TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 20, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: Free Expression...: Daily Poll: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 20, 2016 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 9:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Hahahahaha, Seamonkey. I just recently, like within the past month, memorized the spelling of fuchsia because there is a Fuchsia Lane somewhere near to where we just moved (same city, just across town). That one I remember by badword-s-i-a, with an h instead of a k in the bad word.

In my head I always used to spell it fuschsia, with an unnecessary and gratuitous s in the miffle.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, October 17, 2016 - 5:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Me too.

My great grandfather was interesting with his name choices.. or maybe it was great grandmother.. they had three children and named them Fuchsia May, Blanche Violet and Selye deGraff

They went by.. well I don't know what my grandmother went by earlier in life.. I just heard her called "Mother" by my mom and aunt, "Fewsh" by my dad (we thought that was a term for mother in law) and "Mac" by people since her husband was called that for his last name McPherson and he had died before I was born so people in their town in Indiana called her "Mac" after that. She was "Gram" to us.

Her sister went by Polly, not Blanche Violet and the brother went by Sal.

Their mother died, father remarried and they had a daughter who got to be named Maureen. I think the second wife had more sense or just nixed her husband's choices.

My grandmother's namesake flower is pretty at least.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, October 20, 2016 - 8:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
New Question:

If you were giving marriage advice to newlyweds, what would be the #1 thing you would tell them?

And this is for everyone...married, not currently married, never married. Sometimes the best advice comes from people with a totally different perspective.

Darren and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary on Nov. 1. He's 45 and worked for his company for 21 years, as such, he's considered one of the old guys to the much younger guys he works with. Early 20's, some of them bachelors or married only a year or two.

He came home last night and told me that they were talking on lunch break, him, another of the older guys, and some of the younger ones when one of the younger ones asked for advice. Guess his shift is changing to swing shift, his wife works days, and she's pretty upset about it, guy knows me and Darren did that for years and he wanted to know how we handled it. Darren told him pretty much it sucked, which I thought wasn't too helpful, lol. Then he told the guy that because they won't have much time together during the week, he has to make sure to save weekends for quality time for the wife.

But, his biggest piece of advice for that situation and pretty much everything else, is to laugh. Find stuff to joke about, tease each other (not in a mean way!,) and laugh. It'll get you through anything.

I 100% agree with Darren on that. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but we laugh and joke about nearly everything. I don't care how bad things get, we can find something to laugh about. And we tease each other constantly.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, October 21, 2016 - 10:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Tricky one. I'd say accept each other as you are, even the bad things. Like I get really grouchy when I'm tired, and when he's stressed he bottles everything up and won't say anything. But both will pass, no point getting upset in the moment and adding drama when someone's already not feeling their best.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, October 21, 2016 - 4:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Based on my experience .. don't expect to change your spouse, but if they decide to change something, as in improve appearance, lose weight , etc, please don't get insecure and sabotage them.

happened to me and eventually it drove me away and my ex did the same to his second wife and it was sad to see her be dragged down.

(she might get more pretty and leave me).

So I'd say communicate, and don't let paranoia cause you to drive them away.

Jmm

08-15-2002

Friday, October 21, 2016 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
My advice is the same as yours, War. Find something to laugh about every day.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
Before getting married: Never settle.

Newlyweds: Be honest - always.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 2:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Let the small things go. Don't try to change the person. (I need to take my own advice.....Monday I got a bit upset re: how the recycle items were handled....lol. )

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 3:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
This may sound strange but be sure that you like your partner as much as you love them.

Abby7

07-17-2002

Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 3:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Abby7 a private message Print Post    
Jimmer not strange at all. I do get what you are "saying".

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 3:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Acceptance of who each other is. And date nights refresh the romance.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 7:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, I agree 100% with that.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 8:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
New Question:

I think that small acts of kindness are just as important as big ones. A friendly smile towards a stranger, saying please and thank you, holding a door open for someone can make a difference.

What was the last small act of kindness you performed or were the recipient of?

I dropped my mom and Kota off at the grocery store earlier and went to get gas in the car. On the way to the store, Dakota had been telling us about a friend of hers who was called a nasty name today. I was feeling pretty disgusted by the time I dropped them off.

I was paying cash, so I ran into the gas station and the cashier was counting up change or something. As I was waiting this older woman came up with three young kids, little boy was about 4 or 5. The two girls were busy begging grandma for gum.

The little boy looked up at me smiling, and said, "Hi, how are you?" I couldn't help but grin as I told him hello and I was doing good and asked how he was doing. He was fine, btw. I told grandma he was a very nice little boy and had to laugh when he piped up with "Thank you!" I grinned all the way back to get Kota and my mom.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 9:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
Not sure if this really counts or not. Probably not a kindness but an exchange that I think made both of us happy.

Out the front of the house we have an orchard. Once or twice a week an oldish man drives around on a tiny green tractor and does things to the fruit trees, I'm usually at the back of the house so don't often see him, but I just happened to go to the mail box when he was quite close. I didn't notice him at first (he was stopped, so no noise) then when I did I just kind of stared in an "oo look, the tractor man is there" way, then suddenly realised what I was doing, laughed at myself and waved enthusiastically at him. He seemed so happy! He smiled and waved back as wildly as I did and apparently when my mum was here she saw him and he did the same, unprompted this time, to her. I haven't seen him close to the fence since, but the little exchange stuck with me because we both seemed to catch ourselves staring at the other, and enjoyed the sudden shared moment of realisation of each other.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 9:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
I like that Kitt and it's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Thursday, November 10, 2016 - 10:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Those small moments make up my life.. and the rewards are huge..as you both deceribe, the smiles are priceless!

Most recent.. today I was walking into the doctor's office. They are remodeling and I actually tripped slightly because I walked through window frame (no glass yet). A woman was pushing her mom in a wheelchair behind me and I laughed with them and held the actual door open for them. I like holding the gate open for people at the shelter.. ulterior motive is that I can make sure the gate is latched behind them, to protect any dogs who might get loose.

Nice question, War!!!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Friday, November 11, 2016 - 6:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I try to always have a certain fruit and nut bar in my purse or pocket as a snack but whenever I see a panhandler I will give it to them. My favourite time was on the subway a few months ago. This scrawny old fellow was working his way through the subway car begging and everyone was ignoring him. I ran over to him on the other side of the car and offered him a bar and he was so thankful. Other passengers looked at me like I was bonkers, but I didn't care. I was happy I had an opportunity to help the gentleman even a little bit, in my own small way.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Friday, November 11, 2016 - 11:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
I bought lunch for a woman who was asking for change for something to eat. I took her to the Chinese restaurant around the corner from the Starbucks we were at and told her to get what she wanted. She was trying to get a small plate but I told her to get what she really wanted and she bought more. I felt so good after that, especially when she said she would take it home to share with her grandson.

Pippin04

10-26-2007

Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 7:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pippin04 a private message Print Post    
We have very little parking in our city, so when I have to do errands I take public transit. If I have to make many stops I get a daypass. When I return home to my metro stop I always give the pass to another person so they do not have to buy a ticket. They are always shocked and thankful and I always remind them to pay it forward.

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 7:19 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
Ophiliasgrandma posted a question in the Discussions thread in the Games area. Dogdoc suggested that the question might get more responses in the Daily Poll thread. Here’s OG’s question along with the answers that have been posted so far...

What was the worst pain you ever had in your life?

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 7:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
OG's answer...

My labor giving birth to 3 children paled in comparison to slamming my finger in the car door. I thought I was going to pass out. Only did that one time.

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 7:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
My answer...

Physical pain, kidney stones. I've had them twice. On one of those occasions, in the ER, a phlebotomist and an ER nurse, separately, told me that they'd given birth and they'd had kidney stones and the pain of kidney stones is far worse than the pain of childbirth. It puts you on your knees.

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 7:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
Dogdoc's answer...

Plantar fasciitis for three months.

Littlebreeze

02-18-2001

Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 7:22 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Littlebreeze a private message Print Post    
Mameblanche's answer...

When I had my blocked bowel several years ago. It was by far the worst pain ever.

Mamie316

07-08-2003

Sunday, November 20, 2016 - 9:51 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mamie316 a private message Print Post    
Childbirth