TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Amazon Echo and Echo Dot users admin

Texannie

07-15-2001

Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 6:31 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
I have had my Echo for a year and love it!!! I just won an Echo Dot as a prize for a work thing. I am having trouble syncing the two together.
Anyone familiar with these?

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 10:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Sync? In what respect. The sound won't sync between the two. Sound out of two Echos won't sync. Pretty sure the Dot is simply a mini Echo. I have two Echos.

Dlkuhn4

07-13-2002

Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 4:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dlkuhn4 a private message Print Post    
I bought the Amazon tap over a month ago and still can't get it to work right. It will play sound with my movies and music if I set it up on the kindle but it won't sync to my WiFi so I can't ask it questions or ask it the weather or to play my playlist. I called Amazon they claim my WiFi isn't strong enough connection. I don't get it .I think I paid 130 for a plain old speaker.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Friday, April 12, 2019 - 9:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I like these things -- or I'm trying to. I've had Echos pretty much from the beginning. Currently I have two Echo Shows 1st gen, Echo 1st gen, and a Tap. I had Amazon Music Unlimited for a few years. Canceled that today. Amazon Music for sure is not Unlimited.

So I'm back to Spotify. Sometimes confused about how the Spotify app works. Sometimes (too often?) getting Echo to play what you want by voice request is ridiculous. After how many years, it still needs work.

Anyone else have Echos and Shows and . . . ?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 7:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
We have Apple devices but even I can’t force myself to buy their overpriced HomePod.

Siri drives me crazy too. She’s getting better but she’s still so unintuitive. Google is better at understanding and providing what you want.

One good thing though about Apple is I think they are less intrusive when it comes to privacy.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, April 13, 2019 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I've got Apple too -- MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. My iPhone is an "old" 6 Plus. iPhone sales have been down. I think Apple is pricing them too high for many. They're too complicated for me. Sticking with my 6 Plus for a while yet.

I've had Kindles and Echos / Shows from the beginning. I have an old Fire tablet that still works and love it. And an Amazon Fire TV box. Do prefer it to Apple TV.

Voice request things can get frustrating and infuriating and . . . . And then sometimes it works well.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 02, 2021 - 2:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
So, I asked for an Echo Dot for Christmas. The first couple of weeks, I really liked it.

The last week, SOMEONE ELSE is sending commands to my dot, and then Alexa responds with please open the app and connect your (Uvo, Delta, VivantSmartHome) account to complete this action.

Uh, I don't have any of those accounts! And this is happening in the Middle. of. the. night, so Alexa wakes me with her response.

I chatted with an alexa rep thru the app, and he showed me how to find the audio recordings of commands given to my dot. And those commands are coming from a man with a foreign accent.

It took me awhile to convince the rep it wasn't me... duh. I live alone.

So they are "looking into it."

I don't know whether to be pissed, or scared.

Scooterrific

07-07-2005

Tuesday, February 02, 2021 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Scooterrific a private message Print Post    
Kar I'm leaning to the scared side.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 02, 2021 - 4:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
yeah, I've been alternating back and forth. For the most part I can't make out what he's saying, but he did tell "Delta" to go to Domino's and then to "return to the dock." Drone? IRobot? Who knows??? LOL

Tntitanfan

08-02-2001

Tuesday, February 02, 2021 - 6:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tntitanfan a private message Print Post    
How scary to have your possession/tool/device under the control of an unknown person!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 02, 2021 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
It really freaked me out to hear the recording of his voice on MY app!

Egbok

07-13-2000

Tuesday, February 02, 2021 - 7:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Egbok a private message Print Post    
Yikes Karuuna!!

I think you are right to be on the scared size. Your situation is very creepy too.

I hope you will get some resolve from the Alexa Rep.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, February 02, 2021 - 7:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
stay safe! that is scary!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Tuesday, February 02, 2021 - 7:14 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I don't think it's dangerous.

Trying to figure out if he's trying to command a drone thru the alexa app, or a robotic vaccuum.

He's using the Delta house app and says things like "Delta, go to dominos." or "Delta go to docking station."

At 5 in the morning, my time.

And he says something else and Alexa tells me I need to link my UVO account. I don't even know what that is.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, February 02, 2021 - 9:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Check the attic.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Tuesday, February 02, 2021 - 10:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
I've had some form of Echos for years. I don't think it's dangerous. I'd be pissed getting wakened in the middle of the night. Pretty sure there's a button on it to turn sound off.

I have two Echo Shows now -- one in bedroom and one in living room. Never worried about it, but have always had the camera on the bedroom Show covered. Day after Thanksgiving 2019 when I was in living room heard a strange voice out of Show?? Looked at it. I was live on the screen!!!!!! I was hacked. Called Amazon. Talking to them came to nothing. Needless to say I covered the camera on the living room Show also.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, February 03, 2021 - 7:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
LOL, Juju, that really didn't make me feel better. :-) But if someone wants to vacuum my attic, so be it.

Colord - they assured me they would get this fixed. I did find a way to turn the volume to zero at night (I just tell Alexa set volume to zero). Checked the logs this morning, another connection at 4:10 am, but can't make out what he said... only "Alexa..... static, static, static."

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Wednesday, February 03, 2021 - 8:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
That's bizarre. Kind of makes me question the security.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, February 03, 2021 - 8:43 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
yeah, me too. I checked with my son to see if he bought a reconditioned one, and he said no... it was new on Amazon.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Wednesday, February 03, 2021 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Wish I had thought to check log / history of my Show when it happened. Wonder who / what??? No strange voices here since.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Wednesday, February 03, 2021 - 4:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Colord, I would not have known how to check if they hadn't walked me thru it... it wasn't easy to find.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, February 04, 2021 - 4:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
You're talking about Alexa app > Settings > Alexa account > History > Review voice history ?? Yes, it's hidden.

I forget that's there. All kinds of interesting things in the Alexa app.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Thursday, February 04, 2021 - 8:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Yes! I would never have found that on my own. It's not quite the same stack for me.

More, Settings, Alexa Privacy, Review Voice History. (I wouldn't have thought that to be under privacy... )

Update: Had an Email from Amazon Tech Support that they tried to call and left a voice mail. Nope, no voice mail.

Emailed them back and repeated my correct phone number.

No new weird voice recordings last night, so that's good.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Thursday, February 04, 2021 - 1:01 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
My two Shows are older models. Don't do anything fancy / techie with them. Certainly no phone calls involving screen (or not involving screen). Rhetorical, was I hacked by who knows? Or by Amazon employee? Curious about it. Doesn't worry me much. Camera in living room is covered.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, February 05, 2021 - 10:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I'm about to go digital postal on Amazon. EIGHT times my Echo recorded someone speaking to Alexa last night. EIGHT times!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, February 05, 2021 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
So I wrote a review, it was honest and just factual, and they refused to post it.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, February 05, 2021 - 2:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
This is starting to remind me of those baby monitors that got hacked, and parents heard people talking in their babies rooms.

Jimmer
Board Administrator

08-29-2000

Friday, February 05, 2021 - 3:39 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I don't want to be negative but it's pretty disappointing and shameful that they allow this sort of thing to happen and don't appear to care other than wanting to suppress it.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Friday, February 05, 2021 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
They do stay in touch and say they are working on it, but you'd think they'd have it figured out by now? I don't think I'm the only person with this issue, that's highly unlikely.

But yeah, refusing my review... that wasn't right. It was very fair and honest, facts only.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Sunday, February 07, 2021 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
Still no help from Amazon. Last night I changed the wake up word (no longer Alexa)... and not a single recorded message. Hmmmmm....

I wish they gave you more options for wake up words however, you have to choose from four.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, March 13, 2021 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Maybe have your son post your review, as he bought the device so he would be a verified buyer?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Register Now
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: