TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through November 18, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: ARCHIVES: Archive through November 18, 2016 users admin

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, July 15, 2016 - 6:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Thanks Dipo and Treasure, I did do a search but came up with several answers too. I think I will pitch.
Dang it was good too!!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 15, 2016 - 7:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Next time freeze half, that was what just about every one mentioned.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 12:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Does anyone have a good recipe for a good chocolate frosting for sugar cookies? I want to do some turkey cutouts and brown tint has a bit of an aftertaste that I find unpleasant. I generally just do powdered sugar, a bit of butter, splash of milk and maybe some vanilla for cookie frosting. Can I just add some cocoa powder?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Sugar, I bet melted chocolate chips would work really well.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 - 4:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I suppose I could try that and either dip the cookies or paint them.

So freakin sick of cookies now. Made a batch of sugar cookie dough, which is chilling in fridge. Then made chocolate & peanut butter chip cookies, butterscotch chip cookies and chocolate chip cookies. Only some of them are, let's just say a bit crispy.

Sugar cookie cutouts tomorrow. I usually make several batches of that dough, glad I only did one. Will make lots for Christmas, last year was 1 cookie short of 12 dozen sugar cookies. One of my sisters and her 2 young kids came over for a massive decorating party. They turned out really well. I make the best sugar cookies if I do say so myself.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 10:13 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I use 1 stick of butter, melted with 4 T of cocoa. Beat in 1 box of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Add milk to get to desired consistency.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 3:13 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Made my turkey cookies, first batch burned.
Will decorate later tonight.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 8:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well darn, what icing are you using?

Sugar

08-15-2000

Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 11:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
I just made frosting with powdered sugar, a bit of butter and a splash of milk and vanilla. I started with white, then made yellow, then orange. After I made the orange it occurred to me that my yellow turkeys might look like big chickens. I ran out of cookies before I tried to make any chocolate frosting, lol. I didn't do any fancy decorating, just mini chocolate chip eyes and various sprinkles. For all my bragging, not my best batch.

Dang, I should have tried to make the orange turkeys look like trump!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 8:23 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I love sugar cookies. And shortbread cookies...they are my favorite!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 12:23 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Hahahaha. Sugar, maybe you can add some extra sprinkles for hair on the orange ones.

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 3:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
That would have been pretty funny.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 4:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Question: I'm making Thanksgiving dinner for the first time this year; a friend who really loves my cooking has stage 4 cancer and asked me to, so how could I refuse? Said friend is also sort of a southerner (West VA), so I thought I'd make cornbread stuffing for the meal.

I need a recipe. I'd like to make as much of this in advance as possible, so I'm planning to do a ton of stuff this weekend, including making soup, cranberry sauce, and the cornbread. I'd appreciate any help I can get for making legit southern style cornbread. TIA

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 4:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Tishala, you are so sweet. I don't ever do cornbread stuffing but I bet Trisha Yearwood, who is good and southern, has one. She has a cooking show and I have tried her recipes and enjoyed them.

If you don't hear from any Southern TVCHer's here is her link. http://www.onecountry.com/trisha-yearwood-turkey-and-dressing-recipe-2094426489.html

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Thanks Dipo. Unfortunately, that's a cornbread and turkey casserole and it doesn't have a recipe for the cornbread! LOL.

The thing is, cornbread seems like an article of faith for people, too, and the only thing I can determine is that people like to have a 3:2 (or so) ratio of corn meal to flour and should include buttermilk (although some recipes have sour cream for extra tang) and should have very little sugar. I've been looking at recipes for hours now.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 5:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I think my DD knows how to make cornbread but I don't think she knows cornbread stuffing. I'll ask her though.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 5:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
If I have the cornbread recipe, I should be fine. That's actually what I want TBH. I know about the sage, celery, onion, egg, stock, etc for the stuffing

Treasure

06-26-2002

Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 5:30 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
I read somewhere that true southern cornbread does not mix flour with the cornmeal. Western style corn bread does mix flour with cornmeal.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 5:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
This sounds like the true southern cornbread that I have heard before.

http://www.food.com/recipe/southern-cornbread-4515

Tishala

08-01-2000

Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 5:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
That looks like a winner, Treasure. Thanks. I have stone ground yellow corn meal rather than white, but I don't think that'll make much of a difference.

Treasure

06-26-2002

Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 5:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
I hope she enjoys it. ehehe Being a westerner, I prefer the western style. But your friend, being a southerner, will most likely be reminded of her mother's or grandmother's cornbread.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, November 17, 2016 - 6:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well shoot, I didn't really peruse the recipe, but I know I have seen her make the cornbread stuffing. I make cornbread all the time, I use the recipe on the back of the cornmeal, but I like it a little sweet so I use a quarter cup sugar.

That's the way my grandma in Oklahoma made it.

Heckagirl631

09-08-2010

Friday, November 18, 2016 - 12:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Heckagirl631 a private message Print Post    
I am southern. I don't have exact measurements. I am more of a "dump" cook, as my sister calls us.

I make a skillet of cornbread the day before, no sugar for this recipe. The next day, in a large bowl, I crumble the cornbread up. Toast 4 slices of bread, let them cool and tear into pieces, adding to the cornbread. Add l chopped onion, cooked. Add 4 eggs, and a can of chicken broth. Stir up and add sage, however much you want. I go by how it smells, mostly. Stuff the turkey with the dressing and roast as directed.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, November 18, 2016 - 12:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Most of us southerners just buy jiffy cornbread mix...LOL!

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, November 18, 2016 - 12:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Really, Roxip? And here I thought Juffy was more "northern" because it always strikes me as really sweet