TVCH FORUMS HOME . JOIN . RESIZER . DONATE . CONTACT . CHAT  
                  Quick Links   TOPICS . TREE-VIEW . SEARCH . HELP! . NEWS . PROFILE
Archive through July 18, 2016

Reality TVClubHouse Discussions: General Discussions: The "I don't know what thread to put this in" thread...: ARCHIVES: Archive through July 18, 2016 users admin

Texannie

07-15-2001

Friday, July 15, 2016 - 4:05 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Texannie a private message Print Post    
The Houston Zoo has almost tripled their admissions because they evidently have quite a few.
The American Heart Association has jumped on the bandwagon and started a campaign 'get your steps in while you play Pokemon Go'

On the flip side, at a hospital people were going on to the helipad of life flight to catch one.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Friday, July 15, 2016 - 2:47 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Well Kitt, that explains how the hotel full of pedophiles ended up being a site, saw that one on twitter.

Kookliebird

08-04-2005

Friday, July 15, 2016 - 3:51 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kookliebird a private message Print Post    
It was reported in Washington that they were parking their cars in front of fire engine doors, so they had to put Pokémon parking signs up to direct them where to park.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Friday, July 15, 2016 - 6:44 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
The bad.. people not paying attention..

And there was a guy who wandered into a dicey area of Anaheim and was attacked by two men.

But on the other hand at least three major trackers have reported a large rise in the number of steps their users are taking.. starting exactly when this game started and people were downloading the app. So people are getting more exercise. Read about people who are walking partway home instead of taking a bus, etc. This was reported days ago but now they have more stats to start verifying..

Wargod

07-16-2001

Friday, July 15, 2016 - 7:15 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Wargod a private message Print Post    
Apparently, after you capture the Pokemon, you then have to walk to hatch the eggs (and maybe train them? I'm a little fuzzy.) Different ones require different amounts of walking. Dakota has one that requires 3 miles of walking to hatch.

Pamy

01-01-2002

Friday, July 15, 2016 - 7:31 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
wow!!!

Kitt

09-05-2000

Friday, July 15, 2016 - 10:26 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
It'll just be a fad though, and their users will probably stop walking when they switch to another game, it's not as if they've been taught to appreciate the world around them.

Colordeagua

10-24-2003

Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 4:41 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Colordeagua a private message Print Post    
Computer games has kept users sitting alone in front of a computer screen for years. Now Pokemon Go and similar games has users outside walking and communicating in person. Why wouldn't these new virtual reality games have the same long term effect as long as developers can keep users' interest which they want to do because there's $ to be made.

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 7:09 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
There are ways to get around actually walking however...

Still I read the other day that the game is helping people with depression, because it's forcing them outdoors, walking and interacting with other people!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 8:24 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Yep, Karuuna, once of the transit groups here is promoting riding the bus while you hunt for Pokemons, LOL.

Kitt

09-05-2000

Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 11:11 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitt a private message Print Post    
I think the safety backlash will convert all these games to 3D games, which are rapidly becoming very popular. The 3D headsets are really expensive right now, but it won't take long before people willdecde they can't do without one.

Dipo

04-23-2002

Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 1:41 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
I just read a tweet about a teenager that walked onto a highway and of course, was hit. I am not sure how that happens, don't you hear the cars and look up?

Pamy

01-01-2002

Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 3:46 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Pamy a private message Print Post    
hackers shut it down today. My poor son agreed to go to Huntington Beach with us so he could get pokemon and the ap was down all day. lol

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Saturday, July 16, 2016 - 4:11 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
We need this in Canada. Poor deprived Canadians.

Kitkat

08-23-2008

Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 9:26 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Kitkat a private message Print Post    
A good thing - a young girl (10-12) was walking down my street looking at her phone. Walking with her was her Dad - watching for her and her safety. Good Job, Dad!

Also have seen players riding their bikes and others on skateboards.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 10:30 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Kitt and there would go the healthy aspects.. live in "virtual reality" and lose your health.. maybe in the future everyone will be unable to move or experience the actual world.

As for people, not just kids being oblivious to traffic, I see it all the time with walkers and bike riders.. and they are nose deep in their phone and often also have headphones on, so they don't see, or hear danger approaching.

Add to that all the quieter vehicles out there. I know they have actually added a noise on the Prius when the speed is really low because the early models were SO silent that people wouldn't hear them in parking lots or on the street.

I like the idea of having a "designated watcher" for those so engrossed.

Interesting about the hackers.

Jimmer, I suspect this will appear in Canada quickly.

I think this is a good thing and has great potential.

Love what you reported about depression, Kar!

Dipo

04-23-2002

Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 3:04 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Dipo a private message Print Post    
Jimmer, hahahahaha.........CBC News Alerts @CBCAlerts Pokemon Go now officially available in Canada, according to app's Twitter. Many Canadians were already using app through tech work-arounds.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 3:25 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Go Jimmer!!

Jmm

08-15-2002

Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 4:12 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jmm a private message Print Post    
Draheid and I both took Melodie out yesterday at different times to hunt for her Pokemon. LOL

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 4:19 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
See? All three of you getting out and about.. nothing bad about that..

Jimmer

08-30-2000

Monday, July 18, 2016 - 6:12 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Jimmer a private message Print Post    
I told my DD that I'd be getting it when we get home. She thinks I'm a three year old.

(Shows I still have my youthful vigor! )

Roxip

01-29-2004

Monday, July 18, 2016 - 9:04 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Roxip a private message Print Post    
I was driving with my daughter the other day and she yells "STOP!" I pull over and look at her - thinking she is ill or something - and she was capturing a Pokémon. OH MY!

Karuuna
Board Administrator

08-30-2000

Monday, July 18, 2016 - 9:07 am   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Karuuna a private message Print Post    
I have also begun hearing reports that it is helping autistic children too, not only in getting out, but also in breaking routine and social interaction (with other Pokemon searchers). It's pretty amazing.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 18, 2016 - 8:03 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
I am tempted but I'm not much for having my cell on or using up minutes, but... I do wonder how many poke things I could find at various hospitals..

I read that one PD put some highly sought after creatures in their lobby and they contacted a bunch of people with outstanding warrants.. to let them know, hoping they will be lured in.. I assume they didn't mention the location was the PD.

Seamonkey

09-07-2000

Monday, July 18, 2016 - 8:08 pm   Edit Post Move Post Delete Post View Post Send Seamonkey a private message Print Post    
Kar that is super about the autistic kids being helped.. actually some adults probably would enjoy it too.