TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through August 06, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The Cheap Seats: Sports: 2016 Rio Olympics !!!: Archive through August 06, 2016 users admin

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 9:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Entering according to the Portuguese alphabet.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 9:24 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Estados Unidos de America - the USA will be under the "E's".

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 9:29 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I think it is interesting that the athletes can just mingle around once they finish their walk down the center.

Great colors for the Barbados team!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 9:34 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
This really cracked me up, still chuckling.

Heather & Jessica ‏@fuggirls · 31m31 minutes ago
I assume one of Trump's platforms is to take these countries and smoosh them into no more than 10 bc easier to learn -H #OpeningCeremony

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 9:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Heather & Jessica ‏@fuggirls · 17m17 minutes ago

Tape-delay bitching aside, YAY PARADE OF NATIONS! Hooray for hot athletes in a variety of blazers! #Rio2016 #OpeningCeremony
The delight on the faces of the athletes when they walk into the stadium always hits me right in the feelings. #openingceremony #Rio2016 - J

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 9:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
That last commercial had great music so I was walking in time to it as I went to the kitchen, my cat was scared, LOL.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 10:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Some tweets form the earlier broadcast.

Heather & Jessica ‏@fuggirls 2m2 minutes ago
Really? All NBC had on Romania was that Martha Karolyi has transformed US gymnastics?#OpeningCeremony

Johnny Weir ‏@JohnnyGWeir 3m3 minutes ago
The Refugee Olympic Team is beyond inspiring.

امر / Samer ‏@WaladShami 6h6 hours ago
She swam for THREE hours in the sea to push a sinking boat carrying 20 refugees to safety
Yusra Mardini: Olympic Syrian refugee who swam for three hours… independent.co.uk

Johnny Weir ‏@JohnnyGWeir 57s58 seconds ago
The host Brazilian team, samba-sing into the Olympic stadium...So much moxy.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 10:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I love that Rafi Nadal got to carry the flag for Spain, I have missed seeing him in tennis. Hope he does well.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 10:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
The USA kids look very happy. And their outfits look pretty good this year. I remember some years when I was appalled.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 10:16 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
Thanks for sharing the tweets Dipo. The story about the Syrian is one to inspire!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 10:33 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Wow that is some story about the Iranian flag bearer, in both Para-Olympics and Olympics, a woman to boot.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 10:38 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
And they sure do love Italy, hahahaha. Looks like they are running out of room down there on the floor.

LOL, Kiribati flag guy was funny.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 10:53 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
So this must not be a track and field stadium. They just said T&F stadiums are bigger and I was correct, they are starting to have to cram everyone in, LOL.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 10:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I'm falling asleep here on West coast. Night Dipo!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, August 05, 2016 - 11:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
LOL, Kappy, I was just thinking the same thing. Is this ceremony going longer than normal or am I just older.

I am off to the bedroom to watch the rest of it myself. HOpe to stay awake to see them light the torch.

One last tweet that I grabbed earlier.
southpaw ‏@nycsouthpaw 20m20 minutes ago
I'm not entirely sure what that rotating thing behind the Olympic cauldron was, but I kinda want one for my apartment.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 3:17 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Thanks Dipo!! I found the opening ceremony initially underwhelming but perked up whe the teams marched in.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 3:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
The opening ceremony was awful. Not the athletes, just whatever the heck that was with the silver garbage bags.

Csnog

07-18-2002

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 5:16 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Csnog a private message Print Post    
For some inane reason the opening ceremony was shown on time, and was over with by midnight E.T.
I watched it on Canadian TV.
Did NBC tape it?

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 6:38 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
It began at 7 pm est on my Canadian channel CBC. And 7:30 est on my American channel.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 7:02 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thanks for starting the thread. I moved this here to the Sports section and I'll leave a link in the TV Shows area so it's easy to find here.

Kappy

06-28-2002

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kappy a private message Print Post    
I really wanted to see the torch being lit last night and ended up watching it on youtube this morning. It was beautiful! It reminded me of some wind sculptures I had seen years ago in New Mexico.

The cauldron was designed by Anthony Howe of Washington. Here's a link to youtube of him talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ViVTMqHM0

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 8:18 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Canadian TV usually shows these events live, regardless of the time, whereas the U.S. networks sometimes delay showing.

The torch and Olympic flame was definitely a high point.

I love the Olympics but I have to admit I found the opening ceremony a bit boring. I'm enjoying everyone's comments here though. :-)

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
First Gold Medal!

Teen shooter Ginny Thrasher wins USA's first gold medal of Rio Olympics

RIO DE JANEIRO — American shooter Ginny Thrasher won the first gold medal of the Rio Olympics, pulling off an upset in the women's 10-meter air rifle event Saturday morning.

Thrasher, 19, beat silver medalist Du Li of China in the final round with a total of 208.0, setting an Olympic record in the finals. Du finished with 207.0.

Yi Siling of China took bronze as the first medals in Rio were awarded.

Thrasher is an NCAA champion at West Virginia competing in her first Olympics. She wasn't the favorite coming in as Du won gold at the 2004 Athens Olympics. Andrea Arsovic of Serbia is ranked No. 1 in the world and failed to advance to the final. Yi won Olympic gold in the 2012 London Games.
American Sarah Scherer was eighth.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/06/teen-shooter-ginny-thrasher-wins-usa-first-gold-medal/88331356/

Keldogg

08-12-2005

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 8:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Keldogg a private message Print Post    
I just have one word....Tonga.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Saturday, August 06, 2016 - 9:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
I didn't know what you meant, Keldogg 'til I went and looked ...lol.