TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 12, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The only Dumb question is the one not asked (Q&A): ARCHIVES: Archive through July 12, 2016 users admin

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 11:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Great to hear, Naja.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it wasn't just a fluke.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 1:35 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Sleep -- it's a good thing. I've developed bad sleep habits. My fault.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 1:54 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
At least in the later years while working, I averaged app. six hours per night. I guess it was enough -- I functioned OK. When my head hit the pillow, I was out within a couple minutes. Slept soundly until alarm when off. Every night almost without fail. Developed the bad habits since I was able to quit working (I have a problem with the word "retire") in 2002.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 1:55 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Juju, years ago I rescued a basically new thighmaster out of our dumpster at my old condo and did use it the same way.. for upper body.

I need to get some exercise bands for sitting around.. good idea.

A soulmate.. well I'm not looking but you still can be active and interact with people and remember walking is a load bearing exercise.

Yes, walk a dog, but as I've been told.. walk the dog, take it home and then go on a WALK. Of course some dogs will make you WALK anyway. Friends of mine adopted retired racing greyhounds.. well of course they take them to run at a dog park but you couldn't run into sweeter dogs!!

I'll stick with my cat, but I let my volunteer work get me out to be active and keep those bones as dense as I can (not as dense as one would like of course but I have ridiculously tiny bones).

Good job, Naja!!

Be sure to read side effects.. as I recall you will be a bit more sensitive to sun, so remember the sunscreen when you will be out there but so worth it if you start getting good sleep..

Color, I lost both parents to smoking.. though they made it to 79.5 and 80, my mom's emphysema drastically limited her last several decades, and his too, just from the worry about her. He was diagnosed with a lung lesion just days before the nurse pushed the wrong tube through the good lung and did him in.

and I never smoked for the exact same reasons!!

Juju2bigdog

10-27-2000

Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 8:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Juju2bigdog a private message Print Post    
The melatonin should work. Also, I read somewhere that if you take a calcium supplement, take it near bedtime, as it might also make you sleepy.

And, strangely enough, sometimes when I am not sleeping, instead of getting all upset about it, I just pretend I am asleep, and sometimes I AM.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 9:58 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Or hypnotize yourself. Once upon a time I had to remove myself from a situation (nothing bad). Used my mind to remove myself, etc. Some years later I was able to talk to couple people separately who had formal education in that kind of thing. They both said that I had hypnotized myself. I remember coming to a couple times. I had been deep into it. That was one time years ago. Never really tried again. Did get a book. Said could use hypnotism to fall asleep.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 10:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I take a lot of calcium/D3 but half is at bedtime. Also take magnesium at bedtime (for restless leg symptoms and I think that also helps with sleep.. or just with the legs which helps with sleep.

Experts also tell us to limit caffeine later in the day and not to watch tv or use computers, tablets, smart phones in the bedroom, keeping the bedroom for sleep and sex only and to stop staring at screens for the last hour you are awake.

Good luck with some of those.

Also to have the bedroom extra dark.

And not to do strenuous exercise just before bed.. I guess because of endorphins?

But on the other hand to walk and exercise during the day.

And of course if you snore and/or have sleep apnea that should be diagnosed and treated for that for better sleep.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Monday, July 11, 2016 - 6:57 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
And keep the bedroom cool for sleeping.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, July 11, 2016 - 6:59 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Magnesium for restless leg symptoms? I might have to try that. Is the definition of restless leg syndrome where you feel like your legs are about to cramp and they kind of jitter (sorry, can't think of a better way to describe it - kind of like an itch that doesn't itch) instead?

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Monday, July 11, 2016 - 7:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Yes, I think you're right, Roxip. Some people describe it as spiders crawling around on the inside of their skin.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, July 11, 2016 - 7:40 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
It's very annoying, no matter what it is! I am fortunate that it doesn't happen to me all the time but if there is something that I can take that will help it happen less I will certainly try it!

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 11, 2016 - 10:06 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Yes.. I actually get those jittery spiders sensations sitting in my chair in the evening. Sometimes I take the magnesium oxide (MagIc by Blaine, which my doctor says is the most quickly absorbed and doesn't need to be taken with food),earlier.

I think it helps.

The neurologist put me on Mirapex which at that time was a Parkinson's drug being used off label for restless leg.. since then rebranded as Requip for restless leg.. only after I stopped taking it did they start reporting that it could exacerbate addictive tendencies.. in my case it was shopping.. I bought some things online.. eBay and QVC that just made no sense at all.. costly. Thankfully for me it wasn't sex or drugs or alcohol or reckless driving..

I will stick with the magnesium..

Jeep

10-17-2001

Monday, July 11, 2016 - 11:03 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jeep a private message Print Post    
I've noticed that my restless legs happens when I get extra warm under the covers at night. I keep my bedroom extra cool and it really seems to help.

I've also noticed my legs bother me at any time during the day after I have taken Tylenol for any kind of pain, headache, backache, etc. Don't know what connection that has, but it's sure true for me.

And Sea, that Requip does have some awful side effects. My mom took it for years for her Parkinson's disease. I hope I never have to take it.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, July 11, 2016 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
Thanks for the info. Mine happens when I have sweet caffeine drinks later in the evening for the most part (I rarely do but you know us Texas girls and their sweet tea - sometimes we just can't resist!).

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 11, 2016 - 4:05 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I do think I've had less of a problem since I quit Pepsi (and thus, quit most csffeine, except maybe a bit in chocolate).

That is interesting about Tylenol! I tend to take Advil, thus no Tylenol or Excendrin.

Naja

06-28-2003

Monday, July 11, 2016 - 5:32 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Rupertbear, Guess what? It wasn't a fluke. The melatonin worked 2 nights in a row, I think I got 7 hours of sleep last night. Good sleep. I feel rejuvenated. I actually feel cheerful.

Tishala

08-01-2000

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 7:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Dumb question: has anyone ever had their ear wax removed by a Dr? I've had tinnitus since I was about 14 or so, but it was always mild. A couple years ago, I had a bad cold and was q-tipping my ears (I know, I know!) and they ended up much more clogged than before. Since then, the tinnitus has been worse and some days it's really unbearable.

Anyhow, I've been reading that buildup of ear wax sometimes causes tinnitus (although it's sometimes hearing loss, drug interaction, high blood pressure, etc etc etc), so I started using an OTC ear wax removal system. It's gotten some out, and it's really gross), and I'm sure there will be more because people on Amazon said it can take 4-5 days to really get it, especially if it's been there a while, but part of me thinks maybe an ENT is the way to go.

NB: when I was researching this mess, I stumbled upon youtube videos of Drs removing ear wax from people young and old. It's a veritable cornucopia out there...and every last one of them is absolutely repulsive, but somehow, as grossed out as I was, I couldn't look away.

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 7:35 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Oh yes, I have had a doctor remove the wax. I have a pool and sometimes I get impacted ear wax that the water has forced far back in the ear. The relief is awesome. You don't even realize your hearing was slightly affected until they get the clump of wax out from deep in the ear.

Also, they have a new type gun looking thing that also serves as a vacuum to take back the water that is shot in. So it's not as gross as it used to be. In the past they just forced a stream of water into your ear canal and let the water w/ debris just pour out into a bowl for all to see.

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 7:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
Yes, my Dad has had ear wax removed on more than one occasion by his doctor, Tishala. It's quite effective.

Yay, (((Naja)))...I'm sooo happy to hear it's helped. :-)

Tishala

08-01-2000

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 7:50 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Tishala a private message Print Post    
Huh. Well you could knock me over with a feather. I honestly thought this was uncommon and I felt kinda strange for asking it. I guess it's not as strange as I thought. So Naja and RB, does the GP do this or do they refer you to an ENT? Or maybe a nurse can?

Naja

06-28-2003

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 7:54 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Naja a private message Print Post    
Tish, I just mention it at the time of my regular appt with my family doctor, and they just walk me to the room with ear gun and do it on the spot. My actual doctor did it for me, but I bet some places have a nurse do it. I even asked her why she was doing this herself, and she says she loves the instant gratification from it because there's very little she can do for patients in the office where she gets to see the results instantly in the form of a happy patient.

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 8:01 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
Yes it works great. They may give you something to put in your ears to soften the wax and then have you come back but that's about it. The difference in hearing can be amazing.

Roxip

01-29-2004

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 8:21 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I had an uncle who thought he went deaf - turns out he had an accumulation of fibers in his ears from years of using Q-Tips. Once they were removed he could hear again...weird right?

Rupertbear2

07-15-2015

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 8:36 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Rupertbear2 a private message Print Post    
I sure hope this works for you, Tish. My Dad's doctor did it himself, in the office.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
I wonder if the build up of wax is related to what type of wax you produce?

Myths of Human Genetics: Earwax type: The myth - The reality

http://udel.edu/~mcdonald/mythearwax.html