TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through September 26, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Windows 10: Archive through September 26, 2016 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 11:56 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Will have to answer more fully tomorrow, had a really big real life day today. (if there were such a thing as real life, which there is not)

But, yes, the icons will still be there on your desktop after the upgrade. And yes, Goolge will still be an option, just decline Microsoft's kind offer to let THEM set your defaults, and set your own to Google, etc.

Holly, if you don't get hung up on the endless updates thing, mine took maybe 45 minutes yesterday, but it would also depend on the speed of your internet connection and the speed of your computer's processor. I have wonderful 7 year old laptops with about 4GB RAM each and an average internet connection of about 25 Mbps.

Seamonkey, I am with you on that sledgehammer thing. I think they are wanting an account that may have a credit card linked$$$, because is that not what it is all about nowadays? Sea, a thing that sometimes works when things just get really beyond our understanding, is if you can figure out how to delete individual cookies on whatever browser you are using, go delete any and all cookies with the name Amazon, for example.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 29, 2016 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Somehow I was able to access internet explorer on th small 2 in one device and get the icon on the taskbar, but today I installed win 10 on my desktop and no dice.. so far.

Perfect storm.. I made an appointment with my long-time ophthalmologist and had to download and use new and annoying software, I did the download Windows 10 on my desktop and am less than thrilled, and during the update, American Cancer Society asked us to learn new software, but we can't get it until we sit through a lengthy podcast, which I had to do on the small screen and which was unreadable, super tedious and long and which I accidentally stopped and was forced start over.

I need a punching bag today.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 29, 2016 - 6:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
And neither device is easy to work now.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 10:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
I didn't do it... I am still here and everything is fine. I am on windows 7 and like it. when this computer dies and its a desktop, then I guess I will be forced to when I get something new. I have a little I Pad Mini just in case, but so far I am ok and the world did not end. DAY 1...

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 11:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Well, I decided screw it.. and started using Edge on the desktop with Windows 10. I clicked something that claimed it would move all my favorites and such from another browser and it even offered up internet explorer as that brower so I clicked but don't see my favorites.

On the 12 inch touch screen dual device I now have Windows 10 (it came that way) but do have access to Internet Explorer.

On the Android Tablet.. heaven knows.. I need to go work with Samsung reps to make it usable to me.

And on the Kindle Fire still chugging along with the Silk browser but no feeds (to be honest I don't really think I'd want to watch feeds on it and don't watch them much anyway.)

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Chewpito, I guess it depends on how long there will be support for Win 7. I remember liking it and wasn't so thrilled when I went to 8 with a new machine.

I had 8 point something so I did assume if I didn't switch they'd be supporting it for a fair amount of time.

During my Perfect Storm yesterday (and I neglected to mention that during that storm I had a termite inspector coming and anxiety about that.. well I knew two places they were but the big fear was that they'd long been in my attic in the main building (which has four units). He of course verified that I did have the termites where I'd seen them and their frass, but saw frass that was coming from the fascia boards near the roof on the garage/bonus room building.

But he popped into the attic and immediately said clean as a whistle.. I even urged him to look where they guy in 2009 had said there were termites and he went down there and said it looks great! That's a relief though of course there are three other units in the building. I'm just hoping hard that we don't have to tent anything and even more not the main buiding.

Anyway while I was getting set up for the new ACS software the instuctions warned that it wouldn't work on windows xp (which I actually used and loved on a past computer), so I guess the older the windows version the more likely there will be no support for it from Microsoft, but also that other software you might need might not work on that version.

But there is always Chrome and other browsers.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Hmmmm...well, after all my talk, I'm afraid I'm with Chewpito...stayed with Windows 7 because my laptop is five years and I figured I'll just enjoy it for however much longer it lasts.

Actually, I'd been having problems with the laptop for a while and figured it was on it's way out, so I didn't bother with the upgrade. Then on Thursday I resolved it and it was a simple problem I must have created myself.

A few months back it was telling me I should consider replacing the battery. Well, when I researched the price of a new battery, here in Canada, I thought, "No way, I'll just keep it plugged in...not a big deal."

Then a few weeks ago, the computer kept shutting itself off after 30 minutes. Wow! How annoying is that? So...that's why I figured it was on it's last leg. Then Thursday night, I was mucking about with the power settings and dialed down the brightness of my screen...and lo and behold...no more battery message, no more overheating and no more shutting itself off automatically! lol

So, just duh on me, cos I must have brightened the screen at some point, not realizing all the problems I was creating.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 11:37 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
I did it! Jujukins thanks a million for your advice on installing W10! It's kind of okay. I got EDGE off my taskbar but don't know how to totally get rid of it. I did put back Firefox and IE although finding IE in my system was a chore and a half. But it's done. Just want to really get rid of EDGE completely. Any advice?

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 11:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I tried everything I could do to upgrade but all the windows upgrade would show me was a blank white window. I looked all over for solutions and tried several solutions (hours and hours spent on this) but I couldn't get it to work.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 11:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Ack!!! With all I have going on, I have totally forgotten about the deadline for Windows 10. BUT, I apparently completed my To Do list to get all of my computers upgraded if possible.

quote:

Then a few weeks ago, the computer kept shutting itself off after 30 minutes. Wow! How annoying is that? So...that's why I figured it was on it's last leg. Then Thursday night, I was mucking about with the power settings and dialed down the brightness of my screen...and lo and behold...no more battery message, no more overheating and no more shutting itself off automatically! lol

RB, whenever I have a laptop that does that, the first thing I do is panic and figure up how many back-up computers I have, which at the moment, is about six or seven, counting Bigdog's, then I think (or I Google) and then I come up with DUST. Roll that laptop over and look for vents. Could be best to also Google here, but I usually forget that part in my panic, and then I blow or suck some air through the vents with whatever sucker or blower I have, or both, or whatever I think will get the dust out, and that often fixes that problem on a laptop.

MB, YAY!!!!! So happy you made the upgrade successfully. You probably can just use Edge quite successfully, and Naja or somebody will come tell you it is just fine. (I always trust Naja). BUT, if you want to stay with what is familiar until you get used to the change, I suspect Microsoft has tricked you somehow into making Edge your default browser, which, again, could be just fine, and you can get used to it. But, if you want another browser to be your default, then Google Windows 10 change default browser, and that should get you to instructions as to how to do it.

I currently have 6 laptops. I successfully upgraded all four of my Dell Latitude 2009-2012(?) Intel Core 2 Duo models to Windows 10. I have two older ultra-compact 11" laptops that failed, but are operating on Windows 7. I think I saw that Windows 7 will be supported until Jan or Feb 2020. That should give all of us time to get our money's worth out of our older laptops.

MB, in a couple days, you can remind me in my folder to spill what all I have going on.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 7:45 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Hey Ms. Juju I popped into your folder just now and dropped off a friendly howdy-do. I'm hoping with my wonky old memory to pop in again in a day or so as requested! I will certainly try as I'm eager to hear what all you are up to.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 11:29 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Superstar, (that is what autocorrect calls you, Rupertbear), there is that option.. when you need to, just get a computer with Windows 10 or whatever is new at the time.

My desktop isn't that old, so I had to try..

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 11:33 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Last night, once I found favorites on the Edge v browser it did seem to have favorites loaded from Internet Explorer.

I still have to get used to Edge, but really it I s just a browser..

On the little ThinkPad touchscreen device, I have the Edge and IS icons pinned to the taskbar side by side.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 11:34 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am on the couch in your folder with Mame, eager to hear..

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 12:48 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Juju...yes, I Googled for the dust thingy and checked the vents...they were all clear. Thanks though, for always having my back!

Sea...LMAO...that's hilarious that my screen name comes up as that. It gave e my smile for the day!

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 3:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
anyone know how to stop it from going to sleep and forcing you to enter your password. Its so annoying seems like every time I walk away and come back to the puter I have to enter password

Tresbien

08-26-2002

Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 3:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tresbien a private message Print Post    
Pamy, go into your System Settings (the wheel on your taskbar), select System, and choose Power & Sleep from the left-hand column. That allows you to adjust when your system goes to sleep.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 3:18 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Tres, ty!!!! I just fixed it!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 7:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
RB, try the vacuum and blowing thing anyway, maybe vacuum first, then blow with a hair dryer, no heat. When I do it, I can't see any dust in the vents, but when I blow, dust comes out. Not a lot, but that shutting down without warning behavior stops immediately. You could also have a battery going bad, or maybe a loose connection if you are working on power, and you are actually working on battery and don't realize it.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Monday, August 01, 2016 - 11:44 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
Edge has one major flaw -- the back button doesn't have a drop down list. This is a key feature that is missing. I'm annoyed.

My old laptop did not revive with an install of Windows 10. The install went fine, everything seems to be working as it was before, but it's still dog slow. My new Dell is on it's way. :-) It was time I guess.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Monday, September 12, 2016 - 8:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
I have windows 10. Last night my computer got some updates that took over an hour to install this AM.

Now browsers keep crashing, I get messages about not enough memory and I have Cotera? My guess is this is what is causing the problem. It also shows that something called "connect" was recently installed.

How do I get rid of this mess? Any ideas welcome.

Thanks.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 8:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Christy, I have not had ANY updates that took that long, and I don't seem to have nearly as many updates with Windows10 as I had with Windows 7.

Maybe you mean Cortana, not Cotera? Although I don't see how that would make any difference. Everybody has Cortana if they want to use it.

First thing I would do is run the anti-virus. If you can't find it, type in Windows Defender in your Search box (at the button that used to be the Start button). If that comes back clear, and you are able to download anything, download and install the free version of malwarebytes from malwarebytes.com, then update it, then run it.

If both of those come back clear, then type System Restore into the search box, and try to roll the system back to a date and time before the big download. I am suspecting a virus or malware, just because I didn't get any big download.

Sometimes when you attempt to do a system restore, your anti-virus will block it, and you have to turn it off. In Windows Defender for Windows 10 the place to turn it off is in Windows Defender, click on the gear button, choose settings and move Real Time Protection to Off. There is probably another way to get ot it, but that is the one I know.

Good luck.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 10:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
Thank you.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, September 26, 2016 - 8:22 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
There really was a big long update and how long it took depended on how modern your computer is! It was called an anniversary upgrade.

It took my new laptop no time time, but my older desktop took a while. I'm not sure how long because I set it to take before I went to bed. When I got up it was all done and things were changed. Especially the start menu.

The only setting I am ticked off that was reset was the "paint" settings. Now I have to try to remember the settings I had for the text on my sports schedules and brackets.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3053934/windows/the-windows-10-anniversary-updates-best-new-features.html

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, September 26, 2016 - 9:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
My rather new computer was taken over over night and then took forever to come back in the morning and now it keeps nagging me to turn it off so it can complete the updates.. right in prime time.

I keep saying later but I have to say I resent how windows over the years has just taken over more and more, no matter what you might actualy want.