TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 21, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through August 21, 2016 users admin

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 3:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
(((((((Sea))))))))

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 9:32 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
I had security screen halfs attached to my patio screen doors to keep out the raccoons. So far, so good. Nothing like having a raccoon wonder though the house at night and attack the huge bag of dog food I had for them. They ate well that night.

It is made so that the animals toenails get half caught in the mesh and they give up quickly.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 12:27 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
OG, good idea. And in truth, raccoons can and will kill cats, so I wouldn't want one coming inside.

However, in my area it is the coyotes who are desperate and have been appearing not just in the dark or dusk/dawn but even in broad daylight and have gone through screens to get to animals.

In Irvine (it turned out some woman decided that if she fed the coyotes they would leave animals and kids alone.. stupid because she was just making the coyotes bolder around humans and pets).. they not only had small dogs and cats snatched in front of people but in one case a coyote entered a garage and bit a small child.

My area has been urbanized for years.. my complex has been here since the early/mid sixties.. but we have canals nearby that are mostly dry or marshy and run eventually to the ocean and animals use that area and then make side trips to hunt and outside cats are fair game in their world. And chickens, bunnies, dogs, etc.

I also want a stronger screen door to help against human predators too. Weather is too often too hot to keep the place all shut up since I have no A/C.

I have a feeling your raccoons probably ate so much of that dog food that they probably suffered greatly.. indigestion and if they drank water they may have had the food bloat their stomachs.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Sea, that was several years ago. I still have raccoons wondering through the yard, but Charlie has an understanding with them and no problems…they leave him alone and he leaves them alone.

i have a wonderful little lady come from time to time that I call mama. Over the past 10 years she's brought her kids by. I can tell it is her as she has a notch in her left ear and she always slides the patio screen to get my attention early in the morning when the doors are locked. No babies this year and I'm so glad as she is finally getting a break from a hard job of raising them. I can walk around her and be perfectly safe…but i do use caution. She's a sweetheart. I'm going to be so sad when she no longer shows up. I see her less and less all the time…maybe once or twice every week or so.

Ophiliasgrandma

09-04-2001

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 1:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Ophiliasgrandma a private message Print Post    
Sea, that was several years ago. I still have raccoons wondering through the yard, but Charlie has an understanding with them and no problems…they leave him alone and he leaves them alone.

i have a wonderful little lady come from time to time that I call mama. Over the past 10 years she's brought her kids by. I can tell it is her as she has a notch in her left ear and she always slide the patio screen to get my attention early in the morning when the doors are locked. No babies this year and I'm so glad as she if finally getting a break from a hard job of raising them. I can walk around her and be perfectly safe…but i do use caution. She's a sweetheart. I'm going to be so sad when she no longer shows up. I see her less and less all the time…maybe once or twice every week or so.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 1:28 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I love having a security screen door on the front and have thought about getting a security screen door to the slider on the balcony.

I get a really good breeze when I can keep them open.

I have heard that the security slider screen is pretty expensive, maybe I can get one for Christmas, LOL.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 5:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I bet it is expensive.. the regular screen doors that are really secure are pricey but hey if it helps me be safer and especially helps Katniss stay safer..

My patio with slider.. well of course someone could jump the fence but there would be much easier places to enter nearby condos..

Csnog

07-18-2002

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 9:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
There is a product you can find at Home Depot for your patio slider.
It used to be called a "Charlie Bar" and few personal know what it is. You can find it in the lock section.
I had mine cut down to size as I have a smaller door.
I love it.
Google Charlie bar and see if it would be something you could use.

https://www.amazon.com/Strybuc-16108C-48-Charley-Sliding-Glass/dp/B00106A7WY

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Those are good if the door is closed and I think helps keep a person from just lifting the door out of the track.. but I'm looking for a screen that is more secure mostly to keep coyotes out..

But my front regular door is more of a concern as it faces a green belt area and isn't in my own patio. And the sliding portion of mine is on the inside.. I can put a broom handle in the track .. but the height of that bar is even more secure.

If you walk around here at night in the summer probably half the front doors are open but many people do have the security doors.

Wargod

07-16-2001

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:02 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Thank you all for weighing in on the safety/self-defense class for the girls. We're all in agreement with a lot of what you guys had to say and I'll be calling to rsvp the girls a spot on Monday. We're kinda hoping they'll enjoy the one class enough that they will be interested in the longer one when it comes around again.

Roxip, Kota graduated in June, niece is going into her junior year. Kota is taking a semester, maybe two off, but our agreement is that she takes things like community classes or attends lectures so she's doing something and trying to figure out what she wants to go to school for. That's where I have some worry, some of the classes are in the evening and she's going alone. Now, none are in bad areas and the last one, the instructor and his wife stood outside talking to Kota for the three minutes after class til I got there to pick her up.

And as I told Darren tonight, it's not so much that I expect the girls to be anywhere that is dangerous or alone, but the fact that most of the time, they are buried in their cell phones. Kota's not nearly as bad as my niece about that, but she's still a typical teenager.

Christy358

07-10-2007

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 11:37 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Christy358 a private message Print Post    
I think the class gives them the knowledge that they know what to do. Awareness of the situation is also key. Smart to do the class.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Sunday, August 07, 2016 - 9:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
The Charlie bar I described allows you to cut it down to 3" smaller than your patio door as it has an inner INSIDE slider bar that allows for adjustment for the width of the door.
This allows for a breeze to flow yet keeps the patio door open but in a locked position. It's good for someone who would like security yet have the glass part open and the screen closed.
You just lift the bar and it sits inside the inner side of the patio door when you want to go out or shut it from weather.
They are less than $20 bucks at Home Depot.
As far as the lower portion for animals, I would look for a small metal shop that could cut a mesh metal frame that could be snapped or used in some manner the lower half of your door.
I have to shoo deer out of my garage once in awhile, and cranes love it also. Can't figure out why.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, August 08, 2016 - 10:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Shelby is going away to college on the 20th and all I can do is pray! Well, and give her tons of advice that she will undoubtedly tune most of it out. The only reason she is going directly to college instead of community college is that she has a plan that she's determined to accomplish...she knows what she wants to do with her life and she has convinced me that she is dedicated to her plan.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 12, 2016 - 2:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q: Does anyone know the difference between Grinder and Tinder? I am afraid to google, LOL, and I am curious.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Friday, August 12, 2016 - 2:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Grindr is men for men. Tinder is straight (maybe gay folks use it too? But Grindr is just for men who have sex with men)

Roxip

01-29-2004

Friday, August 12, 2016 - 2:17 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Not sure how accurate this is, but this is from an article I just looked up...

http://www.bdcwire.com/hookups-or-hangouts-comparing-dating-apps-tinder-and-hinge/

A couple of months ago, a male buddy of mine joined Tinder. I questioned his sexuality because the first thing that popped into my mind was “Grinder,” the application designed for male-male hook ups. But no, Tinder is for everyone. This application has taken the concept of “hot or not” and turned it into a way to find your superficial significant other within a designated mile radius. Tinder’s CEO Sean Rand says it’s an app designed to “facilitate a connection between those around you.” Indeed curious about “those around me,” I gave it a whack and allowed the application to access my Facebook profile to market myself to the Tinder pool.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 12, 2016 - 3:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thanks, I was never sure which was which.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 8:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
New Q::: So is the current Star Trek movie, the one in theathers the 2nd, or the 3rd? I was thinking it was the third. TIA.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 9:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It's the third.

The first was the one that started with the birth of Kirk. The second had Benedict Cumberbatch in it as Khan.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 9:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Thank you so much, Kitt. I thought there were three. Took a break from the Olympics and watched into the darkness this afternoon.

Time to go see the new one!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, August 20, 2016 - 10:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
The new one was much better than the second. I'd rate the first 10/10, the second 7/10 and the new one 9/10.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 12:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I agree it was a pretty good movie (better than the second one). It has lots of action and excitement and some pretty good bantering between the crew. However, the script didn't seem as intelligent as many from the original series.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 2:09 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
They seemed to have moved away from intelligent these days. I'm hoping when the new tv series starts (if I get to see it, as it's on CBS All Access) that they worked out that the trouble with Enterprise was that they thought we wanted an action show but we didn't, we wanted intelligence and thoughtfulness.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 2:43 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I read movie reviews at times and so many movies are of the dumb and dumber genre, it seems. I guess that is escape for many and I know I'm overly serious to some in my tastes but it does save me even wanting to go to movies much.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Sunday, August 21, 2016 - 5:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
I'm with you there, Sea.

So many movies made today are completely unappealing.