TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 20, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: All Things Technical: The Help Desk: Windows 10: Archive through July 20, 2016 users admin

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Monday, May 30, 2016 - 9:00 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
LOL, Rupertbear2, yes, pretty much everybody here is a figment of my imagination, I am sorry to say.

BUT, they are all pretty much nice and helpful figments.

And, so sorry, MB, but I went to bed early last night. As Rupertbear2 pointed out, I realllllly hated Windows 10 the first time I tried it, and found out it was really easy to revert without penalty or angst. On the other hand, and since I always keep a few spare laptops on hand (I buy used ones on eBay at under $200 each for 2-3 year old ones of top rated brands and top-rated models), I am now quite happily using Windows 10, with only the occasional complaint.

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Juju, RPB, & Chewi, the most important thing I learned is that it's imperative to revert back to W7 from W10 within 30 days. I am not exactly sure why tho. I was lucky because I dealt with it immediately.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 - 8:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Good for you Mame....I wont do it...go to 10 that is.. I am happy with my Windows 7 and already feeling panicky that I will not be able to get another when this one gives out....oh my..

Mack

07-22-2002

Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 5:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
I notice that Microsoft is about to cut off the free upgrade to Windows 10. They've already stopped full support of Windows 7 and have set early 2020 as the end of extended support so all you Windows 7 users have some time. At this point I only have one laptop that will not support Windows 10 but I already rarely use it so no big loss if and when it becomes too obsolete to use. Other than still running Internet Explorer rather than Edge on my Windows 10 machines I'll have to say I've been quite happy with the OS especially compared to Windows 8/8.1 that I was running on one or two of our five computers.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 8:50 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Ack! How did it already get to be a year later on Windows 10?

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 10:36 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The end of the month.. per the messages I get. I may not download it..

Naja

06-28-2003

Saturday, July 02, 2016 - 10:40 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
I just don't see how windows 10 is a mistake. I put it on 3 machines and they are all the better for it (desktop, laptop, netbook). I wish I could have gone straight from windows 7 to windows 10 without that somewhat unpleasant stop at at 8 and 8.1 in between.

Mack

07-22-2002

Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 5:48 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mack a private message Print Post    
Have to agree with Naja. I've switched two desktops and one laptop to Windows 10 and have had no trouble. The two desktops were Windows 7 and the laptop Windows 8.1 and all run much better on Windows 10. At least for me very stable and quicker.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 11:20 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
hmmm. my computer guy said no, and I like my 8.1 LOL. Probably won't ungrade until I get a new machine.

Brenda1966

07-02-2002

Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 7:06 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Brenda1966 a private message Print Post    
My current computer is so slow I don't see how it can hurt so I may attempt soon. I was planning to buy another laptop soon anyway, but it would be nice to have two functioning for the teen to have one to use.

Naja

06-28-2003

Sunday, July 03, 2016 - 10:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
There's going to be a big anniversary update coming August 2nd. It looks pretty good.

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-anniversary-update

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
For those of you have not yet upgraded to Windows 10, you might want to try again. Rupertbear and Mameblanche come to mind. I think I told both of you how to revert to Windows 10 and you both did it. Well, with the free upgrade to Windows 10 ending July 29, I decided I probably should try again. I initially upgraded my main laptop in perhaps September of last year. My fonts went all wacky, and it looked like it was going to take forever to straighten it all out. Some months later, I had an identical laptop to experiment with, and I tried upgrading that one to Windows 10, and it went smooth as silk, nothing wacky at all. Huh!

Over the winter I did Windows 10 upgrades for a couple people in the same South Padre Island, TX condo where we rent. Theirs went fine.

So, this month, with the free upgrade offer ending, I decided to get brave again and try to upgrade the one that originally went all wonky almost a year ago, and which I quicky reverted back to Windows 7.

(In the meantime I had purchased a newer laptop that I now use as my main, and it came with Windows 10, which allowed me to get used to using Windows 10. Okay, okay, I now have six laptops. I'll get rid of some of them.)

So, first of all when I got out some of the laptops that had been sitting idle for some months, they would not do any windows updates whatsoever, just sat there and spun and spun trying to download, while the CPU usage zoomed to 100%, as did RAM. After I reinstalled the operating system a couple times and learned that all kinds of folks were having the same problem, I started looking for solutions, and some of them were very convoluted. When the same thing happened on all four idle laptops, I realized it had something to do with Microsoft and not my computer. Here is the solution: Do not try any of the fancy fixes. Just go to your power settings and set them to never turn off the cpu when idle, and then leave the computer on doing updates, even if it takes a whole day. Or two. One day you will return, and the computer will be all updated and will have fixed itself.

Okay, so today after having two laptops fix themselves, I downloaded the Windows 10 onto two laptops (including the one that went wonky last year) and installed Windows 10. BOTH of them are FINE. Fonts look exactly like Windows 7 did. Huh!!

Now, when I was going through the set-up for Windows 10, I learned last year while installing it on other old people's (heh) computers, that we seniors don't like a lot of change all at once. So I said no to using Express Settings, and found a teeny tiny link on the set-up page that said set my own defaults. And then I unchecked all of their recommended defaults. I ignored them wanting me to sign in with a Microsoft account so Microsoft can monitor everything I am doing on MY computer. Then when I got to the start page on the new Windows 10, I declined to use Cortana, and immediately removed the link to the Edge browser (that looks almost like the Internet Explorer icon), so I wouldn't be using Edge when I thought I was using Internet Explorer. There may be nothing wrong with Edge, but I am still not using it.

At any rate, if you are a bit set in your ways, but want to try again upgrading to Windows 10 before the free window closes, you can do as I did with the set-up and keep the changes that you don't understand to a minimum while you get comfortable with Windows 10.

My two upgraded this morning Windows 10 laptops are sitting over there right now just looking swell.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:53 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Thank you for taking the time to post all of that, Juju!

Mameblanche

08-24-2002

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 11:58 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Mameblanche a private message Print Post    
Gosh Juju-dahlink, MANY MANY MANY thanks for this! Not in any hurry but will hopefully remember to do this the last week of the month before the deadline.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 12:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Thanks, Juju. I have been dreading this.. but I have, arriving today, a 2 in 1.. like a small laptop 12", which is also a touch screen tablet and comes with Windows 10, so hopefully I will then feel better installing the free download of 10 on my Windows 8 desktop before the deadline.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 12:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Juju...what a wonderful person you are to let us know how to get around all the voodoo junk just lurking on W10!

I will indeed do as you say and give it another whack, some time next week, when I have time to muck about with the computer.

Big, big hugs, from your #1 fan! :-)

Holly

07-21-2001

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 6:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Juju said: "just go to your power settings and set them to never turn off the cpu when idle"

Does that mean the screen saver or "sleep mode", Juju. If not, where do I find the power settings? TIA

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 6:42 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Juju rocks!!! I have had windows 8 for a year and lliked it. Had heard bad things about 10 so didnt upgradde then someone said if you like windows 8 you will like 10 its better. so i upgraded. so far so good but i miss having all those bright color window tiles on the start up that i could just click on word, pics, internet etc.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 7:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
Pamy, those tile thingies should still be there, like you might have to hit the Start button, and then they come up there. OR, I am absolutely sure you can make Windows 10 behave like Windows 8. Yep, you can. Just Google it. Well, I didn't actually READ the links but there were a bunch of them.

Holly, not the screensaver. I think what you want is probably called sleep on some of the older operating systems (remember you can only upgrade Windows 7 or 8 for free). Or you go to your Control Panel, which should be listed on the right side menu that pops up when you hit the Start button, and then you should see about 30 control panel icons, and one of them should be power settings. If you are going to have your computer on for a long time, like to try to get the updates unstuck, you will need to be on AC power, so you only need to change the one that says Do This When Plugged In, and it should be the very last item that is the important one. Or, you can also Google Change power settings Windows XP, Windows 7 etc.

Seamonkey, you will do just fine with the pre-install of Windows 10, but again, if it is just too much stuff coming at you at once, you can shut down a few of the default items until you get a feel for it. It drove me batty when I first tried it, all this stuff flying at me and everything syncing all over the place and stuff appearing on other computers I never put it on.

To me, the main thing to get used to with Windows 10 is using that start button to find practically everything in my computer. In previous Windows versions, I just memorized where to find everything, but then as Windows started coming out with all these improved versions, stuff was no longer where it should be. And so now, I totally rely on my Start button to find anything. Notice that there are several places you can search using the Start button. Sometimes I get careless and hit Web when I meant to search my computer, and then you will get startled when a browser opens.

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 7:21 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
MB, you may want to try it several days before the deadline, just in case you get that Windows won't update thing. Some people are saying that with the deadline looming, Microsoft downloads is getting overwhelmed, and THAT is the delay, not your computer. After my experience with FOUR laptops in the past month, I would also speculate that is the case.

ALSO, if the updater gets stuck it will slow down the rest of your computer until you get it unstuck, and the only way to get it unstuck is leaving it alone for a long time. If you have a back-up computer or a friend with a loaner, now is the time to make contingency plans just in case your computer would be out of commission updating for 24-36 hours. Yes, yes, I know, Big Brother is underway right now. Terribly thoughtless of Microsoft to end the free upgrades right during Big Brother.

Holly

07-21-2001

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 7:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
Thanks Juju :-)

Pamy

01-01-2002

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 8:10 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
Great idea Juju!!!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 10:07 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I got the device with windows 10 today and after getting it to use my wifi I did look at your suggestions and I did decline their express setup and cortana and chose to use my own email address to set up an account.

But trying to download a couple of apps and it says Choose an Account

Cortana
Microsoft Corporation

neither of which I want to use. I've never had to have an account just to download an app on my Kindle Fire (ok I have an Amazon account) and didn't think I had to have one for my Win 8 desktop either but maybe I did.. so I skip choosing and then go to download the free app and it just says loading.. endlessly. I swear I want to take a sledgehammer to all new devices lately.

Chewpito

01-03-2004

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 12:00 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Chewpito a private message Print Post    
Maybe this is a dumb question but are all your icons still there, your bookmarks and Is google still an option? I use Firefox and Google and all my stuff is bookmarked. Also will I still have my outlook express and will all my emails still be there that are saved and stuff like that> I am clueless and tend to loose my mind when the computer is down...

Holly

07-21-2001

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 6:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Holly a private message Print Post    
How long should the download take, all going well that is?