TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 15, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: tack Cooking Corner: QUICK QUESTIONS: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 15, 2016 users admin

Sugar

08-15-2000

Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 5:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Sugar a private message Print Post    
Thanks Dipo. I did find one online I plan to try. Most of them seem to be caramel only by the frosting

Wargod

07-16-2001

Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 6:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Thanks, I have a whole chicken in the freezer and the idea of cooking it in the oven with 90+ temps was making me kinda sick, lol.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 8:52 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I know what you mean, when it is hot I try everything in the crockpot.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Friday, May 13, 2016 - 12:28 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
Wargod, you use foil balls on the bottom of the crockpot to keep the chicken out of its own fat.

Comes out just like a roast chicken.

I put my crock pot in the garage when I use it....just to keep even that bit of heat outside.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, May 13, 2016 - 11:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Christy, thanks for that tip! I never would have thought of it. I will use it next time I make any chicken, that is the only thing I hate-having it marinate in grease.

Jewels

09-22-2000

Friday, May 13, 2016 - 4:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jewels a private message Print Post    
My fave recipe for whole chicken in the crockpot..

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/02/25/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/

....and after you take the meat off you can add celery, carrots and onion to the crockpot with the carcass, fill the crockpot with water, set on low overnight, strain, and you have your own chicken stock. Easy!

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 6:10 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Whenever I cook a piece of chuck roast in the crock pot, I don't add any liquid and it's fine. But whenever I cook chicken, whole or parts, just seems to me good quantity of water would be necessary. It isn't? Cook chicken without adding any liquid in the pot? Still moist enough? Even boneless/skinless breasts?

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 8:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
We cook whole chickens in the crockpot all the time. Rather than foil balls, I put a layer of onions and garlic on the bottom, then I squeeze lemon juice, salt, pepper, and rosemary over top, add a wee bit of white wine and throw the lemons in and let it cook all day. It literally falls off the bone. We usually get 3-4 main meals out of one chicken, so I freeze most of it after the first meal.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 12:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
Teach that sounds yummy!

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, May 16, 2016 - 9:14 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Would those same recipes work with just chicken breasts?

Dipo

04-23-2002

Monday, May 16, 2016 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Sure, Roxip. I rarely do a whole chicken, usually thighs/drumsticks and the occasional breast.

I have done something like the recipe Teach said and it turns out great.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, May 16, 2016 - 2:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I might go home and prepare that tonight. I have some chicken breasts in the freezer and probably have most everything else scattered around the house...cool!

Wargod

07-16-2001

Monday, May 16, 2016 - 3:20 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Thank you guys! I love the whole chickens during the winter, but it's already too hot to turn the oven on to roast one now.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 2:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
My homemade dressing is too lemony, is there anything I can add to tone it down? TIA.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 5:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
Some kind of vinegar or maybe some honey

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks. I was just looking at an email about foil pacs for the grill.

I don't have an outdoor grill so was thinking they might work in my crockpot. What do you guys think?

Roxip

01-29-2004

Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 2:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
To what end? Will it make the food taste more "grilled" or are you looking to protect your crockpot - if that is the case have you tried crockpot liners?

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Christy had mentioned foil balls, further up the thread, to keep the food out of the liquid, whilst it's cooking. Not sure it will change the taste of the food, though.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Roxip, I was just thinking that it would cook the same way and usually there is not a lot of liquid in the packs, and so the foil would help them cook. Not trying to get a grilled taste.

I don't know, LOL, it was just a thought.

Teachmichigan

07-22-2001

Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 7:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Teachmichigan a private message Print Post    
I put baked potatoes in my crockpot in foil, but I've not tried anything else. Rice wine vinegar in place of lemon juice or a bit more olive oil or even a drop of honey or maple syrup (the real stuff) can smooth out too much lemon in a dressing.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, May 20, 2016 - 7:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I've done baked potatoes (and sweet potatoes) in foil in my crockpot too - delicious.

I'm thinking that maybe the foil packets would be great for corn on the cob in the crockpot.

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, July 15, 2016 - 4:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
New Question
I made spinach dip last Sunday and have some leftover. The dip (cold) just has spinach, artichokes, cream cheese and various cheeses with a little but a half and half to make it smoother.

What I was thinking to do with the leftover dip was mix it with eggs and bake in the oven sort of frittata style.

Do you think the dip is still good? Do you think that would work?

Treasure

06-26-2002

Friday, July 15, 2016 - 4:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Treasure a private message Print Post    
If it was fresh, that would sound really good. But a week old...don't think if I would risk it.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 15, 2016 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
hmmm, none of those items seem to have a short shelf life to me except maybe the spinach. Not sure, did you try a google of "can I use week old spinach dip to make a frittata?" Now I want to know so I am going to go and put that in google, hahaha.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 15, 2016 - 5:59 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Ok, this is what I found...depends on the ingredients and storage. If the base was largely mayonnaise, it will keep for up to about 10 days (vinegar). if it was a cream cheese/sour cream base, more like a week.

Others say only 3 or 4 days.