might remember I formerly had Virgin Mobile, as did Twinkie, and one day they just completely wiped out my account that had about $300 in rollover pay by the minute credit. They cancelled the account for non-payment. It was on AUTOPAY. And there was no getting the money back either. I had read about them doing that with other people. I would NEVER trust Virgin Mobile again.)

Kitt

09-05-2000

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Question

My husband has a repeat prescription, and the doc allows a year's worth before he goes in to get a new prescription. He had his annual physical about six weeks ago, so he's filled about two months' worth of the year's available prescription.

Husband is likely to be changing jobs and the current doc won't be in network, so he'll have to change. Does this mean he'll have to see a new doc before he can refill the prescription for next month, or is there another way to keep the current prescription going for the rest of the year (next 10 months) before he has to make an appointment with a new doctor?

They're just low dose cholesterol meds, he's been taking them for years, so I can't see a new doc wanting to change them, I just wonder if they will prescribe without an office visit (or more to the point, the fuss of trying to find a new doc in network who's taking new patients while in his first month at a new busy job).

Jmm

08-15-2002

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 - 8:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
I should think that the prescription would be good for the amount of refills available regardless of the insurance or the doctor who prescribed it. I've changed insurance before (not doctor though) and just kept getting the refills with my new insurance information.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 7:46 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I haven't had a "regular" doctor for three years now (I keep meaning to find one but haven't gotten around to it yet) and have been able to keep my prescriptions going...when they start running out I go to an urgent care clinic and they will renew them for me (they do routine visits too which is good for me).

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
OK, thanks, going to have to see if we can get hold of a copy of the prescription, as it all seems to be done electronically these days. Or maybe the pharmacist will just be able to do that from the latest pill bottle details. I'm clueless about these things!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Doesn't the pharmacist keep his prescription on file? Unless your prescription requires a doctor's approval before the prescription is refilled you should be good for as long as the prescription is good for (for instance if you just got a new 12-month prescription then you should be able to continue getting it filled throughout its duration). Even if it requires a doctor's verbal approval his old doctor is likely to continue approving it unless your husband was required to come in for routine tests (blood, urine, etc.) in the past.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 4:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Well the oddity is that his work has a medical clinic, and they have doctors there and a pharmacist (also optician and dentist, but they're not urgent). Great while you're an employee but not so much when you leave!

So he won't even be able to use the same pharmacy once he quits. But he says he has his doctor's email so hopefully they will sort it out.

Dogdoc

09-29-2001

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 7:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dogdoc a private message Print Post    
Kitt, if he needs a new doctor to write the prescription , he will probably have to have an examination.

It is illegal to prescribe a drug without seeing the person and having a doctor/patient relationship.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 7:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Kitt, the prescription should be good for a full year, regardless of where you get it filled, so once he changes jobs and hopefully gets new insurance, just have the prescription transferred. If it were me, I would have him go NOW and get a 90 day refill, or as many refills as they will give him (get the remaining 10 months if they will allow it), which buys you time to worry about it later.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 7:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Hours before I was able to get insurance (expiring 11/30) I decided to call and get the prescriptions refilled...just in case a problem w/getting new insurance. Well, no (thought that would be the case, but tried)....we had delivery in october ...too soon.

Last 2,days SO bad re insurance...by all settled now. So, if I have a heart attack over that stress I'm covered....lol.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Good to know, Juju, thanks. Seems like he will now not leave until mid January, which means he can get a three month prescription something like Dec 14th which is great, and hopefully they will then fill the remaining six months under the new insurance later on.

This is why they shouldn't tie health insurance to jobs! I've got to find a new doc too at some point too, and it always seems such pot luck.

Glad you got your problem settled, Abby!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, December 09, 2016 - 11:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q? Is there some sort of formula for how charitable donations impact taxes? Like if I donate $1 I get a $2 break on taxes?

I have quite a few charitable donations but have a large increase in income due to a stock sale from a cash merger and an end of year contract. So I am trying to see if I should increase my donations.

Thanks!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, December 09, 2016 - 1:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
It depends on your income and whether you can itemize deductions in amounts that will make itemizing better than standard deductions and no you certainlty wouldn't get a break bigger than the value of your donations.. at least no way I'm aware of.

The higher your income, the bigger the amounts you need to qualify for deductions since it is based on percentages of income.

And of course you have to have receipts (if they ever audit).

I imagine turbotax is out by now.. in fact I need to pick up or download.. and you can use that to figure things out.

If you were able to itemize last year then you have a starting place to see what higher income does to that calculation.

But hopefully someone who does taxes will have more definitive answers and come along here.